Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  2:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill!

Check your personal messages ... ...!

CHEERS!

Grant

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  12:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
I'm not sure what questions you had about my time saver but I'm uncertain as to why you refer to it as a time waster? I'm assuming you must have had experience with this layout in the past. Did you find it disappointing? I know John Allen designed it as a puzzle and did not really intend for it to be an actual layout but it really is fun to operate. Although I'm not done with it yet I feel I have presented a plausible layout with a switching puzzle incorporated.
Hope you are enjoying your summer break from the legislature. We missed you at the Great Barn Meet this year.
Take Care,
Randy Rouse
Redding, CA.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  09:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time Saver gained the monicker Time Waster as you spent hours switching cars instead of doing other things 8>))-- it's all fun.

As for missing the legislative session -- Thank God it's over. We're now betting on when the first special session will occur as the revenues continue to decline.

I really wanted to make the barn meet but as work makes train expenditures possible (in)sanity prevailed -- maybe another time.

As to the TimeSaver plan it looks like you just followed the "theme" of the original and extended sidings, made it compatable with other modules, etc -- didn't happen to make a formal trackplan that can be shared did you?

It's a beautiful morning in Las Vegas and time to take the dogs to the park.

Everyone have a good day.

Bill Uffelman

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  3:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
This is a basic track plan of my modules.
This will be my first attempt at posting a picture so if it does not work I'll keep trying.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

Edited by - slatecreeklogger on 07/03/2009 12:10:07 AM

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  5:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can send it to me direct at ufffam AT yahoo.com

TIA

Bill

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  6:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy your file is good.

I will delete this post when you are able to add the picture to your post.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Edited by - BigLars on 06/13/2009 6:22:27 PM

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  6:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy,

Looks good ... an active little module ...

Tom M.

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  6:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Testing my sanity!

Larry,
I'll try the name change and see if that is the issue. Randy R. The PERIOD after my last letter maybe the cause.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

Edited by - slatecreeklogger on 07/03/2009 12:31:41 AM

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  8:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the posting "team". Saved it to my hard drive.

Bill Uffelman
Gin & Tonic time in Las Vegas NV

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  05:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I've managed to make some more progress on my modules ... working mostly in the evenings after the daily orders have gone out. Basically, it amounts to adding more layers to the "cake" ... the solid layer of pink making a total height (so far) of 8" from the deck. I also finished the carving of the opening between the tunnels ...

The pink layer over the top of the tunnels is still removable ... until I lay the tracks and run some trains to make sure all is O.K. with clearances and workable grades. I just had to cut out some portal mockups to get a "feel" for what it might end up looking like ... ...!

As much as I want to keep stacking foam pieces and start carving the grades for the On18 switchbacks, this is as far as I take the build-up process, for now (I still have 10" more to go to reach the "landing", then a 4-6" removable "cap" to top things off). The next steps are to pull the modules apart, cut, fit, & install the 1/8" endplates, re-assemble & align, and then start laying track! And, as mentioned a few posts back, I still need to "fine tune" the grade at the turnouts for the siding & spur on the right wing mod ...

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  05:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some motive power showed up on Friday, June 12, as well ... ...! I hadn't planned on getting a Shay for 6 months or a year, and the Goose was a "someday, maybe" sort of thing ('til I heard Ross' on Randy's modules, last weekend, that is!), but when I stumbled upon these two for a killer of a deal, well, I moved the timetable up a bit ... ...! They both have sound & DCC, BTW.

As mentioned in the Lounge, the Shay will get a wagon-top type boiler like those on the Diamond & Caldor as shown in the lateset issue of Logging, Mining, & Industrial Annual, and the Goose will probably get bashed, but I'm not sure, yet, which direction I'll take ... plenty of time for that ... ...!

I bought myself this B'mann Rail Bus & Trailer for my birthday back in December, and it is really the catalyst for what has now reached an almost obsessive disorder. It will be lettered for the Bullyhill & Copper City RR, an homage to the memories of my father and his father, a long-lost RR that served the city, mine & smelter in one of many, many areas now covered by Lake Shasta, here in Northern California.

Well, that's it for now! Our regular meeting is scheduled for this Thursday night, but I'm headed out to go caping the next morning and have a Dr.'s appointment in Sacramento the following Monday, so unless Randy posts something while I'm gone, there won't be another update 'til I get back. I'll be 'round 'til just before I leave, though, so if you've got any questions or comments, let 'em fly ...!

'Til the next time ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  05:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grant Whipp

... the solid layer of pink making a total height (so far) of 8" from the deck ...

Jeeezzzzz ... did I really say 8" ... ...? At 2" per layer of blue and 1" per layer of pink, it's obvious & easy to see that is really 10" ... ...!

Steven Tyler ... where are you when you're needed ... ...?

CHEERS!

Grant

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  09:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,

Very nice progress. Your new locs look right at home ...

Tom M.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  12:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grant
Always love to see steady progress with no compromise to quality or workmanship. Very well done.
Keep the posts coming.
Peter
BCT

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  4:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can post pictures now
Thanks to all that helped out with my issues. At least my posting issues that is.
It was my user name that was fouling things up.
My new user name is slatecreeklogger which matches my email.

Grant, Looking good in the neighborhood! If that Goose can go through the tunnels then everything else should. Getting closer to laying track everyday bro.
Take care,
Randy R.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000