Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Medford Refrigerator Despatch - Mystery Sides! Topic Next Topic: Logo Design Services
Page: of 9

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  7:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nicely done caboose there with a well detailed interior - you should do ok for getting a Merit award for it.

Only caveat that I can make is to be sure that that removeable roof section fits down nice and perfect when it's replaced after the judges look inside.

Let us all know how you score now!

I’d say that your chances are as thin as a homeopathic soup made
from the shadow of a pigeon that died of starvation…

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  08:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Joe. As Martin said, please let us know how you do.

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  1:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will let you know. I am working on two other cars right now, a Westside flat car, which might become a water car, and a Westside log car. I will need to scratch build four cars for the NMRA MB Cars AP. I already have other cars that are super detailed and one of them is a pullman passenger car. I don't know whether the caboose is contest quality or not, but hope to enter it in the Lonestar Region next summer.

Joe

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  7:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At the NMRA Garden State Division meet in Rocky Hill, NJ, Bruce (Dutchman) entered these models to be judged for merit awards.

Chuck

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  9:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce is probably basking in glory somewhere, so I'll note that the gon earned (operative word) him 105 points out of a possible 125. This is an excellent score, and from where I sit looking at the pictures, it looks to me like he earned every one of the 105!

Congratulations, Bruce! Nice job!

Pete
in Michigan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  10:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck & Pete.

Although the NER Boxcar didn't make the merit cut-off, I can use it as one of my 8. The same goes for the car below. So, three down and 5 to go. I need three more scratchbuilds, three more merits, and a passenger car in there someplace.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  10:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those in the program, here is the breakdown of the scores on that gondola.

Construction 34 out of 40
Detail 16 out of 20
Conformity 23 out of 25
Finish and Lettering 18 out of 25
Scratch Built 14 out of 15

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  10:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like all you guys have the right idea on what to start, I got my certificate for cars 20 years ago and picked the passenger car first because once I got that one done the rest were a lot easer. Really in the end the paper work was harder then the builds. Just have fun and good luck I'm working on buildings now, again more paper work. Tom

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  09:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both cars were well done, Congrats on the award for the gondola very nice model,,,

Cheers!, Joe

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  12:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking gondola - bet we're missing some of the details on it here! Once upon a time I built one not too far removed from it, loaned it to a friend, and never saw it again... Oh well, it was just a pile of sticks and I can biuld another.

So, what's the story on the NER boxcar?? Is that a Main Line or Huff'n'Puff kit? I have an MER one on the shelf in O scale that I picked up a few years ago and I've been wondering what their origins were...who, what, and why?

Luckily, the pass car only has to "be" and be adequately detailed.....

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  1:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good eye, Martin. The NER boxcar is a Main Line kit.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  10:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Good eye, Martin. The NER boxcar is a Main Line kit.

Ok, so do you know what the story is behind these cars? There's an NER one and I have an MER one.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  5:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have made more progress on the Cars Certificate. Besides the HOn3 Gondola shown above, both my HOn3 "Provisions Car" and my HOn3 caboose have won Merit Awards. All three of those cars were scratch built.

So that makes three (of the needed 4) cars to earn Merit Awards. With the boxcar and flat car with wood load shown above, that makes five total cars towards the 8 I need. I already have the 'four different' car types, too.

So, I need to make three more cars. Of those, one must be scratch built, one must be a passenger car (or Drover Caboose, etc.), and one of the three must earn a Merit Award.

I had originally thought that I would finish this certificate in 2011, but now it looks like it will go into the first part of 2012.

If anyone wants to see the builds on those three scratch built cars, start looking on Page 15 of this thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24897&whichpage=15

Also, if anyone wants a sample copy of the documentation on the cars that I had considered for Merit Awards, send me a PM with your home e-mail in it.

Anyone else working on the Cars Certificate?

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  12:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce
I have been working on my Cars AP for some time now and I just about ready to get everything judged. I already have 7 certificates and the Cars AP will give me my MMR.

Super detail car #1

I am not able for some reason to get the picture to show, but it is a Precision Scale 40 foot refer #169.

Super detail car #2 is just like it but numbered #168

Super detail car #3 This cars is a scratch built car except that I didn't make the master. I made a mold off an old brass car for the master.

Super detail car #4

Scratch car #1

Scratch car #2 HOn3

Scratch car #3 On30 In this months NMRA Magazine

Scratch car #4 On30

I will be getting these judged next month I hope, and I will report back on how I did.
Joe Batson

Joe Batson MMR#475

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  12:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well as you can see some of the pictures did not post.
Joe Batson

Joe Batson MMR#475

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Medford Refrigerator Despatch - Mystery Sides! Topic Next Topic: Logo Design Services  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000