Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 60 ]  [ Total: 64 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: Erie & Pittsburgh Line Construction (n scale)
Page: of 9

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  10:06:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here is this week's work. Taken together, they will help me finish up my Civil Engineering Certificate.

I made three standard gauge HO turnouts.

Then I made a regular HOn3 turnout and a gauge separation turnout.

Next up will be cutting the gaps to isolate the frogs and then get them on their wooden ties.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  11:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Bruce. Are you going to use them on your layout?

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  11:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Nice work, Bruce. Are you going to use them on your layout?

George

Eventually, George, but I don't have the benchwork set up for that section yet, so I will put them on a piece of plywood for this evaluation.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  11:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still working on mounting the turnouts onto a test board. I couldn't wait to see how a wheel set would run thru two of my hand laid turnouts connected to each other. Also, here is my first attempt at uploading a video to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQukc81zIcQ

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  10:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice smooth working turnouts, Bruce. How did you color the copper ties?

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  10:52:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, they are still unpainted. I will brush paint them with a brown as close to the color of the wood ties as I can mix it. Once insalled on the layout, I weather the rail and ties with a mix of Railroad Tie Brown and a bit of Rust. That, plus the ballast should help everything blend together.

Bruce

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  1:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitlerisvj

Hi all,
Just an FYI that some of the Civil Engineering requirements have been modified, but have not yet been publicized. As an AP Chair for our division, I was a bit surprised when one of my members asked about this. According to the AP Forms, the scratch built track components were to be judged as if they were structures, cars, or motive power. That is; the same categories, Construction, Detail, Finish and Lettering, Conformity, and Scratch built. Well, this is no longer required to make 88 points. The new requirement to get 88 points are as follows:
According to an email from Frank Koch, all that is needed is:
1. Track is built to and measured by the appropriate NMRAgauge.
2. Points and frogs built by the member.
3. Self-powered locomotive successfully traverses all possible routes.

However, Frank went on to say that if you wish to go for more than the minimum 88 points, go for the other areas and get full judging. Most folks going for MMR would likely not pursue the other areas, but if one was entering these track components in a contest, then yes, you would want as many points as you can get.
Regards, Vic B.

So what's the straight scoop on this? Reason I ask is we're getting ready to evaluate a member for some AP certificates - including Civil. If we can save a bunch of time by merely confirming that he built the appropriate parts, the resulting turnout meets specs, and demonstrates it works, that would be great.
A few weeks ago we evaluated another fellow using the juding forms .... things like "Finish and Lettering" and some of the other judging categories can get a bit um "cumbersome" when it comes to trackwork!

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  1:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce those turnouts came out first rate. Great job.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  1:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVSNE

[quote]Originally posted by bitlerisvj

So what's the straight scoop on this?

Marty,

Vic sent me the chain of e-mails that he referenced in this thread. I verified that Frank's came from his e-mail address.

The bottom line is we can use the following until such time as Frank updates the website instructions and forms.

The new requirement to get 88 points are as follows:
However, Frank went on to say that if you wish to go for more than the minimum 88 points, go for the other areas and get full judging.

Having said that, with no new form available, I assume we still have to use the old form to the the person his/her Merit Award for the three scratch built track items.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  1:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Bruce those turnouts came out first rate. Great job.

Thanks, Jerry.

Bruce

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  2:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

quote:
Originally posted by CVSNE

[quote]Originally posted by bitlerisvj

So what's the straight scoop on this?

Marty,

Vic sent me the chain of e-mails that he referenced in this thread. I verified that Frank's came from his e-mail address.

The bottom line is we can use the following until such time as Frank updates the website instructions and forms.

The new requirement to get 88 points are as follows:
However, Frank went on to say that if you wish to go for more than the minimum 88 points, go for the other areas and get full judging.

Having said that, with no new form available, I assume we still have to use the old form to the the person his/her Merit Award for the three scratch built track items.

thanks Bruce.
I need to let our Division AP chair know -

Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  3:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the change is reasonable, but I think the NMRA AP group could be managing it better. All they really need to do is circulate a letter/memo stating the change and the effective date. But right now I see Region AP people who haven't heard disagreeing with Division people who got the info via side channels.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  7:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I was in communication with Frank Koch today and all RegIon AP Chairs should now have heard from him. hopefully they will send it on to the Division AP Chairs. He will also do a column on this in the next eBulletin.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  11:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, the hand laid turnouts are now mounted and operational. I made a small video showing the setup. I did not ballast the turnouts on the demo shelf since I will be removing the turnouts to mount on the layout when I get to the area where they will go, and I did not want to make their removal harder with ballast.

In the video I show two engines at work. I bought both from Al Carter (Tabooma County Rwy) here on the Forum. The little Davenport came painted, but Bruce (SteamNut) painted the little GE unit for me.

Sorry for the audible sniffles that you hear in the video. My DIL was nice enough to share her cold with me, and even after three different video shoots, I found that I can't get thru 3 minutes without a good sniffle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aigsH2PONI

Enjoy!

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  11:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Nicely done! I particularly like the absence of clicks, bonks, bumbles and so on as the locomotives traverse the frogs. This is Good Track. You might consider asking the Evaluators to have one of them close his/her eyes and just listen while the operation is demonstrated just to make that point. This is Good Track....

That said, I'll recommend another pass with the NMRA gauge through everything to ensure that it all meets the standards-- you're not ballasting, etc. and you don't want to give away additional points.

It might be worth an additional check to ensure that you have no errant solder blobs-- same reasoning as above.

Please let us know when the evaluations are complete!

Congratulations!

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: Erie & Pittsburgh Line Construction (n scale)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000