Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: drailz22 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  9:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vagel Keller

One question: where do you plan to position the LP facsimile of Clarence Weaver with his movie camera?

Vagel

Thanks for your kind comments Vagel! I've made even more progress and will have to post some pics in the next day or two.

As for Clarence Weaver, that's a great idea! I'll have to research to find a man with a movie camera, or resort to altering a LP with one. That would be a classic!!!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  12:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for another update! More progress. No track yet, but I'm getting REAL close now!

Of course a lot of what I've been up to isn't real photographic. Things like finishing up the installation of buss wires and loconet wires. That's mostly complete.

In addition, Bruce and I cut up plywood and homasoate, laminating them together and cutting them into 34 sections that will make up the helix. These are done and being painted.

I've been busy installing roadbed as well. The most significant area completed so far is the Northumberland Yard area, which is now done and ready for track! This view shows the yard section. Also note the area set in that will be the 'operators desk' at Northumberland Yard.

Remember that 'bridge' section that Bruce made up and we installed nearly a year ago? Well, it's finally connected to the rest of the railroad! This section of benchwork heads towards the steps, around the landing, through the steps and onto the bridge section. Note that the lower level roadbed is nearly laying flat on the landing of the steps! When finished, this area will be enclosed in plexiglass in a bookshelf like unit to avoid stray feet from hitting the railroad!

And tonight, those helix pieces that I mentioned earlier are finally getting installed! Yes, tonight we actually started the helix! The first 'loop' of 4 1/2 loops is installed and ready for track.

The first order of business was to locate and drill holes in the base for the threaded rods that will support the helix.

We then assembled the first loop of the helix on the floor. This went together easily.

We then lifted the entire loop above the rods, lined up all the rods through the holes in the helix pieces and it dropped right into place! After that, we spent a considerable amount of time running the nuts up and down to secure the loop into the proper grade (2%).

Here is the man, the myth, the legend - SteamNut himself, in the middle of the helix with the first loop installed and ready for track. He is now pondering his next step!

So now all I have to do is finish painting the rest of the helix sections for Bruce and that should keep him busy for a few work nights. That will give me a chance to finish up the roadbed on the lower level and yes, begin laying some track!!!

Mark

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  04:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, you're making nice steady progress.
Good to see Bruce is feeling better and back to work.

As you think, so will you be.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  06:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Here is the man, the myth, the legend"

Well, one out of three isn't bad. Seriously the boy is good. The way he works I thought trains would be running up the helix by now!

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  07:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wishing it was the last turn!

snarlman
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  09:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Send snarlman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
Its good to see progress, and both of you seem to be moving right along! Please post plenty of photos of the helix, it looks very interesting. Keep up the great work!

~Jeff

RonH56
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  2:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Track work is so close I bet you can smell the creosote!!! Looks like another big beauty of a layout in the making.

"What the heck wuz that?"
Ron Haviland
Owner/Operator
Red Water Railway Co.
L.B. & S Shortline RR.

Podunk, New England

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  2:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark how is the 1st helix level going to connect the plywood base that is shown in the photo? It looks like the helix wood is just laying on the base is there roadbed (1/2inch?) that will line up with the helix?
TIA

Cheers!, Joe

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  4:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark...boy, I can really sense the enthusiasm in your writing. It must be so exciting bringing your ideas to fruition with a great team of helpers all with super senses of humour!!!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  4:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking great Mark. Very nice helix construction goin on!! I really look forward to your updates. Keep em coming!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  8:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnhman

Hey Mark how is the 1st helix level going to connect the plywood base that is shown in the photo? It looks like the helix wood is just laying on the base is there roadbed (1/2inch?) that will line up with the helix?
TIA

Good question Joe! Actually, the bottom of the helix in the picture is about 1" off the plywood base. A straight section of roadbed will connect to that and run to the left, behind the wall. There will be two tracks on the helix; the Shamokin Secondary and the Wilkes-Barre branch. They will come off the main (to the left of the picture) at different places, enter through the wall and come together at the base of the helix. The grade going into the helix actually starts when the tracks go through the wall. We had to do this so that the tracks are at the proper elevation at the top of the helix where they come off.

I hope that answers your question.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  8:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great comments guys! It keeps me going!

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hamer

Hi Mark...boy, I can really sense the enthusiasm in your writing. It must be so exciting bringing your ideas to fruition with a great team of helpers all with super senses of humour!!!

You hit the nail on the head Mike! Now that the benchwork phase is quickly coming to a close, it's easy to see how all the ideas in my head are coming together. Sometimes a layout of this size can be a bit overwhelming, but thanks to Bruce, Rick and a host of others encouraging me on, I manage to keep the pace.

As Ron said, I can smell the creosote!!!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  06:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to run trains! Hey I can't wait to run trains in my basement. A goal for both of us. A complete loop running in your basement and my CTC machine operating by Sept 30!

belg
Fireman

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  07:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark and Bruce its great to see progress on the layout. Mark I think that Joe and I were wondering how the transition will be made down to the main table (benchwork) a long shim perhaps? Also is the helix made from 3/4 or thinner material and how are the ends joined? Pat

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  10:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I will jump in here and tie up some loose ends, The helix is 1/2 plywood and 1/2 homasoate glued together. First you cut the plywood and homasoate on the table saw at 7 & 7/8's wide. [This gives you 6 leanths from a full sheet] Then lay the first strip on the floor and add glue then a strip of homasoate and stack on top. After you have them all done add lots of weight to the top of the stack and forget about it for about two days. After that all sections were cut on a 22 1/2 degree angle the holes for the rods were drilled and now you have a helix. We will have to post a shot of the bottom of a turn to show the joints are made with nail plates and screws. Once it is done and all tied together it is solid as a rock. The grade is 2%.

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000