Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  11:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grant -

Good to see your progress. I've been wondering how things were going with you guys. Is there any chance that some of you will join the CCC at its next setup the last weekend in Feb?

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  03:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scott & John ...

... I'm pretty sure we can be "talked" into bringing what ever we have operational to the Great Barn Meet! I really enjoyed the last one, and have been looking forward to the next one since we left ... ...!

kewlbrew/John ...

... I'l be winging my way to Vegas that weekend (2/27-28), so I won't be able to make that one. Randy might, and if he'd be comfortable taking my modules, I'd be willing to let him. When's the Cow Palace, again ...?

CHEERS!

Grant

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  4:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant when you are in Sin City in February give me a call. I am supposed to be in town unless my wife extends a business trip to Florida.

Bill Uffelman
702-375-9025 cell
Las Vegas NV

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  5:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Cow Palace event is 2/27-28 with setup on the 26th. If any of the members care to join, I'll need to know by the beginning of Feb. They can contact me off-forum at the group's email address.

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  03:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill ...

... Thanks! for the invite to call! I'll definitely take your number with me, and call you when I get a chance! Would like to hear what you've done with the module pieces I made for you ...

John ...

... I just remembered that Randy is a school teacher (high school, history), so even if he wanted to bring some of our modules down, I'm not sure he could get there in time ... but, I'll mention it to him just to be sure. Isn't it funny how life can sometimes get in the way of things ... ...?

In the meantime, here's a real quick update from the "meeting" we had last night ... ONE other member showed up, but we managed to make the best of it! Got the electrical problem on one of my switches worked out, fixed, and re-installed ... then we moved on to putting the facia panels on Corey's two modules ...

I posted a similar photo back in September when I put the facia panels on my own modules ... Corey liked the way I used baltic birch instead of masonite, and wanted to do the same on his, so this is how I came up with gluing the panels without fasteners. We'll be using clear polyurethane to finish the birch, with just enough Forrest Green accent paint to tie them in with the other members' modules, so it was important that no fasteners would be visible. I guess time will tell whether it is a good idea or not ,,, ...!

Since new Years' Eve is on Thursday in two weeks, our next meeting won't be until Jan. 7 ... in the meantime, I have a switch to test, and a mountain to build! And maybe, I'll run a couple of locos back & forth ... just 'cause I can, now ... ...!

If I don't get back on here before then, I'll wish you all Happy Holidays, now! Thanks for the interest and all your comments! As always ...

CHEERS!

Grant

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You guys are creating furniture, not just modules - beautiful work! Scott

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  5:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,

Thanks for the updates and pictures. Awesome work.

Tom M.

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  03:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well ...

... my switch fix didn't work ... ... so Plan B was pulling another switch from the box and simply replacing it! Re-installed it & re-wired it Thursday night (1/7) then tested it tonight (1/9), now all works fine ... ...! Next step, final attachment of the wires into the rest of the wiring ... then I can run trains end to end of my modules ... ...!

Since Dec. 26th was my birthday, I spent the whole day working on my modules. And, since I didn't feel like fussing with the switch electrics, I decided to start building up the mountain and foundation for the On18 switchbacks:

Starting from the top right, the track will drop down to the left, then to the right ... to the left, again, and finally down to the right, ending at the area above the spur & siding where chutes will be used to transfer the limestone to the waiting gondolas.

Instead of building up foam and carving it away, I decided to try working with foam blocking and Woodland Scenics grades & risers system, then fill in with the Bragdon geodesic foam technique. After some more fitting & gluing, I'll make up some profile "boards", then start filling in the blanks.

Before I go much further, though, I need to go in and make up the tunnel liners, ballast the tracks in the tunnels, then paint & install the liners and put the "roofs" on. Once all the "shell" work is done, I can finally start molding the rocks & stone faces!

I've got a l-o-n-g way to go, still, but at least I'm making progress! S-l-o-w progress, but progress nonetheless!

Only two members showed up this last Thursday night, so not a lot got done. Conner did get a couple of switches installed on his corner module and started fitting the track in between ... and like I mentioned above, I got my new switch installed & wired. Next meeting is 1/21 ... hopefully we'll have a full "crew" ...! Thinking about heading for Morgan Hill, CA, for the CCC Modular Group's Fun Run #6 ...

Thanks for looking! As always, comments & suggestions are welcome!

CHEERS!

Grant

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  3:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grant -

Any progress is good progress. :) I hope you do make it to our Fun Run.

Edited by - kewlbrew on 01/10/2010 3:58:49 PM

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  8:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
O.K. ... it's been almost two months (I'm beginning to think this might be a pattern ... ...), but trust me ... we're making progress ... ...! Loosing my high-speed internet access hasn't helped, either ... ...

So, after some thought and some trial & error, I decided to nix the Bragdon hard-shell-over-formers idea and went with stacking pieces of foam board vertically ...

... then go after it with a hot wire & rasps like I've done with the rest of the landforms, and I'm happy with it. I knew I'd end up with some gaps, but I had this idea to use some of that gap-filling aerosol foam to fill 'em ...

I actually like this stuff, but plan ahead if you choose to use it ... once you open the can and start to spray it in, you need to keep going until it's all gone or you'll waste it (it's not like a can of spray paint that you can spray a little then put away 'til the next time). After I carved it to shape, I put a thin layer of Woodland Scenics Foam Putty over the top to seal it (it is rather porous stuff, after all).

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  8:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a meeting scheduled for near the first part of February, but only Randy & I showed up. He looked over the progress I had made, then suggested that I extend the end of the first switchback (on the left wing) around the corner a bit to add some potential action & interest to that part of the module (since the right wing has the limestone transfer facility going on, there). His lumber mill module hooks up to my left wing, and he has a building, a road, and a spur track that ends at the joint ... so we figured that I could add a bit more of the road on my module and maybe an incline railway up to the switchback end. I think it's going to work out fine ... I just need to work out the details of the building and the background landforms ...

Our next meeting was Feb. 18, and we had the whole crew! All the modules came out and lots of work got done!

We also agreed at that meeting that we have a goal of April 15 as the date that we have all the modules ready to bolt up and test run some trains! Granted, none of them will be close to finished (except maybe Randy's ... ...!), but we will have at least put them all together and made sure they all work! And, seeing trains run will only motivate us to make more progress towards a finished set of modules! The possibility of having a few of our modules on display at O Scale West this summer is a strong motivator too ... ...!

Hopefully, it won't be two more months before my/our next progress report ... wish me luck getting high-speed internet access at my new diggs!

Thanks for looking & checking in! As always, comments & suggestions are more than welcome! And, as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Leo Starrenburg
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  9:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Grant,

please tell me, how do you keep the place so clean when carving foam ?

I end up standing up to my knees in debris by just looking at the stuff :-(

cheers, Leo.

evangardner
Section Hand

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  9:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit evangardner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am thoroughly impressed with how clean and well built these modules are.

Evan Gardner
Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.ferrus-workshops.com

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  9:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grant -

Great progress!!!

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  05:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant and the group, great progress, looking forward to your next report, fingers are crossed for your April 15th goal.

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000