Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  3:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive Mark. At this rate, you will be hosting an ops session long before I get my act together again!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  4:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BN_Fan

Very impressive Mark. At this rate, you will be hosting an ops session long before I get my act together again!

Well, not sure about that Bob, but we are moving at a good clip! In fact Bruce is coming over again tonight and we are planning to start on the second level!

Mark

James VanB
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  5:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit James VanB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed, great progress Mark.
Must be very exciting for you.
Look forward to more progress updates.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  6:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Great progress. The crew looks like they put benchwork together for a living. Look forward to the next pictures.

Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  12:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce came over tonight to continue work on the benchwork. We first got busy on finishing up where we left off on the Northumberland peninsula, adding braces on to the legs and squaring things off. We decided that rather than finish the end of the peninsula, to let it go for now and finish off the Wilkes-Barre peninsula while we had easy access.

First thing we did there was to square it off and add some roadbed to the one side to help to stabilize it better. We then got to work on adding the second level. First, we installed 2x4s every 4. These are screwed to the benchwork as well as the cross braces for the legs. This made the upright 2x4 plumb and sturdy! Once all the 2x4s were in place, we then made sets of 8 long L girders, located the height (60 off the floor) and installed them the length of the peninsula. We then installed 1x4s betweem the 2x4's from the lower level benchwork to the L girders, giving us the added support for the upper level every 16 with the L girder running the length of the peninsula.

The picture below shows the finished product, with the 2x4 running from the floor to the 60 level, screwed to the lower level benchwork and the cross braces, and in turn supporting the upper level L girders. We will next add 1X2 supports across the top, screwed into both the L girders as well as the 1x4 upright support. This will provide the needed support and stability for the upper level.

At the end of the night, this is what we had accomplished. Doesnt look like much, but it was a lot of measuring, leveling and making things plumb! It's really neat to see the second level in place and I'm very happy with the heights!

Mark

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  08:42:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Mark and crew,,, Lots of progress there,,,

Cheers!, Joe

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  09:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is nothing like a few extra helping hands to make some real progress!

BTW, how wide is the benchwork around the walls on the first level?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  10:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe! It's coming along!

quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

There is nothing like a few extra helping hands to make some real progress!

BTW, how wide is the benchwork around the walls on the first level?

The benchwork is 18" wide just about all the way around except in the yard areas, where it widens to 30" at Northumberland on the lower level and 24" at Buttonwood on the upper level. I chose a narrower benchwork to get the aisles as wide as possible. At 32" wide, I kind of wish they were wider, but they will have to do as there isn't much room to take away from anything else.

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  07:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, Mark.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  12:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Mark! Benchwork is definitely not something to try alone.

Vagel

snarlman
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  1:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Send snarlman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark, Bruce and Rick,
Super job! I have been slowly catching up from the start on this great thread. That is a real nice work area you have set up there. Looking forward to more updates!

~Jeff

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  10:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jeff! It was good seeing you on Saturday. That trip really motivated me, so I came home and started laying track! I have the staging yard started and with some luch, may have it done by the end of the week. I'll try to get some updated pics posted soon.

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  12:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, I missed a lot in your thread, Mark. You mentioned the progress you were making, last weekend, but it is still amazing to see it in photos!

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  12:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck!

Well, a little bit of an update. Rick and Bruce were over the other night for another benchwork session. We managed to finish up the Wilkes-Barre peninsula by adding the curved end of the lower level and adding the 1x2's for the 2nd level.

Today, I went back and painted all of what will be the exposed benchwork for the second level white. People have suggested this as it will reflect the light better, and since I was using a combination of used wood of varying colors, I figured it was a good idea!

So here's the end result. First, the end of the peninsula showing the end of the lower level.

This view shows the top of the 2nd level. We still have to finish the end of the 2nd level.

And what it looks like from underneath the 2nd level. I think the white color will make a big difference. Plus it looks nicer!

We also began the second level along the back wall. This was more or less an experiment as we are using commercial wall brackets. These particular brackets are rated at 250 pounds, so we figure they should hold up the layout!

This view from underneath shows the brackets better. This is only up temporarily as we were experimenting, but I am happy with the results. I will take this down and paint the brackets white as well. (I bought the black ones as they were on clearance at Leow's for a fraction of the price!)

Finally, some progress to show on the staging yard. I am about halfway done in here and will soon get through the wall and start laying out the lower level mainline.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 03/18/2010 12:54:21 PM

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  3:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, lookin'good! Really starting to get a good idea of how much railroad there is going to be. Hueber <lv4142003>

Page: of 95 Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000