Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  10:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,

Maybe you can bring some of them down to the May Barn Meet, look forward to seeing them in person

John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  10:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Grant,

Good to hear from you. The modules look very nice.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  1:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leo Starrenburg

Hi Grant,

please tell me, how do you keep the place so clean when carving foam ?

I end up standing up to my knees in debris by just looking at the stuff :-(

cheers, Leo.

Hey, Leo!

The secret is a hot-wire tool and a plastic shopping bag hanging nearby ... ...! When I use the rasp/sureform tool, I usually have the shop-vac handy (I also have the air compressor running, and while the modules look clean, you should see the shop floor under the modules ... ...!).

Thanks for the kudos & words or encouragement, All! A few of us are planning to attend the Barn Meet, Jon, but don't know how many pieces we can bring down ... I don't have time to build the roof-top box that will hold the "wing" mods., and I'm a long way off from building the club trailer that will haul everything!

CHEERS!, All!

Grant
(making the best use of my last few minutes on the hotel's high-speed access)

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  10:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mr. Whipple....

What happened to you and the Slate Creek Slacker and the module thread? I wanted to ask if I could purchase one or two of your frames so I can get on to building something that will actually fit in my garage. I was also wanting to see an update on Randy's modules. They must nearly complete by now.

I am coming through your area on May 14th heading to the Barn Meet in Sacto. and would really like to pick up a couple of frames if you have the time to make them. Willing to pay the big bucks for them. If not, no worry...

Looking forward to seeing you guys this summer.

Rick in Medford

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  01:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hiya, Rick!

Might be able to help you out ... ... as I just happen to have the materials already cut out for a couple of 2x4 modules! Drop me a note off-forum at lilbear@teardrops.net ... I'm heading for the Barn Meet, too, leaving Friday afternoon and taking my teardrop to camp overnight.

Progress has been slow, but there's been progress nonetheless! We'd set a goal date of April 15 to hook all the mods together & run some trains, but it wasn't to be ... between some members' health problems and other obligations interfering with meetings, etc., it just didn't happen ... new goal is May 6, but something tells me it will be more like May 20. We just got Corey's mods wired up this last Thursday night, so all we need there are connecting rails and trains will run across his mods. Conner is almost ready to wire his mods (all we need to do is get him to the meetings ...
...). Ross' kidney problems have been keeping him from getting much work done on his mods, but I think that if we can get a couple of productive nights on 'em, we'll have him up-and-running, too. Randy made great progress on his corner mod, but discovered a "minor" alignment problem when he brought it in for a test fit a couple of weeks ago ... ...! I finally got the air brush figured out and weathered my rails ... next is ballasting the corner mod, then figuring out the tunnel liners before I can build up the "mountain" on that piece.

I run a one-man small business out of my shop that's doing pretty well, and I'm sure you've all heard the one about being busier than a one-armed paper hanger ... when you add in my disability factor, I'm pretty shot by the end of the day, and sometimes I don't even have the energy to read railroad and/or modeling books/magazines, let alone putting in any time on the modules ... but somehow I'm keeping focused, and progress is actually being made! So, there is light at the end of the tunnel, as they say, and I'm pretty sure it's not from an on-coming train ... ...!

Stay tuned, and even without high-speed internet, I'll try a bit harder to post updates! Thanks for checking in, and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  12:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man ... can't believe it's been since the end of April since I last posted, here ... ...! Well, things have been moving slowly on the modules, and Randy seems to be the only one making any reportable progress, but hey, we're still moving forward!

I have some photos to post at a later date, but I just wanted to drop in and mention a lesson learned tonight. I went to cast some tunnel liners using the Bragdon resin & foam method, and for some reason I couldn't find the directions right away ... but I went ahead and started from memory! Everything was going well right up to when the time came to mix the resin ... it all mixed as per my memory, and all was looking good ... 'til I dipped the brush into the resin to paint it on the 'liner mold ... it just didn't "feel" right, and the next thing I knew, I had a container of very solid and very hot resin! One of the guys "found" the instructions, and I read where you're only supposed to work this stuff at temperatures between 50 & 70 ... the temp in the shop was in the mid-90s (!), and I suppose the bottles of resin might have been a bit warmer.

O.K., lesson learned? Find & re-read all instructions ... especially when it comes to temperature-sensitive products ... especially during the summer months in Northern California ... ...!

The good news is that nothing critical (or that cannot be repaired) was lost or affected! I'll just have to try again ... when the temps are much cooler!

O.K. ... now to find the time to post some kind of updated photos & reports ... ...!

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  12:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
O.K., All ...

... found a little time to post some pics of our slow progress! The last time we had some modules to clamp/bolt together was when Randy brought his corner piece in to hookup & wire in Corey's modules, and that was May 6th ...!

And, shortly after that, I got two of my modules ballasted:

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/13/2010 :  01:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now, one of the things that has been sort of haunting me throughout the build of my corner module, thus far, is how to do the tunnels. Since they are both short and can be seen clear through from any of the ends, I felt that I should have a finished interior ... which meant (in my mind, at least) some kind of tunnel liner. I looked at some of the commercially available 'liners & molds, but they all needed either multiple castings or considerable modification to fit my curved tunnels. After considerable thought, I came up with what I felt might be a pretty good solution ... make my own molds/forms & 'liners, and use the Bragdon method for casting/forming the 'liners themselves. I started by gluing some foam together and shaping it to the general shape of each tunnel (both taper slightly from the middle openings to the respective ends) ...

... then cutting "kerfs" about 3/4s of the way through on the inside sides of the forms ...

... this allowed the forms to bend to the tunnels' curves. After a couple of failed attempts to hold the forms to the proper curves with liquid nail and duct tape ... ... I hit upon the idea of using pieces of all-thread bored through the forms (while in their respective places) and held to their proper curves with nuts & washers!

Well, I've run out of time this evening, so I'll take this up again in the next day or so. 'Til then, Thanks for looking, and as always, comments, questions, and constructive critiques area most welcome!

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  12:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple or so sots of how I bored the holes. I started with a 6' piece of 1/4" all-thread, then cut that into three 2' pieces. One piece was kind of boogered up, so I used that one as my bore ... I flattened one end with a big hammer, then ground a point on that end ... then I chucked it up in my old Makita drill and went after it (after marking a line to help guide me). I only mis-bored once, but you'll never see the hole in the tunnel wall ... the 'liner will cover it ... ...!

With the forms still in place, I shoved the other pieces of all-thread through the bored holes, put large "fender" washers on each end, then a couple of smaller washers, then nuts ... when I was happy with the shape of the forms, I added another nut at each end to "double-nut" the ends to keep them from loosening. After several test-fits, I crumpled up some aluminum foil, then wrapped the forms with it.

Now, when I first came up with this idea, the original plan was to coat the foil with petroleum jelly, paint it flat black on the top and grey on the sides, then coat the forms with Bragdon's resin and quickly set the forms in place, and follow that with his foam ... hopefully, after the foam had cured a bit, I would be able to pull the forms out, maybe with the foil still on them, thus leaving me with "cast-in-place" tunnel liners! Right about this point, however, business got real good, summer camping season set in, and I never got back 'round to the "original plan" ... which, as you'll see, wasn't such a bad thing ... ...!

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  01:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it's a good thing when you don't follow your original plan and see it through right away. All summer long, something about my "plan" kept bugging me, and I kept coming back to the step of pulling out the tunnel forms and "hoping" that the 'liners would be in place and ready to continue the land-forming. I just didn't feel confident, anymore, that it would work as desired.

Then, one day, it hit me ... just coat the forms with the resin and foam on the workbench, shave down the excess foam on the sides, peel the 'liners off, trim to fit, glue in place, then final-fill with more foam and carve that flat so I could add the cap pieces and continue up with the land-forming ... viola! Well, it took another month to find the time to finally try it, and as mentioned previously, I almost screwed things up royally by not re-reading the instructions, plus trying to work in too-warm of a temperature! One change I did make, though, was in painting the 'liners ... I did use the flat black for the tops, but I thought I'd try some "Hammertone Grey" for the sides to see if I couldn't get some of that "varigated" coloring on the sides of the tunnels ... that seems to have worked, but I won't know for sure until I clean all the 'jelly off and let 'em dry.

Here are some pics of that process:

In this pic, you can see the results of two different methods of spreading the resin and foam ... the top form was done using bits of cardboard to do the spreading, the bottom form was done with disposable 2" brushes. I much prefer the results of using the brushes ...

Here I've shaved down the foam on the sides to where it is just a thin layer on top of the resin coat ... a tight fit in its respective placement, but that's what I wanted.

Here's the 'liner pulled from the form, with the foil still attached.

Here's the 'liner with the foil peeled off ... you can just make out the black on the ceiling and the grey on the walls.

And finally, here's a pic of the 'liner test-fit and mocked into place.

All in all, I'm really pleased with the way things worked out ... except for how long it took to finally get here! Next is to do some final trimming of the 'liners, glue them into place, pour some more foam (after the glue is good & set!), then (and there'll be a BIG sigh of relief when I can do this) get back to building up that mountain!

Hope I haven't bored you too much ... ... but if yo've a mind to, please stick around for further updates ... I have the feeling that you are going to see much more progress, and in a more timely manner ... ...! As always, questions, comments, and constructive critiques are always welcome! 'Til next time, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  02:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good deal Grant! Glad to see the tunnel liners working out for you. Now its on-ward and up-ward with the mountain.
Take care,
Randy

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  09:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,

Not boring at all, it's always see different ways to skin the cat. Looks great from this end

John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  09:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant, your boring wasn't boring at all.

Pretty ingenious I'd say.
Thanks for documenting your process for us and keep us posted on future progress.

As you think, so will you be.

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  8:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grant -

Thanks for sharing. Interesting approach. Have you doubled checked clearances? I'd hate to hear that cars or loco pilots/cabs or whatever snag on that liner after it's in permanently.

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  12:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, what's the saying ... you can't make an omlet without breaking some eggs ...? Well, I didn't exactly break anything (though I probably wished I could have to take out my frustrations ... ...), but things didn't go as well as they should have this past weekend ... ...

After trimming and fitting the 'liners (and making sure there would be adequate clearances, than you very much, John R.), I ran a couple of beads of liquid nail along the bottoms and about 2/3 the way up the walls of each 'liner and placed them into their respective locations ...

This is a simple clearance gauge I made from a couple pieces of cardboard (album-cover like material) traced & cut out to the NMRA On30 gauge.

Here's the gauge, checking tunnel clearances.

Left(top) image is the right opening of the left tunnel, right(bottom) image is the right opening of the right tunnel ... notice the difference in "wedging" the walls ... one wall of the right tunnel had a slight bulge that needed flattening out, hence the additional temporary "cripples". Now, you might want to remember these two photos for later ... ...

I let the 'liners sit for about 18 hours, then came back and mixed up some more of Bragdon's foam and poured it into the gaps between the 'liners and the original tunnel walls, wanting nice solid, well-supported linings. Within minutes, I realized I had a serious problem with the right tunnel ...

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000