Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 94

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  7:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever Bruce says is good enough for me.
The man is a layout building genius.

As you think, so will you be.

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  8:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-Great update!!! Enjoy your posts regarding the progress on the layout. Great pics too. Amazing progress in a year. 1st train by end of summer?

Bruce-
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

I was wishing it was the last turn!

At least there's no post in the middle of this one and you'll only build it once!!! LOL

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  12:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belg

Mark and Bruce its great to see progress on the layout. Mark I think that Joe and I were wondering how the transition will be made down to the main table (benchwork) a long shim perhaps? Also is the helix made from 3/4 or thinner material and how are the ends joined? Pat

Well Pat, I think Bruce pretty well summed up the construction part of the helix. I am getting ready to assemble the next 'loop' of the helix and get it ready for installation so I will take pictures of each step. That should clarify the process. I will say though that it is quite simple and building it in this fashion is an efficient use of wood! It only took 1 1/4 sheets of plywood and homasoate to build this helix, which will consist of 4 1/2 turns when done. I can't even begin to wonder how many sheets of plywood and homasoate we would have used if we had cut circles out of the plywood!

As for the transition to the layout, maybe I didn't explain it clearly. On the last section of the helix on the lower level, there will be another piece of roadbed that will come straight off that and continue to the left along the cinder block wall you see in the picture. That will continue downgrade the rest of the way, approximately 2" more, and then appear on the layout through the wall you see pictured to the left. I will take clearer pictures when we build that part of it.

Hope that helps!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  12:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prrmatt

Mark-Great update!!! Enjoy your posts regarding the progress on the layout. Great pics too. Amazing progress in a year. 1st train by end of summer?

I can almost guarentee that one! At least, that's my goal! And to think you had such a head start on me and now look, I'm catching up!

Mark

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  6:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
And to think you had such a head start on me and now look, I'm catching up!

Mark- the lightning fast progress that you're making I guarantee is the envy of many including myself. Always said it was a "race" I'd never win. Just surprised that you haven't gone by me yet. But by the looks of it, it won't be too long. And, remember, you warned me, once you got started building....

Can't wait to see the next update.

Keep up the good work-

belg
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  7:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

As for the transition to the layout, maybe I didn't explain it clearly. On the last section of the helix on the lower level, there will be another piece of roadbed that will come straight off that and continue to the left along the cinder block wall you see in the picture. That will continue downgrade the rest of the way, approximately 2" more, and then appear on the layout through the wall you see pictured to the left. I will take clearer pictures when we build that part of it.

Hope that helps!

Mark, I think I follow what will bring it together but will look forward to the future pics. Thanks to you and Bruce for the info. Pat

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  12:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Mark (or Bruce), either I missed it or you didn't post it yet ...

How are you joining the sections of the helix together? If I did this do I have to invest in a biscut cutter? I like the concept a lot.

Thanks!
Joe <><

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  9:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

Ok Mark (or Bruce), either I missed it or you didn't post it yet ...

How are you joining the sections of the helix together? If I did this do I have to invest in a biscut cutter? I like the concept a lot.

Thanks!
Joe <><

No Joe, you didn't miss it! Frankly, I didn't anticipate so many questions about the helix and yours is a good one. We are using metal plates on the underside of the helix pieces. Maybe Bruce can better identify/explain what they are.

I plan to post a 'step by step' on how we are assembling the helix in the next couple of days. I'll take some close up pics of the plates. I hope that will better answer your questions.

So, since your so interested in the helix, is it a safe assumption your planning to install one on your upcoming layout???

Mark

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  10:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seriously debating the double deck option so yes, a helix may be in my future. I may have enough linear run space to avoid a helix actually but I still have no idea what I'm modeling.

Speaking of buscuit cutters though - would biscuits be an acceptable joining option?

Joe <><

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  12:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

Speaking of buscuit cutters though - would biscuits be an acceptable joining option?

Joe <><

If you have one, then yes, it would. I'm not sure how much easier or better it would be though. Joining them on a 22 1/2 degree angle might be tough, plus then you have to wait for the glue to dry!

Mark

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  3:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was kind of thinking it would be a good excuse for a new tool.

Joe <><

RSCo
Section Hand

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  8:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSCo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mess around with biscuits. Besides the glue dry time mentioned, sometimes alignment can be an issue. If you want to buy something, try a pocket hole jig. This would work great for joining these pieces and both sides would be flush. I use them a lot on my layout - I'm not a big advance planner type so its easy for me to add say a 4" x 18" section to the layout (which I just did). I use them in constructing backdrop supports and other framing pieces. Used with glue, I think the bond is stronger than just about anything including biscuits. Layout looks great Mark, thanks for posting your work.

Jim Musser
Hainesport, NJ
blog - http://mussersteelmill.blogspot.com

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  11:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-hope you don't mind me "pinch-hitting" for Bruce while he's laid up. Not hijacking your thread but since our helices are essentially twins, I can offer some insight.

Below is a pic of the 3"x7" metal mending plates that are being used. We used them on my helix, Bruce thought I was nuts at first, but in the end it turned out better than expected. We angled them on mine, I don't know how they are being positioned on Mark's. Each one was secured in place using #8x3/4" flat wood screws. We essentially built each level of the helix upside-down on the floor by connecting 7 pieces using these plates. We then placed the "level" into position on the helix. Doing this is a 2-man job as it tends to be rather "flimsy" before it's put into place. The plates are only meant to hold each section of wood together. The sturdiness comes from the 16 metal rods positioned around the helix.

The reason they were selected is that they do the job as expected, cleanly and without creating any clearance issues between levels.

They can be found at any local hardware store or the big box stores for less than $3 each.

When Mark posts the pictures it will be easier to see and understand. I didn't take any pics of mine demonstrating this.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  11:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that clarification Matt. That's exactly what I'm using and yes, Matt's helix and mine are almost twins! After all, the same guy in building them.

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  1:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! I haven't seen this thread of yours. You are making quite impressive progress. I need to go back to the beginning and read it through. However you guys are doing well on the helix and I like the construction. As you know I have built numerous helix's (11 actually, you never forget one.) and I use similar techniques. The only thing is that most of the time you cover them up when you are done. I always like the engineering look they give the RR.

I will check back and get caught up soon on the thread.
nice work.

Page: of 94 Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000