Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  10:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
When you pick your ceiling tiles, make sure you don't get the pressed paper tiles. They shed small particles of fiber continuously. I switched over to the plastic faced fiberglass tiles. They are much lighter and much cleaner. Also, they are not as subject to sagging as the pressed paper tiles if you use the 2'x4' size.

Just a thought from someone that learned the hard way!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  01:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that input Andy. I was just having that very conversation with Harsco tonight, and he said the same thing. I had the 'pressed paper' tiles in my old basement and your right, they tend to deteriorate and I think shed more dust and dirt than they prevent. I'll investigate alternatives, including the lighter fiberglass panels.

Mark

SteveH
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  12:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried this and I can't remember where I read it either.
Someone recommended running small room fans in the layout room to keep the dust from settling on the layout. Apparently moving air keeps the dust suspended.

Just a thought.

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  1:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new house Mark!
Do you have regular work nights planned? Let me know the next time you guys are getting together and I'll stop by if I'm not travelling.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  1:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic start, Mark!

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  1:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the past few weeks, we have been working on sheetrock. With my son's wedding approaching and my working what seemed like every day, progress had been slow. But finally the sheetrock for the new wall is done, and we are starting on rocking the walls around the exterior of the basement.

This is the new wall creating the storage rooms. The alcove that will house the workbench is defined now, with the exception of the opening for my paint booth, which we will go back and cut in later once it is ready to install. Also note that I have installed light fixtures in the ceiling of the alcove.

Below is another view of the workbench area, currently filled with more ‘stuff’. Half of the battle right now is moving things around the basement to access an area I need to work in! Once the storage room is done, I will be able to move much of this ‘stuff’ in there and minimize some of the ‘stuff’ around the basement. The rest of the ‘stuff’ will be stored under the layout once the bench work is completed. Way too much 'stuff'!!!

This is a picture looking up the steps to the landing. To the left is a new wall separating the workbench area from the steps. To the right is the cinderblock wall that now gets sheetrock. The tricky part here is the ‘step’ in the cinderblock that we have to work around. We are framing from this ‘step’ up to the joists to give us a flat wall, then mounting ferring strips top to bottom to which the sheetrock will be mounted. This will give me a nice uniform flat finished wall.

Here is a picture that better shows the ‘step’ and some framing in place.

The framing is Bruce’s project. Between our spontaneous work nights, I will be painting the floors in the closets, and then begin taping and spackling the new wall so I can get my workbench installed and maybe even get some modeling done!!!

Mark

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  1:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, your basement is beginning to shape up great. it's too late for this great idea but that stepped wall along the stairs would be a good spot for shelves to display your collection of train stuff. It's already recessed just add the shelves between the studs and add glass doors. Phil

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  4:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, it's not too late Phil, but I already thought of that! It's kind of deceiving in those pictures, but the area where the studs are are actually below waist height at the landing. But above that it recesses even more and I'm leaving that as is. I already have a display case and other memoribilia that will be displayed there. Thanks for the idea though.

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  8:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking very good Mark. In case your drywalling expertise is close to mine, I learned that Durabond 90 is excellent for joints if you want to make sure that they don't crack. Regular drywall joint compound is much weaker and more suseptible to cracking (which I now know from experience!!) Just a thought!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  3:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark thanks for reminding to look here last night!
Comming along great keep steam out trouble,,,
Joe

Cheers!, Joe

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  11:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe! I hope to have trains running soon!

Mark

MIKE0659
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  7:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit MIKE0659's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark,

It's looking great.

When is that first operating session?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  7:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm working towards that Mike! Give me about a year or two! The good news is that I just finished the benchwork for the staging yard today! I have to post some pics.

Mark

MIKE0659
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  8:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit MIKE0659's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A year or two!?!?

I don't think Steamnut will let you take that long.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  06:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Humph! Year or two? That's rich...he gave me two months...LOL.

Steam: time to unsheath the Golden Tape Measure!

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000