Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  5:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity, John ...

... why a 42" long module? Did someone build a 54" module you had to compensate for, or ???

I know I've got a 70-1/2" module planned that will fit in the closet of my office, and I've got a 25-1/2" mod designed that will partner up with that one so that they'll plug into the rest of the Group's system without messing up things too much ... ...! Maybe we're just being anal about keeping the pieces in the 4' and 8' lengths range ... ...?

CHEERS!

Grant

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  7:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's the length that it is just because that was as small as I could make it and maintain minimum radius. We don't have a set length. We have mostly 6 footers but there are 5's, 4's, 8's, etc. Since the CCC has no plans to run in a circle, we aren't as concerned about consistent lengths.

-John

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  11:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Grant post when you guys are going to set up somewhere in advance I would like to come down an see your setup. I am impressed with the construction of your modules, especially since I am in the drywall screw and 1x4 carpentry club! I am interested in starting a group in the area here and have been trying to come up with ways to find others of like interests. They are having a hobby fair here on Aug.8,the first ever in our local events center to create interest in different hobbies. I plan on making up some fliers describing the concept and display a bunch of equipment and structures in hope of drawing out a modeler or two. I really don't know if I am the only On30 guy around this coast but I am definitely beginning to feel that way, but you never know there could be one or two around. Hope so. Jerry

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  04:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hiya, Jerry!

Where are you? I get 'round different parts of the NW several times a year ... maybe I could drop in on you ... ... ...! PM me if you want, or drop me an e-mail at lilbear@teardrops.net ...

We will, for sure, let you all know when & where we plan to have our first (and subsequent) "Running of the Trains"! We don't really have a set goal for a time to have everything operable, but we do have a couple of target dates to have several of the modules up-&-running enough to see how & if they will plug-&-play nicely with several other Groups' modules ... with the possibility ( read, total speculation, here ...) of a "California Cluster" kind of thing where all (or most) of the West Coast On30 Modular Groups put together a kind of mega-display at a major event sometime next year. (Does the Guinness Book of World Records have some kind of category for greatest number of modules connected together & operable ... ...?)

Well, my track & switches finally showed up today (Thurs.), and the first thing that jumped right out at me is that I should have gotten 2 lefts & 1 right instead of 2 rights & 1 left turnouts ... ...! No matter, at least I was able to finally plot exactly where the switches & track will be on my right wing module, and I can start carving the foam there! Plenty of time to get another switch ordered (maybe more, so Corey can have the switches for his modules, too) ... besides, the HS has my correct address, now, and it shouldn't take 3 weeks for delivery next time ... ...! (They actually had it right from the beginning ... somebody just didn't know how to write! ...)

'Til nex time ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2009 :  11:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Grant, if you guys want some #5 Fast Track switches 3 right and 3 left ready to lay code 83 I have them extra. I can send them to you if you like. They just need to be spiked to wood ties. I planned on using them someday but my RR has pretty much reached the point to where I won't use them. The one additional section I plan on will be straight track. Jerry

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/31/2009 :  11:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi grant, randy, john & the rest,

i have been catching up on the posts here and wanted to throw in my $.02 worth on the insulation of track. I have been using my dremel cotoff disc to cut my rails in the least obtrusive spots, then acc-ing in some strip styrene, letting it dry for a few minutes. shaping the styrene to thr rails with an xacto, and finally painting. i had a lot of problems trying to work with the insulated joiners and making them look good. my method is not very time cosuming. give it a try. it's almost invisible.

i'm looking forward to visiting again and hope i get a chance to see all your progress soon!

keep it up!

rick in medford

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  06:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hiya, Rick!

Nice to se you online, here ... Welcome Aboard!

You bet, we'll all be looking forward to seeing you again sometime soon ... sure hope you are feeling better with every day ... ...!

'Til next time ...

CHEERS!

Grant

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  12:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick -

I'm a rail cutter as well. The only time I use the plastic joiners is between modules.

-John

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  05:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, We had our usual Every Other Thursday Night meeting and, what-do-ya-know, we had all five members there! All 12 of the modules that are in my shop were on their legs and being worked on, and it was a veritable hive of busy bees buzzin' & hummin' ... the sounds of animated discussion over track plans, module features, techniques for this idea or that, and the scraping of sureforms against foam ... the smells of foamboard adhesive, and the hotwire cutting through foam ... it was a night of progress! ... ...! Unfortunately, I was so wrapped up with what i was doing that I completely forgot to take pictures ... ...! (... maybe I'll pull out Ross' & my modules this weekend and snap a few pics. They were the only mods that you could see visible progress ...).

We also had a guest that evening, a potential "convert" as it were ... ...! Glenn Smith is an avid HO fan/modeler with a sizable home layout that is mostly complete, and when he heard about our group and how "active" we seemed to be, he decided to check us out. By the end of the evening, he was talking about building a couple of 6' modules (one with a wye and the other a simple run-through), and we asked "so, you think you'd like to give On30 a try, huh?" ... he said "sure, absolutely!" ... so, we voted in our 6th member!

Meanwhile (as in, first part of the week), I ordered up six wooden side-dump ore cars from International Hobbies to receive the limestone from my mountain quarry ...

... and 12, Sn20/On18 side-dump ore cars from Banta Modelworks to bring the limestone down off the mountain ...

... none of which will be here for a month or more. I've got lots to do before they get here, and lots to do after, so I don't think I'll be worrying about what to do with any spare time I might have for quite a while ... ...!

(... I just knew I'd figure out a way to include a couple of pics in this post ... ...)

Well, that's it for now! Like I said earlier, I'll try to pull out some modules in the next few days and snap a few pics of our progress. As always, questions & comments are more than welcome! 'Til next time, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  05:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As promised, here are some epics of the Group's progress last Thursday ...

Ross added some more elevation to his corner piece & finished the track plan for this end, too. There'll be a log loader on the high ground in the back of the corner, and a small trestle will extend the track past the end of the white foam roadbed.

Got the "low ground" track plan worked out and a couple of more details on some more elevation, here, but still "working it out ..."

I got after the front edge of my left wing mod with the hot wire and small sureform ...

... then came back on Friday evening and rough-carved the grades for mainline, siding, and spur on the right wing.

After mocking up the track, it's clear that some "fine tuning" of the grades is in order. The "blocks" behind the spur suggest some stair-stepping to that part of the wall ... on top of which will be the On18 tracks where the limestone gets dumped into the awaiting gondolas.

As mentioned in the previous post, these are the only modules where any visible progress was made. While Corey & Conner were definitely working on theirs, they're having to play catch-up with Ross & I in the same way we are having to play catch-up with Randy ... ...!

That's it for this installment ... see you all next time!

CHEERS!

Grant

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2009 :  9:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Grant! I am extremely jealous that I am held
back from my modules because of construction....Grrrrrrr!

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  3:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Asked over on the other forum for more photos of Randy's tme waster/saver module set and I see there are some here that answer most of my
questions.

They look good. Ought to have you cut a couple set of module components and ship them to the land of dry heat!

Bill Uffelman
Back in Las Vegas NV

SteveWatson
New Hire

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  4:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit SteveWatson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cavorite...General Products...

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  05:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Uffelman

... They look good. Ought to have you cut a couple set of module components and ship them to the land of dry heat! ...

Thanks, Bill!

Funny you should mention that! My 87-year-young father was just saying, today, that I ought to figure out a way that I could make back some of the money I've invested in model RR'ing these past several months ... ...! I told him, "Nope ... am there, doing that ... don't need another job ... this is my hobby! "
(I took my passion for teardrop trailers and camping and turned it into a rather successful business for the last 25 years, and am still loving nearly every minute of it ...!)

But, that said ... how big of a hurry are you in? And, would you want the Standard-Weight or the Feather-Weight? I may be coming down to Long Beach later this summer... if you'd be willing to pop over to La-La-Land to pick 'em up, you might be able to twist my arm in to building you a couple ...
Or, how about the NG Convention in the 'Springs this September ... are you going there? I'm seriously thinking about it ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  6:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would want feather weight framing -- I can knock together "regular" stuff -- just don't have shop set up to do the relief holes and such.

A set of rails could be flat packed in cardboard and shipped US postal for not a bunch I bet -- less than gas to SoCal! Or I could divert to your place from a trip to Carson City using my wife's Cadillac SRX and toss them in.

Lots of ways to skin a cat!

Bill Uffelman
Back in the land of dry heat -- LV NV

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000