Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: Bridge ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  12:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for finding and posting that link Matt. What a thrill it was to have my layout featured in a magazine. Too bad it only survived about another year. Hopefully this new one will someday get to the same level of completion.

Mark

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  2:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt,that was a nice trip back in time in the "WAYBACK" machine. Mark, you'll have to add that link on the Northern Division Homepage. Hueber

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  10:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-

Glad I was able to find it on the internet. It'll be fun to watch the new and improved version come together. Speaking of which, word out there is that you're seriously considering running "live" loads between Glen Burn and the PP&L plant. Hope it's something that will come to be.

Looking forward to the next update. Hope all is well.

MK

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  01:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The engineering department is pondering this operational challenge. However, members of the operations department have taken issue with this 'live load' proposal and presented their argument to the Executive Research committee who in turn has fowarded copies to the safety committee, maintenance department and accounting department. Their concerns are being considered and a decision will be forthcoming.

Mark

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  06:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcmatt

Mark-

Speaking of which, word out there is that you're seriously considering running "live" loads between Glen Burn and the PP&L plant. Hope it's something that will come to be.

MK

News travels fast.
Brought a smile to my face when I read this.

As you think, so will you be.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  07:39:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone notice the time stamp on Matt's post? It appears to have been made between the first and second blast furnace taps......apparently the Harsco Supervisor wasn't monitoring the Herr Street Operator very closely last night! A complaint has been filed with the Safety Department.....

Edited by - Harsco on 03/26/2011 07:40:29 AM

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  10:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, Live loads, The plans are drawn, Steel has been ordered from Harsco and shipment is due soon. Steam Inc. fab shop is ready and other venders are on line for parts.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  11:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

Hmmmm, Live loads, The plans are drawn, Steel has been ordered from Harsco and shipment is due soon. Steam Inc. fab shop is ready and other venders are on line for parts.

Hmmm...let's see....using the Mark F patented Formula of Required Rolling Stock, I would calculate he'll need at least 36 hopper cars - 12 at PP&L, 12 at Glen Burn, and 12 enroute. That works out to (based on two per car), 72 hopper car training wheels....LOL

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  12:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

News travels fast.
Brought a smile to my face when I read this.

Yeah, isn't it funny? Seems this 'topic' bounces around from thread to thread. Matt is the trouble maker, but that's ok. He's relying on me to get his railroad wired and running.

Hmmmm, now what did I do with those wire cutters?

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  4:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What? No new progress photos? Surely Steam did something on your layout while I was away?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  11:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob! Welcome back! Well, there's progress, but nothing earth shattering. I guess I'll have to take some pics and update the thread. Been working on laying tracks in the yard and some wiring.

Mark

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  7:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-

When are the pics of Sunbury yard coming? Can't wait to see it.

MK

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  09:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Matt, you asked for it!

Unfortunately, visual progress has slowed considerably. It's been a hectic past few months at work, etc., so I've only been able to put a few hours here and there into the layout, but I have made some progress.

As you may remember, one of my big accomplishments was finishing my workbench, which I wrote about in this thread...

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32241

I knew that completing the workbench would slow down layout progress, and I was right! I’ve been spending a lot of time at the workbench assembling car kits and doing other small projects. As you can see, the workbench is no longer as neat and clean as it was back in January!

But I have managed to make some progress on the railroad. After completing the mainline on the lower level, I turned my attention to Northumberland Yard. As mentioned earlier, when it comes to drawing track plans, that is one talent I do not have! I had a good idea of what I wanted to do, so it was simply a matter of laying out turnouts and track, doing some measuring and finding the final track arrangement that met my needs.

Northumberland would have 12 classification tracks, two arrival/departure tracks and the associated engine facility. And, for as much room as I have, there just doesn’t seem to ever be enough room, does there? But I am happy with the final arrangement.

This first view is from the ‘operators desk’ at Northumberland and is the view he will have. The yard lead is directly in front of him (to the left in the photo) and from this position, he has a clear view of all tracks and easy reach of the area. The arrival departure tracks (which aren’t installed yet) will be in the space between the classification tracks and the main line. The engine facility will be down at the other end of the yard and come under the control of the yard master at Northumberland.

To maximize the length of the yard, I built a compound ladder from the turnouts I had from the old layout. These are Shinohora (Walthers) #4 code 70 turnouts, all of which were on the old layout. This means each one had to be cleaned to remove the old ballast, and in some cases repaired! This slowed me down quite a bit, but considering the cost of replacing these turnouts today, it was well worth the effort.

Each turnout has a slot cut in underneath it for machines that will be installed later on so that the yard operator can control the yard from a panel without having to reach in to throw turnouts.

I have also completed installing the benchwork for the upper level staging yard in the back room. Just like my approach on the lower level, I plan to install this yard next and begin working my way out with laying track for the two branch lines.

From here, the track to the immediate right in the photo will make it’s way across the ‘Barrett Bridge’ and into Mt. Carmel on the Shamokin Secondary track.

The trackage at the far end of the staging yard will make its way out to the left and into Wilkes-Barre and onto the Wilkes-Barre branch.

In this view, you can see the area that will eventually become ‘North Wilkes-Barre’. I have already laid out some road bed for the branch that comes out of staging (the hole in the wall in the distance). The area to the left will be industrial switching for Wilkes-Barre. From here, the branch line will continue behind me into Buttonwood Yard, which is already in place.

So, while not a lot of progress, it is progress.

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  09:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, progress indeed. Each step along the way seems to take other steps first - like cleaning/repairing those turnouts. However, that is one of the things that makes the hobby enjoyable.

BTW, I better not let Bonnie see that nice bench and storage area you have. Even with the 'works in progress' on the bench, it puts my area to shame.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee Mark, this is going to be a whopper of a pike..

Cheers!, Joe

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000