Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: The grandson layout
Page: of 8

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  11:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments and tips, Pete!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  5:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very smooth operating turnouts, Bruce.

New subject: What are you using for the table top? It seems to be fairly quiet.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  6:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Very smooth operating turnouts, Bruce.

New subject: What are you using for the table top? It seems to be fairly quiet.

George

Thanks, George. That is 3/8" plywood with cork squares glued on top. It is the cork that quiets things down (and makes it easier to seat the Micro Engineering Micro Spikes ).

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  6:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, let me thank you for the information/idea of just creating a small " shelf" to display the various track components. I'm sure that the judging of the track work will earn that merit sticker.

I've got to admit that I never "got it" until I saw what you had created, even though it is described in the civil AP page on the NMRA website. Simply one of those 'duhh' moments. The only track work examples I've seen were included in the layouts. Thanks for clearing my foggy mind. Looking forward to seeing your name in the NMRA Magazine for a new AP certificate soon.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2015 :  12:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The SOQ for Civil requires 'one scale drawing' showing elevations, radii, turnout sizes etc. My originals are on 27x32" paper. My scanner is 9x12" and I'll have to fold the blazes out of the big sheets to get complete coverage. My redrawing in XTrkCAD shows the turnout sizes by default. But it only shows radii and elevations when you request them from a running copy of the program.

There are good reasons why the NMRA should not marry itself to one or even several track planning CAD programs. But I find it ironic that I'm considering tradeoffs between adding the "circles & arrows and captions on the back" with GIMP vs. with a pencil on a printout vs. modifying XTrkCAD so it prints what's necessary.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  4:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted pictures of a detailed HO scale turnout in pages 1 & 2 of this thread. It was given 116 points by my Civil evaluators this afternoon. I showed my XTrkCAD track plan to the evaluators on my computer monitor. I will post details of how I submitted it to the Region AP Chair once that's actually approved.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  5:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

No certificate with 116 points attached to it is likely to be disapproved! That's huge! Congratulations!

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  6:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, James!

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  6:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, James.

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  08:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. I just got word that the XTrkCAD screenshots I submitted with my Civil application are OK, at least in the NER:

XTrkCAD starts to displays elevations and turnout details when the zoom reaches '8:1'. It also shows dots at each
curve center, but without any labeling. But selecting the curved track segment will change the color of the dot as well.

I created a new 'Curve Data' layer, colored orange here. Then I selected major curve segments one by one and added text '+ NN' to
show the center and radius as displayed at the bottom of the screen. A text size of '56' was large enough to read at this zoom. One could
add arrows indicating the related curve segment, but that's more than the AP requires.

I turned off layers I didn't need, like 'Power/Control' and 'Blocks'. Then I made a set of overlapping screenshots showing the whole
layout as JPEGs. I added one screenshot zoomed out to show the whole layout and the XTrkCAD 'Profile' window. They came out between 166KB
and 270KB. I submitted them via email.

Edited by - jbvb on 07/27/2015 08:40:02 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  9:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some track detailing photos taken at the summit of Crawford Notch (NH) on the former Maine Central's Mountain Division:

A small tieplate on 80 lb. rail, probably from well before WWII.

A compromise rail joint (gauge side) between 85 lb. and 80 lb. rail.

The non-gauge (field?) side of an old-style 3-piece joint bar in 85 lb. rail. Note how much it projects away from the rail. I don't know the rationale for the wood block inside it, but they were common on B&M sidings & spurs which had last received heavy maintenance before WWII.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  09:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am working on my Civil certificate, as well. I have built three turnouts, one to use as a standalone and the other two as a crossover. But, the third piece of track is something unique, a scale track. Last night, I built the "bones" for the scale track:

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  09:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Chuck!

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  09:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me, Chuck!

Pete
in Michigan

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  5:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The scale track is done, except for the ballasting. It may be a few weeks before I get to that. The scale is only 40 feet long, but that is OK since I am weighing twin bay hoppers at my anthracite mine. I have to say this was a fun project. I also have a couple turnouts installed. But, I need to build a diorama for the crossover since I really don't have a place for it, yet.

Chuck

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: The grandson layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000