Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: Bridge ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  3:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, thanks for the explanation. I think your running into the the same trap I did and are putting in to many buss lines. The DCC track ones are fine.

For tortices if you are going with CMRI in the future you only need + 12V and ground. For signals + 5V and the same ground. You could run a 3.3V from a surplus computer supply and have a lighting buss, still using the same ground. OK, maybee you want to put an extra ground in to separate the switch power and signal gounds out, but get my point?

The DCCOD's use the same +12V and ground as the switch machine power. No need for a separate buss for them.

How many selanoid machines do you have? Could you not eliminate them and the associated buss wires? Just thinking out loud, you know more of what your trying to accomplish there than I do.

Why would you need an AC line. I have an AC line to power my stationary decoder DS-54's but that will become obsolete soon.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  8:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

It may seem like it's going slow for you, but looking at it from the outside the progress is incredible. I think the before and after shots of your basement are great examples of how far you've come in such a short period of time.

Look forward to seeing more.

Dave

shark_jj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  09:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, great work, I am just catching up on your progress and things are looking really good.

John Johnston
Grand Trunk Southern

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  09:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LVRALPH

Mark, thanks for the explanation. I think your running into the the same trap I did and are putting in to many buss lines. The DCC track ones are fine.

For tortices if you are going with CMRI in the future you only need + 12V and ground. For signals + 5V and the same ground. You could run a 3.3V from a surplus computer supply and have a lighting buss, still using the same ground. OK, maybee you want to put an extra ground in to separate the switch power and signal gounds out, but get my point?

The DCCOD's use the same +12V and ground as the switch machine power. No need for a separate buss for them.

How many selanoid machines do you have? Could you not eliminate them and the associated buss wires? Just thinking out loud, you know more of what your trying to accomplish there than I do.

Why would you need an AC line. I have an AC line to power my stationary decoder DS-54's but that will become obsolete soon.

Ralph, thanks for the input! Some good 'food for thought'! As I mentioned earlier, I was simply taking the same approach as I did on my previous layout, keeping everything seperate, but you bring up a great point on combining the grounds, especially as it concerns future installation of CMRI. Now you know why I'm so interested in what your doing!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  11:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, I know what you mean. We get in a comfort zone and can't remember why we did what we did. In my business it's referred to as SALY. Same as last year. Well, why do it the same as last year?

Same with running the buss wires. Why do I need buss wires vs that is what I did before. I have determined that I will need +12 + 5 and maybe 2 grounds besides my track buss wires. No more -12, and -5 and AC buss wires. Plus with the removal of the DS-54's no more DS 54 buss. That's a lot of copper!

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  07:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K. Time for an update here! LOL!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  4:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Bruce, if you insist!

Not really too much to show, but there has been progress.

In my last update, I posted that I started running the buss wires. With that almost completed, I figured I might as well get the 'power panel' set up so I can tie the buss wires into it.

This is the same power panel I had for my previous layout, but I made some modifications to it, such as installing a fan, before mounting it to the wall.

I like to keep all my power supplies centrally located, and this does the trick. I have all the 120v running into the bottom. The next shelf up are the power supplies for the three boosters, then the boosters themselves, then another shelf for misc power supplies, and the switch kicker on the top shelf for the celenoid switch machines.

Nothing is really hooked up yet, just put in place. Since I don't have any track down, there's no rush!

In my last update I had started the spine for the second level on the Northumberland peninsula. Well, this is now finished! This first shot is what you are greeted with when you come down the stairs. Northumberland Yard will be on the lower level and the Shamokin Track on the upper level. Mt. Carmel will be to the left.

This next picture is from the other end of the peninsula, looking back down where Northumberland Yard will be. Note on the upper level how the benchwork is not as deep as the lower level, allowing easy access to the yard. You can also make out a piece of roadbed, then a piece of plywood sitting atop the upper level. This is a mockup, showing where the backdrop will be on the upper level. Note the 'mushroom' effect, as the backdrop for the upper level is actually over Northumberland Yard. There will only be about 8" of railroad on this side of the peninsula on the upper level - just enough room for the Shamokin track to make it to Mt. Carmel, which is located at the far end. This also allows a deeper area for Glen Burn colliery, located on the other side on the upper level.

Here's a view of where Glen Burn will be located. The roadbed laying here is the old roadbed for Glen Burn from my old layout. Notice how by pushing the backdrop back further over Northumberland, there is more depth on this side for the colliery and associated buildings.

On the lower level, we installed the base for what will be the Susquehanna River and associated bridge crossing. I couldn't help but to dig out the bridge and test fit it. A perfect fit!!!

Bruce came over the other night and among other things, helped me to mount the last three sections of benchwork on the upper level. The next picture shows the completed benchwork for the upper level. The helix is, or I should say, will be behind me. This worked out to be a nice 28' run. This will be the Wilkes-Barre branch headed towards Buttonwood Yard. Immediately to the left will be the town of South Danville, and down at the other end will be the small town of Catawissa.

On the lower level you can see we also started laying out some roadbed. This is the mainline headed south, with Selinsgrove Jct. at the far end. South Sunbury Industrial park will be located in the open space to the left of the roadbed.

So, there are only a few small sections of benchwork to complete, but the bulk of it is done! Now I am starting to put roadbed in place and hope to start laying track in the next week or so.

Mark

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  8:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Huge progress. Looks great, clean and functional.

Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  12:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave! Not sure if I would use the word 'clean', but it's getting there. I'm just thankful that the benchwork stage is coming to a close. Thanks to Bruce, I just secured enough plywood tonight to start the helix. That should keep Bruce busy for a while and I can focus on roadbed and laying out the mainline. Now the fun begins!!!

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  08:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dave, Mark. The layout is really coming along and you and the crew are doing a very nice job. Looking forward to seeing some track laid but I bet you are too!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  08:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Thanks Dave! Not sure if I would use the word 'clean', but it's getting there. I'm just thankful that the benchwork stage is coming to a close. Thanks to Bruce, I just secured enough plywood tonight to start the helix. That should keep Bruce busy for a while and I can focus on roadbed and laying out the mainline. Now the fun begins!!!

The way Bruce works, I wouldn't be surprised if the helix is done already!

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  09:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not yet but we should start next week! We need to start making up the sections, it will be another eight sided one with rods. Stay tuned!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  11:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, even with Bruce in charge, it will take a few work nights to get the helix in. One layer at a time! We will do a step by step as the construction will be interesting, but Bruce is a pro as this is his third helix?

And yes Andy, I can't wait for trackwork. I'm starting roadbed now on the lower level, starting at Northumberland yard and working my way around. I can't wait to get the first few feet in and wired and run the first train, even if it is only a few feet!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  07:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce is a pro at everything. We are lucky to have him down here to help us.

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  6:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress, Mark! It's going to be a superb layout representing one of my absolute favorite parts of the PRR. And thanks for posting that picture of your central power station; it helps me over a design hurdle.

One question: where do you plan to position the LP facsimile of Clarence Weaver with his movie camera?

Vagel

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000