Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  5:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the feedback guys! I appreciate it. I am thrilled with how the workbench has turned out. Today I spent some time stocking it and settling in.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Mark, good to see some progress being made.
Very nice work bench.

Looks like there is some open area to the left of the helix behind the wall.
Will that be used for anything?

Actually Rick, not really. That was a small area we walled off to hide the water meter and sewar lines for the house, leaving it large enough to access these utilities, but then we realized that it would also be a great place to hide about half of the helix, so it all worked out well. Two tracks will pass through the wall to the left of the helix in the picture and enter the helix at the rear, so in that sense, yes, it will be used, but that's about it other than for possibly some storage.

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

The worst thing is no outside wall access, so I can't set up a paint booth. If I had a permanent paint booth, that would probably overcome my resistance to using the Air Brush.

Dave, I had originally planned a 'built in' paint booth here, hence, the large space in the wall between the cabinets. SteamNut is planning to mount my paint booth on drawer slides and it will be in turn hidden behind a cork board or shelves. When needed, I would simply pull it out of the wall! A great idea, but the downside is the distance the vent pipe would have to run. I am now re-thinking this idea. Stay tuned.

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  11:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see you updating Mark. An excellent and very professional looking workbench. I'm jealous!! Looking forward to seeing the layout benchwork grow. You have some great helpers!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  05:05:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hunter48820

Great to see you updating Mark. An excellent and very professional looking workbench. I'm jealous!! Looking forward to seeing the layout benchwork grow. You have some great helpers!!

Actually, I haven't yet achieved the exalted title of "Helper" yet, Andy...if you ever looked under my layout, you'd know why my official title at these work sessions is "Mule", "Pencil Holder", or "Steam's Third Hand"....LOL. Both of them cringe whenever I pick up a power tool.....

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  07:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Mark!

Need any more help?

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  12:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The workbench area looks great Mark.

Now that the first piece of benchwork for the layout is done, it won't be long before we are seeing track laid. I bet you are looking forward to that after waiting so long.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  1:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elwoodblues

The workbench area looks great Mark.

Now that the first piece of benchwork for the layout is done, it won't be long before we are seeing track laid. I bet you are looking forward to that after waiting so long.

Yes, you have no idea! It's been a long haul, but I think it will be worth it.

Mark

crabster
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  9:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The workbench looks great Mark! What did you use for the bench top; corian?

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  9:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

quote:
Originally posted by hunter48820

Actually, I haven't yet achieved the exalted title of "Helper" yet, Andy...if you ever looked under my layout, you'd know why my official title at these work sessions is "Mule", "Pencil Holder", or "Steam's Third Hand"....LOL. Both of them cringe whenever I pick up a power tool.....

Well Rick, if you ever make it out to Michigan, you can be my second, or even first hand man anytime!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  10:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crabster

The workbench looks great Mark! What did you use for the bench top; corian?

Hey Anton! Thanks! No, that is your barebones basic Loew's ready made Formica brand counter top. Pre-cut to 6'. Slide it in and drop it into place.

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  7:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the Helix. Steam Nut has the threaded rod, washers and nuts counted out and ready to go. That work area is totally impressive!

Edited by - BN_Fan on 02/22/2010 11:24:06 AM

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  9:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark- all you need is a post in the middle of it and he'll be good to go. LOL

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  11:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob! Yup, we're off and running. In fact, Bruce was over tonight and we got a decent amount of benchwork up, about 30' so far. We engineered the first peninsula and that will be next. Pics to follow soon! As for the helix, while the base is in, we're going to hold off on any construction of it until the bulk of the benchwork is in.

Matt, no posts in this helix. Bruce will be living the easy life building this one!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  09:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The past week has seen a lot of progress! Iíve begun work in the staging yard to lay out the track work there. Nothing to really show yet, but it's trackwork! Then Bruce came over last week to start benchwork. We got the section from the helix base down the side wall up and in position. But major progress occurred last night when the crew showed up and we were able to install just about the entire first level of benchwork!

A crew call brought John Rahenkamp, Matt (PRRMatt), Rick (Harsco) and Bruce (SteamNut), all showing up with tools in hand to help out. Here is the crew working on the first section, the Wilkes-Barre peninsula. John showed up with a bunch of 2x4ís and 1x4ís which saved the night!

Bruce screws the benchwork together for the second section of the Wilkes-Barre peninsula as John and Rick share a laugh. Some of Johnís dry wit to be sure!

John and Rick work on a section of benchwork that will become the base for part of Sunbury, located between the helix base and the Northumberland peninsula.

John helps as Bruce is setting the legs for the first section of the Northumberland peninsula.

Matt holds things steady for Bruce as he screws the section section of the Northumberland peninsula together.

By the end of the night, most of the benchwork is up! This view, from the bottom of the steps, shows most of the Northumberland peninsula up.

Walking down that aisle and looking back across the room towards the helix, we see the Northumberland peninsula and the aisle between that and the Wilkes-Barre peninsula.

From the helix looking down the back aisle, with what will be South Sunbury Industrial on the left and the Wilkes-Barre peninsula on the right.

And finally, from the end of the back aisle looking back towards the helix.

A lot of work got done last night and the railroad is quickly coming together! I don't care what anyone says. One of the best parts of this hobby is your friends. There is no way I could have gotten this much done so quickly without the help of these guys.

Thanks guys!!!

Mark

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  9:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a good time last night Mark. Thanks again. Glad to finally make it over. Was amazed just how much was done last night.

And the race is on...

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  10:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's starting to look like a layout. Itís nice to have skilled friends that are willing to help.

George

Page: of 97 Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000