Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Page: of 95

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  12:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You put it very well Matt! Between 'work sessions', I get the little things done so we can move foward quickly during a session. A lot of it is 'thinking' and 'planning' so I have a clear vision of where we are going.

Bruce was over last night for a short while and we began to connect the lower level end of the helix to the layout. Pictures coming soon!

Mark

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  3:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh, Its a good thing I'm thin, Connecting the lower level to the helix! Can you say build a layout in a closet, what working room.

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  6:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

Yeh, Its a good thing I'm thin, Connecting the lower level to the helix! Can you say build a layout in a closet, what working room.

And here I thought I broke you in on mine with the post in the middle!!!

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

belg
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  07:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys any progress on the helix? Looking forward to the how to. Pat

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  10:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 'how to' is coming Pat, I promise! While I've made some progress on the railroad, it has been slow the past few weeks. Between summer activities, working extra hours, etc., I haven't been making the same level of progress I had in the past. But, I have managed to nearly complete all sub-roadbed on the lower level and am getting ready to lay roadbed and track!

As for the helix, we did connect the lower level to the bottom of the helix. Picture are coming! That unto itself was a bit of an engineering masterpiece, but in the end it came out well. I am finishing putting track on the first circle of the helix so that on Bruce's next visit (most likely this weekend), we can install the second level.

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  10:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Between summer activities, working extra hours, etc., I haven't been making the same level of progress I had in the past.

Don't fret, Mark, it'll soon be cold and miserable again, just like we love it in model railroad-land. Now, excuse me while I defoliate the Morning Glory that is smothering my Lilac bush!

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  07:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark, I can't wait to see that picture of Bruce working away on the helix in that enclosed area! The suspense is too much!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  12:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one is nice to work in, Unlike the one I worked on with the post in the middle of it! And its nice and high off the floor so you don't kill yourself getting in and out of it.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  6:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

This one is nice to work in, Unlike the one I worked on with the post in the middle of it! And its nice and high off the floor so you don't kill yourself getting in and out of it.

And, I also mounted a nice bright light above the center of it so Bruce has plenty of light! I like to take care of my workers!

Mark

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  11:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Mark. I just don't know what to say about you guys that build these huge layouts. It blows my mind how you keep all of that wiring straight and the amount of track you have to put down. It's a work of art all by itself. =o) I know what it takes to keep my layout clean too and it's simple compared to what you're doing. It would overwhelm me. I'm impressed!

Another P Company modeler.
Tom Johnson

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  10:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for you kind words Tom, but don't be too impressed yet. I'm far from done and I'm overwhelmed as well! The past week for me has been tough as I've been working a few double shifts. Between that and 'daddy duties', my time has been limited and progress has come to a temporary halt! But never fear, an update will be forthcoming shortly.

Thanks again.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  5:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it would appear summertime activities have slowed progress a little, but there has been progress! So here's a little update on where things are as of now. And yes, once we start the second level of the helix, I will do the 'how to' thread. I just need to get a few pics of the process, and to make sure we know what we're doing!

Back to the progress report. We will start with the helix. In my last update, there were a few questions asking how we were going to connect the helix to the lower level. Hopefully, the next few pics will explain that better.

A few weeks ago, Bruce was over to connect the lower part of the helix to the lower level of the layout. This required installing a section of roadbed in the closet to connect the helix to Sunbury in two different areas.

First, to put it into perspective, here is an overview shot of the Sunbury area, which is on the lower level. There isn’t any upper level benchwork installed here yet!

You can see the helix to the right, and you can see two holes in the wall that go to the closet behind Sunbury. The larger hole to the left is where the Wilkes-Barre branch will leave the lower level, enter the closet and make it’s way towards the helix. To the right of Sunbury you can see the second hole in the wall. This is where the Shamokin Track will leave Sunbury and make its way towards the helix.

To give you a better idea just how tight it is back there, here is a picture of Bruce installing the road bed sections. Thank God he’s skinny!

And taken from the other side of the closet, here is the roadbed installed and painted. The track in the foreground is the Wilkes-Barre track coming down from the helix towards the hole in the wall where it will appear in Sunbury. In the distance, you can make out the roadbed for the Shamokin Track as it enters the hole in the wall.

This picture, taken from the helix at track level and shows the two tracks headed to their respective entrance points on the lower level; the Shamokin track to the left, and the Wilkes-Barre track to the right.

And here is how the helix looks as of today. Still only the one level in, but it has track and is wired. We are now ready to install the second level. As we go, each level will be installed and leveled, then track applied and feeders soldered on.

So, other than that, not much else to show. Below is a picture of what will someday be ‘North Sunbury’ where the mainline crosses the Susquehanna River. You can see the bridge placed mid-way down. This will be a fair sized industrial area that will feature some businesses including a fairly large Westinghouse complex that does transformer work. This will accommodate a few heavy duty flats which will in turn generate some special movements during operating sessions!

And then we have this area, which is the last area on the lower level to receive sub-roadbed! This is the Sunbury industrial area. The single track mainline will pass to the front of this area and have two sidings here to work from. The unpainted section of roadbed against the wall will be raised about an inch and represent a fairly large industrial park that is located just south of the town of Sunbury. This area will be approximately 16’ long with a lot of switching!

I have begun installing roadbed as well. The next big push is to get all the roadbed installed and begin laying the mainline around the lower level! I plan to begin that this weekend. My goal is to get trains running around the lower level by the end of September, and then go back and begin cutting in the various industrial areas while Bruce continues work on the helix.

Thanks for looking!

Mark

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  7:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work guys. Even though it looks like minor progress from your perspective, looks like a lot has been done as I see it.

Look forward to continued progress.

Dave

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  8:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work guys. Even though it looks like minor progress from your perspective, looks like a lot has been done as I see it.

Look forward to continued progress.

Dave

4Steam
New Hire

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  11:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just caught up on your post
layout is looking good gives me motivation to get going on mine

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000