Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 95

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  5:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the comments guys! Yes, it was quite an experience moving this thing to my house from Bill's house, about 1/2 hour away. But everything worked out well!

quote:
Originally posted by dlwrailfan1

...While the location while be Wilkes-Barre, it would be appropriate to honor Bill in some way. Ideas!

A great idea Eric! While Bill did invite me to his op sessions a couple of times, I was never able to make one. I didn't know Bill well, but we did develope a friendship over our mutual interest in operations, signaling and the associated electronics, although he was way ahead of me in that area! It is a thrill for me to have part of his layout live on in my basement and yes, I do intend to memorialize it/him as such in some appropriate way. I haven't quite figured out how yet, but I will!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 04/10/2010 5:22:21 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  7:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, another work night has come and gone, and another milestone! And they say it couldn't be done. HAH!

Yes, last night Bruce and Rick came over to help with the installation of the newly acquired yard section. I even got a visit from LVRalph and we quickly put him to work as well!

The first part of the night was spent removing the yard section from the old benchwork. We had left it attached to that to keep it stable for the 15+ mile move from Bill's house to my house. Once that was accompished, we had to mount it to a set of 2x4's to keep this 12' long piece from flexing while moving it into the basement. Then came time for the big move to the basement. So, Bruce and Rick carried it around to the side of the house while Ralph and I headed down stairs. Slowly, Ralph and I eased it through the basement window.

As Ralph and I held it in position, Bruce and Rick came downstairs to join us and maneuver it into position on the upper level of the Wilkes-Barre peninsula.

Once in place, we did a lot of head scratching and calculating to determine the best position in relation to everything else, but once that decision was made, it was removed from the 2x4' supports and screwed into place.

There is still another section to be mounted that extends the yard tracks. When done, the entire complex will measure 18' end to end. You will notice roadbed laying to the right of the yard. This will be the mainline and siding/A&D track for the yard. The original yard has the mainline tracks on the back side of it, which won't work on my layout. These two tracks will now become the 'Wilkes-Barre Industrial Track' and associated sidings.

It's working out better than I thought! It is a challenge to adopt an existing piece of another layout into your own. In this case, it is a great fit and a treasured acquisition.

Mark

snarlman
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  8:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Send snarlman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tip Top Mark! your progress is really moving fast. Keep up the great work.

~Jeff

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  8:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incredible! Nice job guys.
Good to see Ralph too.
Here it is, crunch time in the tax season and you've got the guy taxing himself physically.
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
I'll go stand in the corner.

I guess since the yard is hand laid you'll hand lay the rest of the track on the layout too so it all matches.

As you think, so will you be.

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  8:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-another great update, nice to see things are moving along at a good pace. Looks like it went relatively easy with the guys helping out. Can't wait to see the next update.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  11:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress!

The yard fit through the window and without any damage. Some of the attached structures made the trip -- nice work!

November 21, 2009 was the final final open house for Bill Gruber's Reading Lines. Here is one picture I took that day of the yard with cars in it.

If Harsco (Rick) and Steam Nut are outside and MarkF and LV Ralph are receiving the yard inside, who is the photographer?

Wondering,

Eric

Edited by - dlwrailfan1 on 04/11/2010 11:44:36 PM

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  05:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Good to see Ralph too.
Here it is, crunch time in the tax season and you've got the guy taxing himself physically.

Hey Dinozo, you know what's coming your way for that one next time I see you!

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  07:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric:

Very nice looking yard. Lots of nice structures.

Karl S.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  09:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The yard scene, with its building 'backdrop' is really great, Eric. Beautiful work!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  09:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LVRALPH

quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Good to see Ralph too.

Hey Dinozo, you know what's coming your way for that one next time I see you!

Uh oh, I might be in trouble.
Actually Ralph, I was looking out for you.

Speaking of the next time you see me, any plans for another ops session?

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Back to Marks layout.

As you think, so will you be.

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  11:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Bruce was explaining to me how you had planned to move that so delicately,, looks like it worked out just fine. Also I saw Bruce doodling the track plan to get the mainline to the front vs revearsing the yard,, The new plan looks to be much better,,

Cheers!, Joe

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  3:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric, to answer your question, I grabbed my 15 year old son and told him he was the official photographer for the event! He did a great job memorializing the occassion. By the way, that's a great picture of the yard on Bill's layout. I took a few shots, but no overall views!

Joe, yes, it did work out very well. I held my breath on many occassions during removal, moving, and move in, but it's now down and secure in it's new home with NO damage! I'm amazed!

And the doodling you saw Bruce making is basically the new arrangement. Early on, we thought we could use the mainline where it sits in the back of the yard, but it doesn't work. Adding it to the front of the yard works out really well. The old 'mainline' tracks at the back of the yard are going to become industrial tracks and the 'Wilkes-Barre' industrial track that accesses the rest of Wilkes-Barre around the corner.

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  3:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

The yard scene, with its building 'backdrop' is really great, Eric. Beautiful work!

Frederic and Karl,

To be clear, Reading yard (seen in my photo) is the work of the late Bill Gruber, MMR and a prolific author in RMC, MR and others. The track is all hand laid and the city of Reading is his creation.

Mark F bought the yard from Bill Gruber's wife. A number of local model railroaders are helping her by disassembling the railroad.

Now back to the construction story!

Eric

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  8:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Again another period of remarkable progress. The gang did great moving the yard and it's great you could integrate the legacy of Bill Gruber's work into your empire. It looks right at home. Who said Rome wasn't built in a day.

Dave

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  11:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress...keep the photos coming.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000