Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  11:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,

Looking good, so are we going to have another module group set up at the 2011 Barn Meet?

Mike, great suggestion on the tunnel liner.

John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  03:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, John!

I'm not sure whether or not the club will be ready & up to a "group" display, but we'll see. I'll be there for sure, but won't spend the night before like this year ... got a campout at Black Butte Lake that weekend that I'll be playing hooky from for the day ... ...! It'll be interesting getting all three modules in-and-on the car and still pull the teardrop with everything we'll need for the weekend (but, that's what roof racks are for!).

Anyway, time for another short update. Ross & Corey were the only other ones to show for last week's meeting, but work got done ... ...!

Ross is making steady progress on his modules, fitting some more bridge tracks, shaping some foam, and gluing on more foam. His modules will be a lumber camp and logging scene:

And I started fitting & gluing on some rock faces, and forming my interpretation of Rock Tunnel:

(Yeah, it's a c-l-o-s-e fit, but everything clears ... not only the coach, but the NMRA clearance gauge, too! This spot reminds me of a section of the 'road up Royal Gorge out of Canon City, CO ... I rode it back in '05, and there's this short section where the canyon walls are the shearest where I could literally stick my hand out the gondola I was riding in and touch the rocks as we passed ... ...!)

More to come ... thanks for checking in ... and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  03:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You right Grant, it is close.

But its really looking good. I enjoy all the pictures you post.

Keep up the great work.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  05:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice tunnel entry, the tight space is spectacular.

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  09:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
great job on he tunnel
gonna have to try this soon

On30 Dave
seen on G+, YOUTUBE and FB

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  1:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Grant, we will make room for whatever you bring, hope you can have some trains running around it though.

John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  1:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,

Your gangs work is coming along nicely. I am sure the folks at the Great Barn Meet will appreciate your efforts.

Tom M.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  2:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress all around, Ross & Grant!!!
JMO - I wouls still shae a bit of that entrance...
"just in case".....It looks good anyway! ;-)

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  4:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking real good Grant!

Mike

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  8:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,
I hope none of the LP stick thier head out the window.
I like the looks of the modules.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  12:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grant -

Looking really good!! btw - I sent you and Randy an email related to your efforts.

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2010 :  3:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant I was impressed with the construction of your modules when I saw them this year at John's place, looking forward to seeing them hooked up and running, I am planning on making it down to Ca. for the meet this coming year as well, it was a great time. I missed one of the layouts this year so I need to see that as well. Can't wait for summer. John even made it here to Florence this summer so that was a surprise and welcome visit, wish I had more of the layout done.......Jerry
c
c

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  03:17:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jerry!

It was great finally meeting you at the Barn Meet, and I'm looking forward to seeing you there, again, in May. Believe me, when I finally do make back to Florence, you will be hearing from me ... I'm looking forward to seeing your layout, no matter what stage it's in!

As always ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  01:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
O.K. ... time for an update before the Christmas holiday, and probably the last one for the year!

Not a whole lot of progress has been made during the last couple of meetings ... Ross manages to get a bit more done on his modules, and I've given a couple of "demonstrations" on casting rocks & stone walls with the Bragdon resin & foam method ... Conner has taken his modules home so he can work on them whenever he has the time (instead of waiting 'til he can make a meeting) ... Randy has been busy with his job, family, and his other hobby (fishin'!) ... and it looks like we've picked up a new member, Jim, who is anxious to get his "assignment" (more about that, later)!

I've been able to work one or two nights a week for an hour or two, and here's what I've managed to get done:

Started the stone retaining walls along the ore-loading spur ...

... started work on the "other" rock tunnel entrance ...

... and started fitting a large piece of the rock facing above and at the end of the switch-backs on the right wing module ...

Now, I seem to have forgotten to post a "track plan" for our modules, so if I can fit one more pic into this note, here 'tiz (yeah, a little fuzzy, but I think you can get the idea) ...

... my modules are in the upper left corner, Randy's to the right of mine and the upper right corner, Corey's are on the right end middle, Ross' lower right corner and the two mods to the left, and Conner's are the lower left corner pieces.

We've since updated the "plan" with a wye and a yard turning inward from Corey's modules, consisting of three modules, and these are Jim's "assignment". With any luck, we'll have the whole thing up-and-running by this coming summer (we're just a couple of meetings away from having the whole loop operational, though it doesn't look like it!).

Anyway, thanks for checking in! More to come, of course, and ...

Everyone here in the CN&C On30 Modular Group wish you all the Merriest of Christmas' and the happiest of New Years!

And, as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  09:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Grant,

Great progress and a great looking trackplan. Should be fun to operate when completed.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000