Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 130 ]  [ Total: 135 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  10:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Everyone here in the CN&C On30 Modular Group wish you all the Merriest of Christmas' and the happiest of New Years!"
Thanks Grant and the same to you and the rest of the CN&C On30 Modular Group.

As you think, so will you be.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  4:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you all are making a lot of progress Grant.

Merry Christmas to all of the Cn&C members.

I have joined the MaDmodule group here in the mid Atlantic region, and hope to get started on some modules after the holidays.

Mark

W,L,&E

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  1:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Gang ... I'm back ... ...!

Business, personal life, a major surgery & recovery, and simply life in general have kept me away from the forum ... but, that doesn't mean there hasn't been any progress on our (and my) modules! Before I run out of battery on my modem, I'll post the video from our first night's run on our layout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSVc6Z34bL0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yes ... we finally got all our modules operational, together in one place, bolted/clamped together, wired, and run a train or two ... ...! It took us most of last Thursday night to get everything operational, but we did it, and had time left to make a few runs. I came back in and ran my Goose on Friday night, then Randy & I tore the whole thing down yesterday (had to put the shop back into "work mode").

The lighting on the video is pretty bad in places 'cause the lighting in the shop where we had the room to set up is pretty bad ... hence the occasional "spot" lights here and there ... and I shot the video on my old (8-10 years old!) Cannon digital camera, so it's kind of grainy.

I'll be back later (when I have more battery power in my modem) and post some update pics.

Hope All are well and everyone is making progress on their respective projects! I hope I'll have the time in the near future to check 'em all out.

As always, thanks for looking ... comments and constructive criticism are always welcome! 'Til next time (soon) ...

CHEERS!

Grant

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  1:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grant -

Congratulations on hitting this milestone!!!

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  2:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see it running, hope to see you and parts of it at the barn meet.

John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  6:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool. Looks like a long run through some great scenes. Hope to see more in the future. Scott

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  10:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once again, it's been a l-o-n-g time between posts ... life is just so dang busy, sometimes ... ...!

The latest news is that I took one of my modules to the Great Barn Meet to hook up with one of the modules from the CCC Modular Group and see if we can "plug & play". Bottom line is that, yes ... we can! Because of a little glitch in wiring, I just need to make up some adaptors so our electricals can plug in.

My second biggest concern was whether or not big locomotives like the 2-8-0s could make the transition from a flat module to mine with a 4% grade without any (or much) problems. Fortunately, somebody at the Meet had one, we placed in on the tracks, and tested it ... and yep, everything worked out fine! Here's a little video I shot to document the occasion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRto6Oq2y7I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Next up is building a roof-top box/carrier so that I can transport my "wing" modules (either on my car or my teardrop camping trailer) while the corner module rides in my car (still gotta figure out where the legs will go, though ... ...!), and then it's on to the National Train Show in Sacramento, CA, July 8-10, where I'll be hooking up with the CCC Group to help form a mega-layout!

Not much happening with the CN&C Group, though, as injuries and illnesses and other life demands have kept most of the others from working on their modules. And, I'm only able to work on mine on occasional Thursdays (those that I'm home for), and then I'm too tired afterwards to come over here to catch up or post any progress pics. Oh well, I'll be back when I can.

Hope everyone else is doing well, and I'll look forward to catching up when I can! Thanks for looking, and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  1:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Grant...

Looking Good! I am trying to plan the July stuff into my calendar around some other doctor stuff in Portland that month. Can't wait to see the layout in operation. Keep up the good work.

Rick

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2018 :  9:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, I had to dig to find this topic/thread! A lot has happened in the last 7-1/2 years ... two members have died, one went off tho the Navy, and one to jail(!), so basically the club disbanded ... Ross Graham's modules were donated to the club/train store where he worked, to be finished in his memory, but they only ended up getting robbed of all the track and stripped down to the base foam before I rescued them ... now I have possession of all modules except for the two that Randy built ... I snagged the corner module that Randy had built up and am now well into re-doing it in a southwest theme (see pic, if I can remember how to do it!) ... but alas, after all these years, I am being forced to severely downsize, and all the modules are FOR SALE! ... either as a complete 14'x14' twelve-piece layout or individual modules (obviously, my 3-piece corner set must go as a set) ... $1,750 for everything, or $100 ea. for the bare 2'x4' mods and $125 ea. for the two bare 3'x3' corner mods ... if you are interested, please respond, here, of send me an e-mail at gnkwhipp@jett.net

Thanks for looking in! As always ...

CHEERS!

"Who Knew Model Railroading Could Be This Much Fun"
CN&C - California Northern & Cascade On30 Modular Group, Founding Member
DWA - Diddy Wells & Afterthought Rwy

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  10:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant, sorry to read about the group disbanding.
Good luck with the sale.

As you think, so will you be.

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  2:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rick! I've been trying to put a Group together here in Southern Oregon, based around these modules, but so far no go, and I'm virtually out of time, so they've got to go ... ...!
CHEERS!
Grant

"Who Knew Model Railroading Could Be This Much Fun"
CN&C - California Northern & Cascade On30 Modular Group, Founding Member
DWA - Diddy Wells & Afterthought Rwy

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  5:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope these go to a good home.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000