Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 44 ]  [ Total: 50 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  11:56:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another major milestone has been reached! Today, for the first time, I was able to run a train around the entire first level! Yes, the mainline loop has been completed from staging all the way around the layout and back into staging, and all associated wiring has also been completed. I still have some sidings to lay in, and of course all the industrial trackage and most importantly, Northumberland Yard, but with this milestone reached, I truly feel like Iím finally accomplishing something!

So today, I assembled the first train in staging and took it for a tour around the railroad. Here we have train BF-4 from Buffalo headed to Enola led by a pair of SD-40ís. We have just exited the staging yard at the steps and are headed southbound and approaching Northumberland Yard limits.

Here is BF-4 making itís way past the future home of Northumberland Yard.

After coming around the end of the peninsula, here we see train BF-4 crossing the Susquehanna River and a road bridge before entering the town of Sunbury, Pa. This is the same bridge that was on the old layout. Unfortunately it suffered some damage during the move but this was easily repaired. It is a through truss bridge but the top part of the bridge is still on the workbench getting repairs.

Here we catch the tail end of BF-4 crossing over the Susquehanna River. The bridge piers are permanently set into place.

We are now headed through the center of the town of Sunbury. The Sunbury passenger station will be located just to the right of the engines. In the back round you can see the hole in the wall for the Wilkes-Barre branch and in the middle of the picture you can see the layout for the ĎHorn Trackí which is the Shamokin Secondary as it leaves Sunbury on itís way to the helix.

Continuing south, we now pass through south Sunbury. To the left of the train will be South Sunbury Industrial park, home to a few large industries, including Weissman Foods Distribution Center.

Continuing past South Sunbury Industrial Park and headed towards Selinsgrove Junction.

Not much to see here, and it will remain that way! This is Selinsgrove Junction and when complete, will be a fairly remote area with lotís of trees and scenery. You can barely make out the switch under the engines. The Selinsgrove Secondary track will come off here and head into Selinsgrove and on to Shamokin Dam, home of the Pennsylvania Power and Light complex that eats lotís of hoppers of coal!

We continue southbound and the train will enter the staging yard area through the hole in the wall. When finished, this track will be barely visible through a line of trees.

And finally entering ĎEnolaí in the staging yard!

So, while there is still an awful lot to do, it feels good to hit this point. I enjoy having something running around while doing work on the layout. Itís also good to test trackage as you install it, and now I can!

My immediate plans are to continue installing some of the sidings and then most likely being work on installing Northumberland Yard. SteamNut will continue with the helix and we will then turn our attention to getting the branchlines installed on the upper level.

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  12:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hip hip hooray -- first train and a freight none the less. When will the white hats tour the property?

Thanks for the photo tour -- keep the track laying machine rolling along.

Eric

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  2:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Mark, nice overview

Cheers!, Joe

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  07:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow.....no doubt you were smiling ear to ear...congratulations, your first grandchild and first train, all in the same week. Buy a lottery ticket, Mark!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  07:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Mark.

As you think, so will you be.

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  07:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats all around Mark!

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  11:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

Wow.....no doubt you were smiling ear to ear...congratulations, your first grandchild and first train, all in the same week. Buy a lottery ticket, Mark!

Yeah, how about that! It's been a good week, that's for sure!

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  7:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on reaching another major milepost. I look forward to seeing partial operations soon.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  7:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's great, Mark! Nice to see some freight moving.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  9:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BN_Fan

Congrats on reaching another major milepost. I look forward to seeing partial operations soon.

Soon Bob, soon! Of course, this is only the main line on the lower level. I still have to get the three branchlines installed and layout some industries. But, it's progress! Maybe in a year or so?

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  9:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Mark! Great feeling, h'ain't it!? And it's just wonderful to see another Pennsy layout coming together.

Vagel

belg
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  06:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, congrats on getting to this milestone. The crummy with the red marking lights, did it come that way or did you install them? Who makes it if they came with it? Pat

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  06:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
It is looking great. You have sure come a long ways at a good pace. It sure is fun building them, isn't it!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  06:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I broke out a bottle of bubbly to celebrate, but could not walk or drive to see it in berson.

Congrats, I'll bet your toes are smiling!

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  06:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good Mark! Have you had your grand daughter down to try out a throttle yet?

I see what appears to be an unfinished helix in the background of one of those photos. How is that going?

Joe <><

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000