Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Ambitious Project ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: looking for switch machine
Page: of 97

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  08:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice going Mark. It's great to run that first train, huh? The first of many, many, many....

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  10:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you Matt! Don't be a stranger!

Thanks Arnold. Yes, many, many more trains. My goal is to get the layout into operating mode. I still have a long way to go to get there, but I'm hoping in the next year or so.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  09:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, it's been a while, hasn't it? Well, I have made some progress, although nothing really worthy of photographs.

With the mainline in and running, I'm now going back and tying up some loose ends. In Sunbury, I connected the mainline to the Shamokin branch and Wilkes-Barre branch where they enter the wall and onto the helix.

I then turned my attention to Northumberland Yard, which has proven to be a task! First, I wasn't happy with my original design, so I played with some alternatives and finally settled on one that I like better. I am now laying that out, but this again has been time consuming. Since I am using turnouts from the old layout, each turnout that I install requires cleaning, removing the old ballast, triming, etc. Talk about time consuming! But it is progress.

My most recent, and biggest accomplishment is my workbench! I finally got around to installing the paint booth and shelving. Now I can finish stocking the work bench and do some modeling between working on the layout. Compare this picture to the one on page 10 of this thread.

I posted a thread on how I built this at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32241

So, that's about it for now. Perhaps in my next post, I'll have something more worthy of photographs!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 01/25/2011 09:42:36 AM

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  09:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, that looks nice! I have a kitchen that needs to be redone, ,

Phil

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  4:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Mark. You even got rave reviews from the Mrs.-LOL!!!

Quick question to address the elephant in the room, where's the update on the helix?

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  4:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, but I didnt see any projects on the bench. LOL
P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  8:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice workbench, Mark. That looks like a great space for model building. I'm looking forward to some pics of Northy yard!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  8:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Well, with this project out of the way, I sat down today and actually began assembling a kit! It's the first time in well over three years that I've been able to do that. I'm getting back into the groove now.

Matt, as for the helix, well, the workforce has been distracted! I need to get him back over here to resume that project. Not that he's holding me up or anything. Lord knows I have enough to keep me busy for the next year or two without the helix!

And Vagel, the yard is a work in progress. With the thinking part behind me, visual progress will be forthcoming!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  05:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what kit?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  6:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing exciting Ralph, just a freight car kit for now. I'm getting myself back into things. BUT, I do have a couple of wood kits sitting on the shelf calling my name! Soon!

Mark

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  7:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking stuff! So how long will it stay that neat? ;-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  8:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dave: that's way too nice to actually mess up with tools, open bottles of paint, extra knife blades, glues, leftover parts, crumbled paper towels, drill bits....oh wait a sec, that's what MY workbench looks like!

Ralph: it took three years to get to this point....he's got "modeler's block" now! LOL

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  12:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

... Vagel, the yard is a work in progress. With the thinking part behind me, visual progress will be forthcoming!

Mark, forgive me, but I was born too late to see the real thing and I'm like a kid dancing from foot to foot waiting to see his first hoochy kootchy dancer at the sideshow! Meanwhile, I'm fakin' it down in Chambersburg as I wish it coulda' been.

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  01:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark, a beautiful job with the work bench. When I first saw it, I thought it was a dispatcher's desk. Like they've already said, way too nice for a work bench!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  11:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-

Found this link to an article published in Railmodel Journal in May 2006 on your previous Northern Division Layout. Thought it would be great to share with everyone that is following your thread here.

http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/41/2966/may-2006-page-46

Great read that I think all will enjoy.

MK

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

Page: of 97 Topic Next Topic: looking for switch machine  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000