Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 59 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: Bluegill ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  07:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Helix was stopped for non payment of the labor force. LOL!!!!!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  08:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the major milestone, Mark. Enjoy watching those Pennsy trains run.

Pat, that’s not a crummy, it’s a “cabin car” (Pennsy). I see we need an education program on the forum.

George

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  08:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Congratulations on making a major milestone, It's always a great feeling when you can finally get to run some trains.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belg

Mark, congrats on getting to this milestone. The crummy with the red marking lights, did it come that way or did you install them? Who makes it if they came with it? Pat

Pat, thanks for noticing that little touch! As George already corrected, us 'Pennsy' guys call them 'cabins'.

As for the working lights, I installed them. The PRR typically had two on the end of a cabin car. Basically, in the 60's, these were battery operated flashers, very similar to the old yellow flashers you might see on the roadway barricades of the time, but these had metals boxes under the light that held the battery. So each of these lights flashed independently.

I have a section on my website that explains how I did it, but basically I used metel wheels with pickups made by Jay Bee. For the circuit, I used the alternating strobe circuit made by Miniatronics. I am really pleased with how it looks!

You can read about it on my site: http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/tricks.html#marker

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

Very good Mark! Have you had your grand daughter down to try out a throttle yet?

I see what appears to be an unfinished helix in the background of one of those photos. How is that going?

Joe <><

No, she hasn't seen the railroad yet, but don't worry, I have a Thomas the Tank Engine that will be set aside for her eventual appearance! She will be trained on the finer aspects of operations in the years to come.

Now, as for the helix, there appears to have been a work stoppage! We are currently in negotiations with the Union, but management may be forced to bring in 'outside help'. Stayed tuned for updates on this developing story!

Mark

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So were these "marker lights" and were they always RED? They look really cool. I am considering something like that on future caboose/cabin/van/waycar/crummy builds.
I will definitely look at your website for technical details.
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

quote:

Mark, congrats on getting to this milestone. The crummy with the red marking lights, did it come that way or did you install them? Who makes it if they came with it? Pat

Pat, thanks for noticing that little touch! As George already corrected, us 'Pennsy' guys call them 'cabins'.

As for the working lights, I installed them. The PRR typically had two on the end of a cabin car. Basically, in the 60's, these were battery operated flashers, very similar to the old yellow flashers you might see on the roadway barricades of the time, but these had metals boxes under the light that held the battery. So each of these lights flashed independently.

I have a section on my website that explains how I did it, but basically I used metel wheels with pickups made by Jay Bee. For the circuit, I used the alternating strobe circuit made by Miniatronics. I am really pleased with how it looks!

You can read about it on my site: http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/tricks.html#marker

belg
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  5:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, thanks for the link to the how to. Here I thought I was being so smart by calling it a crummy, live and learn. This will be something I'll do soon enough, do you have any idea when these came into common practice? Pat

George, I'm all in for the education!!! Since I only repeat things like a parrot right now and am often wrong. ;-)

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vic, I'm not sure what they were officially called, but for lack of a better term, yes they were marker lights. And yes, to the best of my knowledge, they were always red, indicating the rear of the train. Thanks for your comments. Yes, I like they way they look heading down the track! And it's really an easy installation as well. And the added bonus for me is since I have detection, it makes the cabin car detectable!

Pat, I couldn't tell you exactly when the battery operated lights began showing up on the railroad, but my best guess would be in the 40's, if not earlier. Perhaps someone else may be able to give us better information.

Mark

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  11:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mark, thanks for the link to the how to. Here I thought I was being so smart by calling it a crummy, live and learn. This will be something I'll do soon enough, do you have any idea when these came into common practice? Pat

Marker lights have been used since the mid 1800's.

Dave H.

Iron men and wooden cars

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  01:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pat, I couldn't tell you exactly when the battery operated lights began showing up on the railroad, but my best guess would be in the 40's, if not earlier. Perhaps someone else may be able to give us better information.

Don't know exactly when the battery flashers started to show up, but I suspect it was later than you surmise, Mark. The PRR's kerosene marker lamps, painted yellow with a single red lens facing rearward, lasted well into the mid-20th Century. As just one example, I was able to find a picture of them on an N5C dated Aug. 20, 1956, on p. 72 of Bill Caloroso's Pennsylvania Railroad's Elmira Branch (Andover, NJ: Andover Junction Publications, 1993). They didn't flash, but they did flicker.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  08:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Mark. A milestone worth celebrating, for sure.

BTW, is this some kind of hi-tech wheel cleaning pad?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  10:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dutchman, that looks like the "Official, authorized EMD bubble wrap" that EMD packed all their GP's in in the early 50's. It was superceded in the late 60's by foam peanuts and later by a large foam rectangle with the shape of the locomotive routed out. Trash day at the roundhouse after delivery of a few of these must have been horrendous. <lv4142003>

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  8:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vagel Keller

quote:

Don't know exactly when the battery flashers started to show up, but I suspect it was later than you surmise, Mark. The PRR's kerosene marker lamps, painted yellow with a single red lens facing rearward, lasted well into the mid-20th Century. As just one example, I was able to find a picture of them on an N5C dated Aug. 20, 1956, on p. 72 of Bill Caloroso's Pennsylvania Railroad's Elmira Branch (Andover, NJ: Andover Junction Publications, 1993). They didn't flash, but they did flicker.

Thanks Vagel! Yes, it was a best guess for me. I know most of the pictures I see them in are in the 50's and 60's, since that is the era I focus in, so I can only guess as to when they exactly started appearing.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  8:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Congratulations, Mark. A milestone worth celebrating, for sure.

BTW, is this some kind of hi-tech wheel cleaning pad?

Actually, Joe isn't far off! It's bubble wrap from the Northern Divisions shops from unpacking some of the engines!

Now that the railroad is well underway, I am slowly unpacking engines and freight cars. It's like Christmas morning all over again!

Bubble wrap for the engines, and I wrapped the frieght cars in paper towels. You should see the pile of paper towels that's growing from all the freight cars I am unpacking. I won't need to buy another roll of paper towels for a year!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 11/20/2010 8:41:49 PM

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  9:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Mark on the layout and the 1st grandkid. Layout looks great. Always enjoy how well you document your progress. Hope all is well.

MK

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000