Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  2:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave yes it was in the winter with the heat on so that addded to the fun

Cheers!, Joe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  5:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnhman

Dave yes it was in the winter with the heat on so that addded to the fun

Thought so, that's typical of dry winter heat. Add a humidifier. You can get a cheap one that you plug in, but much better are the ones that attach to your furnace (if you have forced air ductwork.)

dave

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  7:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark - it looks like things are progressing very well. We are all looking forward to seeing the return of the PRR Northern Division.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  11:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little bit of a progress report. I finished painting the perimeter of the floor late last night. Now comes the fun part - setting up the steel shelves along the side wall of the basement and unpacking the cartons in the middle of the room. In other words, its time to put everything away! That project will start Tuesday when I'm off from work.

Dave, yes, I am planning on putting carpet down at some point down the road. Believe me, I know first hand how tough it is on the feet standing on plain concrete for hours. I recently saw a layout with what appears to be some sort of peel and stick carpet tiles on the basement floor which looks like it would be the perfect solution for me. First though is to get benchwork up and as much of the big construction of the layout done before thinking about carpeting. In the meantime, the painted floor looks better and is cleaner than bare concrete.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  01:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s been a busy few weeks since the last update. With the room construction done, I have spent the past few weeks finishing some electrical work, painting the floor, setting up the shelving that will be under the layout, unpacking the rest of the cartons in the basement, sorting through everything, organizing, cleaning and putting things on the shelves.

These are the steel shelves, which will also serve as the legs for the lower level along this wall.

I know, it doesn’t look organized. Believe it or not, it is, but most of this stuff will be on the layout in the near future, or find it’s permanent home in the workbench, so a lot of this shelf space will empty out soon!

Turning slightly to the right, this is the view of the rest of the room. All of the cartons are finally unpacked and gone! The couple that remain contain scenery materials and buildings that will eventually find their way onto the layout.

Today, two major milestones were accomplished! With the help of Rick and Bruce, I finally installed the new workbench.

The workbench is made up of kitchen cabinets that I bought at Loew’s. These cabinets are actually kits, but of surprisingly good quality! They went together easily and are solid wood, not the cheap particle board stuff. Not cheap, but the least expensive option available. To me though, it was worth the money. I figure I’ll be spending a lot of time here down the road and wanted to treat myself to a nice environment that offered plenty of storage, was durable and comfortable. I am thrilled with how it turned out. Now, finally, I can get back to modeling!

While Rick and I were working on the workbench, Bruce was busy with milestone #2 – the official start of benchwork! Bruce built the base of the helix.

It is essentially a square built of 2’x4’s, 5’6” square. Not much to look at yet, but this was an important step as it established 'ground zero' for benchwork height on the lower level. From here, I can continue along the walls with the benchwork.

Our next big project will be building the peninsula’s. I am hoping that things will progress rapidly now!

Mark

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  07:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Congratulations on the exceptional progress and milestones. A finished basement, a workbench and the beginning of benchwork, great stuff.

I've been anxiously awaiting the layout construction and it looks like the wait is over.

Dave

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  07:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I REALLY like that workbench/work area....wish I had the room for something like that. Instead of a paint booth though, I think you should install a flat-panel TV between the wall cabinets so you can watch the home town Sillies during the summer while building a kit.

Even more important is that helix bench work...in, leveled, and ready to be attached to....let the tape measuring, sawing, and screwing begin!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  07:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the start of the benchwork, Mark. I love your work bench area. All the room preparations have taken a while, but it looks like 'the good stuff' is ready to begin.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  09:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Done Mark and team!,,
Mark your pretty bold starting out benchwork with no real track plan?
J

Cheers!, Joe

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  09:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnhman

Well Done Mark and team!,,
Mark your pretty bold starting out benchwork with no real track plan?

No real trackplan? Who said there's no 'real track plan'? No, granted, nothing on paper yet. I've been doodling, which is about as talented as I get with a pencil and paper. The trackplan and details are in my head. I have a pretty clear idea of what is going on and where. I know that goes against all the rules, but it works for me.

As we get into various areas, such as Northumberland Yard, I will most likely put pencil to paper and work out the details, but I am more of a 'gotta see it in 3D' type of person. Knowing what I'm trying to do in the various areas, once the benchwork is up, I will work out the details.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  10:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

I REALLY like that workbench/work area....wish I had the room for something like that. Instead of a paint booth though, I think you should install a flat-panel TV between the wall cabinets so you can watch the home town Sillies during the summer while building a kit.

Careful Rick, that's a tempting idea! Actually, there is cable for the TV already run behind the wall, and I have a small counter top TV for the workbench. But a flatpanel? Hmmm...

Mark

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  10:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best thing in my train room/workshop is the sink. The worst thing is no outside wall access, so I can't set up a paint booth. If I had a permanent paint booth, that would probably overcome my resistance to using the Air Brush. On top of the pain in the posterior of mixing paints and particularly clean-up, I have to go to the garage and spend time clearing away other stuff, set up the booth, and then put it away. All too much work for occasional airbrush use...

What I'm considering, by the way, in my train room, is an iPad. I can mount it on the wall somewhere, and use it for web research as well as watching stuff.

dave

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  11:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, good to see some progress being made.
Very nice work bench.

Looks like there is some open area to the left of the helix behind the wall.
Will that be used for anything?

As you think, so will you be.

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  12:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll warm up the tape measure, Hmmmm lets see with a push of a button the flat screen comes up from behind the wall into the viewing hole!

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  4:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great update Mark. Work bench looks awesome. Congrats too on getting the benchwork for the helix in place. Like you said I'm sure the progress will kick into high gear now especially when Bruce starts talking about his tape measure(LOL). Always enjoy and look forward to your updates. See you tomorrow.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000