Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  05:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kewlbrew

I think this would look good running around the modules.

-John

Hiya, John!

Yes indeed ... that little loco would definitely look good runnin' 'round our modules ... or yours, for that matter ... ...!

I found this today, though, and it kind of got my creative juices flowing:

Heya, Randy!

Glad to see you on, here ... ... I need somebody to keep me in line, from time-to-time, and make sure I'm gettin' the facts straight ... ...! Now, to see if I can get the image to upload for me ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  06:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, since I just figured out why the Forum wouldn't let me post pics of Randy's modules (and I fixed the problem on my end - the Forum software doesn't like apostrophes in the .jpg codes ...), here's the pics I tried to post a few days ago:

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  06:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And, two more ...

What was it that Larry said a few posts back, "... now you just have to find some one in the group to step up and scenic a module to set the bar higher for the rest of the group ..." ...? Well, I'd say Randy has done a pretty fair job of that, don't you think ... ...?

Like I mentioned in the Lounge earlier, I didn't get a chance to take pics of this last Thursday's meeting, so I'll do a little clean-up, and take a few "after the fact" shots and post 'em in a few days. And, I'm still waitin' on my track & switches to arrive from the USPS ... ...!

Oh, well ... onwards & upwards, no matter the pace, eh what ... ...? 'Til next time, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  08:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The group is making nice progress Grant. The Piker and President cars were put out by Walthers in HO scale many years ago. I agree with you that they would make interesting On30 models.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  09:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant:

I watching the gangs progress ... thanks for sharing ...

Tom M.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  10:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,
Yeah thats what I meant, this should get everyone elso moving. Randy was some work cut out for him scratching those buildings he has mocked up.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2009 :  4:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress, Grant. This module is very promising.

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  04:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, today was a wash (O.K., yesterday ... Monday!), 'cause whatever "bug" has been hangin' 'round really nailed me, and I couldn't do anything! Did get into the shop Sunday afternoon, however, and managed to take the weight off the foam on my corner module and clean up a bit ... then move Ross' mods out a little and click some pics.

Ross got his lower-level track plan figured out, glued in some 4% grades, and then got out the hot-wire carving tool for a little foam sculpting:

(... he'll be adding some more layers of foam as the tracks climb a couple of switchbacks, and he bulks up the terrain to match ...)

The white sheet of paper on the left corner of the corner piece is a copy of the overall layout as it will look with everything we currently have bolted together. I took the rough sketch we did several weeks ago, made up something a bit more accurate, then made copies for everyone's reference (so they can see where their mods are in relation to everyone elses, and give them a place to doodle some trackage ideas):

(... Ross' are on the lower right, mine are on the upper left ...)

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  04:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hhhmmmmm ... I see the Forum software doesn't like ampersands in the .jpg code either ... ...! At lease I figured it out ... this time ...

Anyway, I mentioned earlier that I'd glued up some more foam on my corner piece ...

... and since I had Ross' mods out of the way to take the pics (and I had a little time on my hands), I decided to give the hot-wire tool a try for myself, and carve a little on the area that will be between the two tunnels ...

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  05:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally, a shot of the grade finish-carved into the left wing ...

I've got to add the equalizing build-up layers to this left wing in the next week or so (done very much the same as the corner piece), and then cut & fit a cap layer of pink that'll be the roof of the tunnels ...

Clearly, there's still lots of carving to do ... and when my track & switches finally show up, I'll get to carve the grades in the right wing, lay down some latex paint on the roadbed, cut out for the Tortoise switch machines, and then glue down some track ... ...!

I don't think I'll have to worry about finding something to do while I wait for a date with the back surgeon ... nor what I'll do to keep me occupied during recovery ... ...!

Thanks for looking! As always, comments & questions are more than welcome! 'Til the next time, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  05:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and BTW ... Randy?

You do know that you can come along and add progress pics of your modules to this thread at any time, don't you ... ... ... ... ... ...?

As always, my Friend ...

CHEERS!

Grant

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  2:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Grant -

Have you pulled a string of cars over your grade transitions (sans track) to check the coupler alignments?

-John

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  02:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,
I think you are doing a great job of keeping everyone up to date on our progress. I didn't want to hijack your thread by posting my own stuff. If there is an open invitation then maybe I will try and figure out how to post some pictures.
Progress on my modules has been in small increments. I have glued dummy ties under the rail joints. I've been laying out the wiring and connections and hope to have trains running by this weekend. I painted under the mill site and touched up some other small areas. After they are up and running smoothly I'll start on the retaining walls along the right of way.
Take care,
Randy Rouse

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  04:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kewlbrew

Hey Grant -

Have you pulled a string of cars over your grade transitions (sans track) to check the coupler alignments?

-John

Hi, John!

Not yet! Of course, I'd need some cars, first ... ...! But, I've got a flexible metal yard stick I've been laying on all the joints & transitions. I'm also waiting to get the right wing carved out before I go back and fine tune everything.

quote:
Originally posted by Randy R.

... If there is an open invitation then maybe I will try and figure out how to post some pictures ...

Randy!

Of course you are invited! This thread is for the whole Group, and I hope the others will join in and post updates on their modules ... whether they take 'em home and work on 'em or leave 'em at my shop ... if they've got pics & comments, this here's the place ... ...!

'Til next time ...

CHEERS!

Grant

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  2:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have any updates on any of my CCC modules but I could post a pic or two.

Here's one of the smaller modules (24"x42") that started life with a practical need but no real theme.

The above image is the current state of what I now call the Oak Jct module. In the background is the Big Trees module. In the lower foreground is the Hobo Pond module.

Here is a shot of Oak Jct long before it had a theme. It's purpose was chiefly to shift the track from one side to the other. I opted to have a straight through route as well. Hobo Pond is in the background.

-John

Calif. Central Coast On30

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000