Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: Logo Design Services
Page: of 9

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  10:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

If you go back to the early pages of this thread, you will get some links to car picture/plan sources.

You will also find pictures of all my cars starting on page 4 of this thread.

Really none of my cars were intended to represent a particular car modeled to exactness. In fact, in all my documentation, I begin by stating "This model was inspired by the following Photo" That sets the tone for the evaluators not to expect that the model is intended as an exact copy of the original. I do included photos to illustrate that my construction technique is prototypical, by showing actual cars built that way. See page 6 of this thread and my several posts on 3/21/2012 to see what this means in practice.

Joe, I've sent you a PM. Please check it out.

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  09:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen references to "Scratch building evaluation score" such as the following from the NMRA web site " The third element is the evaluation score for scratchbuilding which is a reflection of the quality/complexity/quantity of scratchbuilt parts (see matrix)". However I cannot find any pass / fail criteria such as the 87.5 score for Merit award judging. Also I didn't find the referenced matrix. Is there a passing threshold for the scratch building evaluation score, or how should I interpret the above quote from the NMRA web site?

thanks
Joe in Orlando

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  10:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Check this out:

https://nmra.org/sites/default/files/2006-judging-guide-lines_0.pdf

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  3:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe,
There are 5 items evaluated for the 87 1/2 (88) points. These are Construction, max of 40 points, Detail, max of 20 points, Conformity, max of 25 points,Finish & Lettering, max of 25 points, and Scratchbuilt, max of 15 points. If you add up all of these numbers they come up to a max of 125 points, so 87 1/2 points is not a bad bogey to go for. So, you can see that you do not need max of points to get the Merit award of 87 1/2 points. If you look at the Matrix pointed out in the previous post, you can see that the points are doled out in a combination of Complexity (how complex is the model) and how good a job was done in building it.
Just an FYI, that a lot of people seem to ignore CONFORMITY. That is a pretty easy bunch of points to lose out on. Some folks do not provide ANY documentation and suffer the lose of a Merit award of a very good model when they don't provide the first picture or drawing of a prototype to show that the model conforms to a prototype. You definitely do want to remember to attach a photo or drawing of a prototype that proves your model.
Regards, Vic B.

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  3:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Again Joe, I re-read your post and decided to also address the Scratchbuilt area for you. There really is no pass/fail for any of the areas, you can get zero for Scratchbuilt, but still get 87 1/2 points from the other areas. Keep in mind the Scratchbuild area is only 15 points, so I would not sweat it too much. But, yes, you do want to scratch build as much as you can. Also. be aware there is a limit of 10 points depending on what you did not scratch build. These items are listed in the Judging Guidelines for cars and structures. So you want to be aware of these items. Still it is better to purchase some items rather than scratchbuilding poor ones.
Regards, Vic B.

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  11:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and Vic for your detailed replies.

I sorta think I'm not expressing the quandary I have very well. I understand where/how the Scratch building matrix fits into the Merit Award scoring. But for the 4 cars that are not Merit Award judged, i.e. those which must be scratch built with >90% of the parts scratch built, what is the pass/fail criteria for the judges accepting each of these cars?

Thanks
Joe in Orlando

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  11:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reporting mark change
I presently do not have any flat cars on my small layout. Also I am seriously considering using John Porter's detailed article in Model Railroader Oct 1977 ("Build a Pennsy flatcar from Scratch") to build one of my 8 cars. The photo of the flat car in his article shows the word "Pennsylvania" spaced out between 4 stake pockets on the side sill. How risky scoring wise would it be for me to replace "Pennsylvania" with "Susquehanna Valley Line" of "SVL" while keeping all the other car detail the same?

Joe in Orlando

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  2:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-SVL

Reporting mark change
I presently do not have any flat cars on my small layout. Also I am seriously considering using John Porter's detailed article in Model Railroader Oct 1977 ("Build a Pennsy flatcar from Scratch") to build one of my 8 cars. The photo of the flat car in his article shows the word "Pennsylvania" spaced out between 4 stake pockets on the side sill. How risky scoring wise would it be for me to replace "Pennsylvania" with "Susquehanna Valley Line" of "SVL" while keeping all the other car detail the same?

Joe in Orlando

That should only slightly knock down your conformity score. Given that if the rest of your scores are adequate, you should be ok.

As a compulsive free-lancer, I routinely just accepted that as being a a category where my scoring would be low and concentrated on getting all the categories as high as possible.

I’d say that your chances are as thin as a homeopathic soup made
from the shadow of a pigeon that died of starvation…

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  4:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

As long as your model follows a prototype closely or adheres to standard practice the fact that you letter it for a freelance line should make very little difference in score.

Only four cars need to be judged. The others merely require a qualified witness to sign a statement that they are scratchbuilt, modified kits, or craftsman kits, i. e. super detailed. The NMRA regs define super detailed and who qualifies as witness. You might find talking to your division or region AP chair helpful.

When I started on the AP program not every model I did was given a merit award by judges, but these became my “other” models.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  5:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
When I started on the AP program not every model I did was given a merit award by judges, but these became my “other” models.

Good practice here as well since that provides evidence of their being "witnessed". I entered a few of my structures in contests for judging not really worrying about their getting a Merit award as much as their being seen and then having paperwork and scores that they existed as part of my 12.

I’d say that your chances are as thin as a homeopathic soup made
from the shadow of a pigeon that died of starvation…

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: Logo Design Services  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000