Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  03:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John -

Randy & I were just talking about inter-Group connect-ability last Thursday night ... it is something that is on our (as in, the two of us) high-priority list! As we get closer to being completely operational, you will definitely be hearing from us in that regard ... ...! Even after I get the track laid and trains operational on my modules, there will still be a lot of work to do before I will be able to call them DONE ... ...!

Sorry I missed you guys at Ardenwood ... hope I can make it down to San Jose ... it's further away, but I know the layout will be bigger (just hope I can find some place to camp ... ...

CHEERS!

Grant

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  02:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
Is the CCC still using MRC Prodigy Advance DCC? If so, do you know if a Prodigy Express cab can be plugged into Prodigy Advance? I'm thinking of purchasing the Prodigy Express and was wondering if I could use the Express cab with the CCC system.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Randy -

Yes we are. The PE cab is compatible with the PA/PA2 systems. It doesn't have all of the function access of a PA cab (16 vs 28) but still has every thing you need to run.

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  9:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Grant/Randy....

How does your meeting schedule work? I thought I might be able to get away for a Thursday night and drive down and take a look. I have some new wheels to break in and that is a nice run that won't wear anything out.

Rick in Medford

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  02:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
We would love to have you down for a visit. We meet every other Thursday at Grant's shop. We are just starting construction again after the summer layoff. Grant has been doing some shop reorganizing and construction has been a little slow.
Good to hear that you are up for a trip.
I'll be in contact with you off-line for more info on a visit.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  01:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grant and Randy:
Are you guys going to make it down for Rail Fair in Roseville, Nov 4th and 5th? We met at John Cooper's barn meet some months ago. Our club (Northern California Narrow Gaugers) is setting up there. Hope you guys can make it. Your module construction is great. I look forward to seeing it up close and in person sometime.

Scott in Rocklin, CA

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  04:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Scott!

I tried to reply to this last night, but a lightening strike took out the power just before I could hit the "Post New Reply" button ... ...!

You bet, I (we) remember you ... as well as Bill, John, and some of the others. Thanks, again, BTW, for the personally guided tour of your home layout!

Yes, I think that several of us will be heading down for the Rail Fair ... looking forward to checking out the latest progress on your modules, up close & personal like. Don't know if we'll be bringing any of ours, down, though. Randy is the only one making any appreciable progress ... I'm making some slow headway, but since my surgery in July, what little energy I have needs to go towards running the business (I did get some track laid on one module last week, and another piece tonight).

We'll look forward to seeing you guys, again! Maybe do a "plug & play" with your modules, sometime ...? As always, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant
CN&C - California Northern & Cascade On30 Modular Group, Redding, CA

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  11:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,

are you coming down for the day or doing an overnight?

Looking forward to seeing you guys again

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  2:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weather permitting, John, I'd like to bring my teardrop trailer down and do an overnight ... ... (just can't seem to get enough camping in!). The Rail Fair is at the Fairgrounds, right(?), and I'm pretty sure they have facilities there that I could use to camp ...

CHEERS!

Grant

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  3:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,

It is at the fairgrounds in Roseville. If you cannot find a place at the fairgrounds you could park at my house. I have a fifth wheel trailer and motor home here at them moment. Pretty sure we could fit you in.

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  02:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the offer, John!

We'll see how it looks when I get down there. See you in just over two weeks, then!

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  05:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy Cow! I can't believe it's been almost two months! since my last post, and three months! since I posted any pics ... almost makes me want to hide my head ... ...!

Progress has been made, though ... slowly, as it happens ... but progress, nonetheless ... ...!

Conner has been laying track ...

Ross has been laying track ...

I've been laying track ...

... and even got it wired up, hooked up to Randy's module, and ran all my locos/railcars to test everything!

The first & foremost concern was whether our modules lined up and fit right, and it looks like all the planning & forethought worked out! My next big concern was whether the transition from Randy's flat grade and my nearly 4% grade was going to be too sharp and cause problems ... but it appears that I dodged the bullet, and these units pass over it with nary a problem ...

... the overall consensus was that when we change all our couplers over to KayDees, there shouldn't be any problems in this area.

Gotta tell ya ... it really felt good to run some trains ...
...! I do have a couple of small bugs to work out, though, and then it'll be on to forming the tunnel liners, ballasting the track in the tunnels, and then closing them in so I can continue on up with the rest of the mountain.

Randy's been working on structures and re-working a couple of spots on his scenery base ... and we got the end plates glued on Corey's modules.

So, obviously, we're not setting the world on fire with our progress ... but we haven't allowed ourselves to be stagnant, either ... ...! And, I'll try to be more diligent about posting a bit more often ... and not off so much ...!

Thanks for checking in!

Grant

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  07:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant, even though it's been a while, it looks like you all have been busy. Keep us poated.

Mark

W,L,&E

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  3:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress guys! I look forward to seeing trains running. Do you think you all might be able to setup at John Cooper's annual BARN MEET this coming year? Assuming he is still having it and you guys could make it down to Penryn.

Scott

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  3:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott & others,

"The Great Barn Meet of 2010" is on the books for May 15th 2010, Hope you guys can bring down some modules.

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000