Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 148 ]  [ Total: 156 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  04:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Geezer & Tom!

I don't mind sharing my specs at all ... anything that'll help others along! Lord knows I've gleaned so much from everyone else's knowledge & sharing, the least I can do is return the favor!

Like I mentioned earlier, the end plates and side frames are 1/2" plywood, 3-7/8" high ... the end plates are 23-15/16" wide, the side frames are 47-1/6" long (you might need to go a 32th inch more if you use standard 1/2" ABX, 'cause it's even more less than 1/2" than the baltic birch I used on these modules) ... cross beams are 1-13/16" (3-7/8" cut dead in half) but 23-1/16" long on "close-to" 16" centers (I fudged them a little to get even spacing between all) ... then it's all capped with 1/4" luan, 23-15/16" x 48" (by cutting 'em 23-15/16", I can get four decks from a single sheet of 4'x8')

The legs are 2x4 redwood, split dead down the middle, so they end up 1-1/2" x 1-11/16" ... 45" long (but, I might have to shave another 1/2" off to get the full adjustment we want ... time will tell ...). The leg pockets are made from the same 1/2" plywood, again 3-7/8" wide, but one piece is 1-3/4" across and the other is a hair over 2", netting a pocket that is 1-9/16" x 1-3/4" and allowing a 1/16" or so on two sides for clearance. Cross braces on the legs are 1/2" plywood, 1-13/16" x 23". All joints are glued and screwed or stapled (I've got a big pneumatic stapler, so ... ... but, I pre-drilled & screwed the leg pockets in). Some folks might want to counter-sink the screws, but since all the joints are glued, I'll just come back and grind the heads flush with the ply before I install fascia plates & boards (which will be 1/8" hardboard/masonite).

Hope that covers it! If I forgot something, or wasn't clear enough somewhere, let me know and I'll come on back and try to fill in the gaps ...!

I mentioned last post that we glued the foam to the remaining 4 standard and 2 of the corner modules, so here's a pic of that (yeah, I scored some 2" blue ... ...!) ...

'Til later, then ...

CHEEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  05:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I was able to work on my corner module a little, late this afternoon & early evening! Got the first layer of blue foam on last weekend, so today I made up the leg sets, then cut & pre-fit the second layer of blue foam. A layer of 1" pink will follow this one, then I'll mark out where the track will lay, and start sanding/filing for the grade (it'll start at full height in the middle, then taper down 'til I hit blue foam on either end ... the "wings" will start at 4" and taper down to 2" just before transitioning at the common end plate). I think that's as far as I'll take it for now ... until I can get some track laid, modules bolted up, and a train or two run ... so that if I need to adjust the grade, I can do so without having to tear out my tunnels or work in an even deeper narrow canyon ... ...!

Hope you enjoy the pics! 'Til nex time ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  05:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple more pics. The voids you see in the second layer will be there in the 3rd & 4th layers, then I'll do a full-coverage sheet, and back to 2 or 3 layers with voids (all stacked like a wedding cake) ... to try to save some weight. Hopefully, this will work ... ...!

This last shot was just for fun! Being a bit of a photographer, I couldn't resist ... ...!

Thanks for looking! As always ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  05:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if saving styrofoam weight is really worth the effort, Grant. Have you measured the weight of the removed pieces?

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  08:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice work there Grant - and thanks for the information too. I will give it a shot when I can find my workshop again. Too much stuff in there while waiting to move into the new house.
Thanks again....
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about "easing the load" by losing some of the foam. - JMO

The Geezer

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  10:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,

Appreciate the detail ....

Tom M.

mikesjustbridges
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  11:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikesjustbridges's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a project! I have been thinking about building some modules and your design is the best I've seen so far. My wife and I are still deciding on where we will call home for longer than the next couple of years. This might be a good, movable option. Is there a master plan you could share or is it just a bunch of post-it-notes?
Thanks,

It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government. -Thomas Paine

No, That's not a mistake. I did that to give it some extra character. I'm glad you noticed! -Mike@mikesjustbridges.com

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  04:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, All!

Frederic & Geezer, re: saving weight by "carving" out the foam ... don't forget, this module will be between 18" and 24" high when it's done! If I can save a couple of pounds here & there, it's going to make a heck of a difference to this aging aching old back ... pending surgery or not ... ...! 'Sides ... it's not all that much work ... and, I kind of like puzzles ... ...!

Mike - "Plans"? What plans? I don't need no stinkin' plans ...! Iíve never been one for making formal plans ... preferring to work from basic sketches and reasonably accurate measurements. But wait ...? Were you referring to a formal track plan ... or a formal plan for the modules ...?

For the modules, I'm just following the basic guidelines of several On30 Modular Groups, so if given the chance, any one or more of us could plug in to their layouts as a "guest". And with regard to the modules' construction ... again, I just took the various guidelines and applied my own experience & preferred techniques, factoring in my "Outlaw" streak ... ...!

As for a track plan, the Group has agreed on a basic loop to get things grounded & going. Ross is doing a logging operation, Randy is doing a lumber mill, I'm doing a montain-top mine, Conner is doing a bit of a yard, and Corey has some kind of "town" planned (I think). Beyond that, it's going to be a "see what you can come up with and we'll see where & how we can plug it in!" kind of thing. Who knows where it will end up?

Speaking only for myself, I've got 4 more "scenes" on the sketch-up board, making for at least 8 more modules, and that doesn't include a couple of potential ones that could pull double-duty as a part of an extended home layout. As usual, though, I've got way more ideas than I have either energy or money, so it's a darn good thing that "paper modeling" is so affordable ... ...!

Well, I guess I kind of rambled, there, didn't I ... ...? So, I'll just cut this off and move on ...!

BTW, Mike ... I love your bridges! One of these days, I'll have to tackle one or two!

Thanks for your comments, Everyone! As always ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  06:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well ...

... I managed to make a little more progress on my corner modules this week, and a little more work done on the remaining club members' pieces.

Got the 2nd & 3rd layers of foam glued to my corner piece ...

... and while that was setting, I made a lot of sawdust cutting a bunch of redwood 2x4s to length and then ripping them down the middle to make the legs for the rest of the modules. A couple of evenings later I found a stash of 1/2" plywood "scraps" I'd squirreled away in a corner of the shop, and made cross-braces for the leg sets. Wednesday evening was spent putting the leg sets together & fit for each module ... and because I'm that kind of anal, I plotted where the braces would go on my modules' legs, then took the router to them with a roundover bit and knocked off the sharp corners on all the legs & braces before assembly.

Somewhere, my calculations were off, and I ended up short of legs for two modules! Fortunately, I'd bought an extra 2x4, then managed to scrounge up two more 4-footers, so I called it quits for the night and figured I was ready for the Thursday night meeting. As it turned out, two members couldn't make it, so the others called it off, and that left me there all by myself to do what else ...? ... why, do some more work on the modules, of course ... ...! I wasn't going to waste the evening! So, I legged up the last two modules, then set my sights on working on my own three! Yeah, free time for me ... ...!

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  07:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After the glue had set on my corner module, I layed out where the track would go, and marked off the tunnels with a Sharpee. Whenever I got a chance between packaging & shipping customer orders, I'd put in a few swipes with a shurform and/or a sanding block, cutting the grade out of the top, pink layer of foam (it drops 1" from the center to each end).

Wednesday night, I'd bolted my other modules to the corner piece, in preparation for the Group's meeting on Thursday. Then the group decided to cancel, so after I'd put the last sets of legs together, I decided to cut & fit the 2nd layer of 2" foam to my "wing" modules, and plot out where the track will lie on those ... so I'll have an idea where to cut and finish the grade on them (not to mention to help get the "feel" of how this thing is going to look!).

The planned grade drops 2" from the corner section down to the end of each "wing" ... a total of 3" in about 6' when you include the corner piece ... hoping it's not too much, but that's why nothing will be permanent until we've run some trains (the Group thinks it'll be all right, so I'm feeling reasonably positive ...)!

On the last pic you can see the planned spur where the limestone from the mountain will be transferred from the On18 quarry cars to the On30 gondolas ... probably drop-bottoms, but I've got a bit of research to do to see what the prototypes actually used. You can also see the planned siding where the empties will be set out and the loaded cars picked up.

Well, that's probably going to be it for at least a couple of weeks. Next weekend (Apr. 30-May 3), I host an annual Teardrop Trailer Campout (the 16th Dam Gathering), so I'll be tied up with the preparations & presentation, not to mention the day-to-day running of my business ... I really doubt that I'll have any time for any more work on the modules. The Group meets again on the 7th, so I might have an update after that.

Thanks for looking ... questions & comments are always welcome! 'Til the next time ...

CHEERS!

Grant

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  08:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,
Great looking modules, this should be a great layout. ON18 and ON30 another very narrow minded guy, I will be interested in what you do in ON18 I am still making slow progress with my ON18 mine.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  11:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing carpentry skills Grant! I envy you that you have like minded modelers in the area to share the hobby with.

Mike

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  1:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of good work there Grant!!!
I am curious to learn what you cut the blue foam with.
Do you use your table saw, skill saw & straight edge or mebbe an
old Disson you had laying around....; )
I can get the blue 2" stuff locally and will be "scoring" some
myself in the very near future. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Dashman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dashman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Grant- "ditto" all the comments here- this looks more like art than carpentry !! I really like not only how lightweight it seems, but also the portability factor. This may be an option for me for wherever we end up moving to in the near future; it would give me the option of running SOMETHING and not having to tear it out in another 3 years or so.
Thanks for sharing this- I'll be watching and jotting notes with interest!

Mike

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  05:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks! for the supportive comments, Guys ... they're very much appreciated!

Larry - I'm kind of anxious to see what I do with the On18, too ... ... I have a "plan" ... but we all know how plans can get altered by reality, don't we ...?

Tyson - yes, we are indeed fortunate that we all live so close! I co-own the shop with my father, and I'm the one who has to drive the furthest whenever we have a meeting ... ...! Back in March (I think it was), I traveled to San Francisco to see the California Central Coast On30 Modular Group's set up on display & operation at the Great Train Expo, and was surprised to hear that their members are spread out over hundreds of miles ... so, I guess we are a bit of an exception to the "norm" as it applies to Modular Groups.

Geezer - I'm using a Stanley blade-knife to cut the boards in half, and to cut the radii on the corner piece (you know the routine - score from one side, then score from the other) ... for the rest, I use my table saw. Of course, there's just no way to cut this stuff without making a melluva hess ... ...!

Mike - if I had known about modules and modular construction 30 years ago, well ...
... let's just say that I'd have a lot more experience at this than I do now ... ...! I've learned, though, that everything has its time ... and I'm glad I'm re-entering the hobby now!

Well, I'm going camping for a week ... ... so I'll talk to you all when I get back! You all behave yourselves, and 'til the next time ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000