Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: John R ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  11:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,

I have 6 on the current layout. Several of them are just 1 1/2 to 2 turns to gain run time and elevation. All but one is double track. The others are 4-5 turn helixes.
As I mentioned earlier I have built 11 overall and most of them have been built with threaded rods.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  12:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

Hi Mark,

I have 6 on the current layout. Several of them are just 1 1/2 to 2 turns to gain run time and elevation. All but one is double track. The others are 4-5 turn helixes.
As I mentioned earlier I have built 11 overall and most of them have been built with threaded rods.

Well Tim, that seals the deal - you hold the record, and can keep it! And to think I was debating whether or not to have one!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  12:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hunter48820

A nolix is used to get to the remaining decks.

Andy, I had to look up the term 'nolix' as I had never heard it before! Now that I know what your talking about, I have to admit that given the choice, I prefer the 'nolix' concept better as it keeps the track out in the open.

I did consider this during my design phase, but unfortunately it just didn't lend itself well to my concept. In my case, the tracks on the helix come off the main on the lower level and head off 'in different directions'. So to some extent, the helix helps to create the illusion I am trying to create. Your train leaves the main and disappears for a while, creating the feeling of distance with the passage of time. It then appears on the upper level, a 'distance' from where it came off the main.

I know Tony Koester talks about this in his book and I believe he favors the 'nolix' approach as well. I think they both have merits.

Mark

snarlman
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  12:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Send snarlman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark I too had to look it up. Now I find out I have one (sort of) and I had no idea I even had it!

~Jeff

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  08:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys, wasn't try to stump anyone!! I hate people that use big or unusual words that make me wonder if I'm reading English!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  08:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andy. I learned a new model railroading term. Now I need to find a way to show off my expanded vocabulary at the club.

George

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  12:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, a slight progres report with no pics.

Bruce has been down and out with a minor ailment over the past couple of weeks, which has given me some time to pre-plan the next few steps. With the helix well underway, this should keep Bruce busy for the next few work nights at least! I've been trying to finish up some more sub-roadbed, roughing in the buss wires, and making up the local boards with the breakers and occupancy detectors where the track feeds will tie in. I want to be able to tie the blocks in as I lay the track, testing as I go.

Of course, one of the first things I wanted to do was see what materials I had and what I might need. You know what they say; one thing leads to another? Box after box, I opened and counted switch machines, detectors, wire, etc. The good news is that have more than I thought in most cases. I have plenty of wire, tortoise machines and occupancy detectors! Unfortunately, I have more lower level than I do code 83 track and switches, so it looks like that will be my next big purchase.

First though comes roadbed. I plan to start at the 'north' end of staging where it comes through the steps and lay the mainline through the Northumberland yard area and continue 'south'. Bruce will be ready to tie the two branchline tracks that head into the helix on the next work night, so with the materials sorted out, at this point it looks like another burst of progress is on the horizon!

Stay tuned for pics in the next few days.

Mark

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  12:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I look forward to the "burst." The way you and the crew work, this could mean the layout would be finished in a few weeks.

Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  10:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only wish you were right Dave! This room prep/benchwork/wiring phase is killing me! I want to get to scenery, structure building and scene developement. That's where the fun begins!!!

Mark

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  12:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,
You guys are really moving on there. Wish I had some help motivating me.
This "prep work" that is killing you if you get it done right you will be able to build on top of it knowing you will have no issues there to tear out.
Hope Steam Nut is feeling better.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  11:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We could be done in a few weeks but Mark keeps slowing me down, I need these little issues to give him time to catch up! I am back and the tools are getting ready so hold on there will be something to show soon.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  11:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, great to hear your feeling better. Mark said in the morning thread he was not going to be doing any RR work today so maybe you can go in and he won't hold you back?? LOL Pat
PS Looking forward to the progress pics and the how to info.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  01:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat, I wouldn't hold him back, that's for sure! Funny thing is, when Bruce went down for the count in his recent illness, an email circulated around our local group with the statement 'with Bruce out of circulation, I wonder how many railroads in south Jersey will come to a grinding halt'! Sad part is, there is some truth to that!

Mark

snarlman
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  07:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Send snarlman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
Glad to hear you are back!~

~Jeff

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  6:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-

Based on your update, sounds like you're making good progress on all the little details or minutia that we hate to bog Bruce down with. Looking forward to the next photo update.

Have to agree with you on how all major construction in SJ did come to a grinding halt. Good to have you back Bruce!!!

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000