Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Medford Refrigerator Despatch - Mystery Sides! Topic Next Topic: Logo Design Services
Page: of 9

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  09:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce and Dave!!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  10:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As has been mentioned, and can be seen in Vic's pictures on Page 1 of this thread, brake detail is required if you want any hope of having your car reach the Merit Level.

For some reason, I have had trouble visualizing how to add the brake detail. Maybe it is diagrams such as this that has me waking up at night with 'brake diagram nightmares'.

http://pic.srv5.wapedia.mobi/thumb/a02b14308/en/max/720/900/Westinghouse_Air_Brake_piping_diagram.jpg?format=jpg,png,gif

Forum member Russ (Slimrails) has been patient with his explanations he sends me, and I have looked over the various articles in the magazines. The series by Ted Culotta in RMC has also been very helpful.

For those who share my affliction, here is a great link that I believe Russ sent my way.

http://www.steamfreightcars.com/modeling/articles/brakes.pdf

Here are two other useful links that I have stumbled upon.

This shows a simplified diagram for the KC type brake system.

http://www.tpub.com/content/armytransportation/TM-55-203/TM-55-2030101.htm

This is a link to an actual "Student Workbook" put out by Wabtec, the successor to the Westinghouse Brake Co. There are some nice prototype photos included with the diagrams.

http://techinfo.wabtec.com/DataFiles/Leaflets/TP-2008.pdf

I hope that this proves helpful to all who are working on underframe detailing.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  10:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other useful link that I have found for those scratchbuilding or detailing rolling stock is this Army reference manual: Maintenance of Railway Cars. Enjoy.

http://www.tpub.com/content/armytransportation/TM-55-203/

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  1:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, awesome links!! Provides a ton of information.

Thanks for sharing!!

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  6:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the links, no matter what I am questioning myself on...when I go to the forum I get the answers I need.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  09:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have started plugging away on this certificate.

When working with structures, I found that having first built some craftsman kits really allowed me to learn construction techniques that proved invaluable when I entered the world of scratchbuilding. Since I had no experience scratchbuilding rolling stock, I decided to approach it the same way – I started by building two craftsman kits. The first was an HO boxcar kit made by Main Line Models, and the second was an HOn3 flatcar kit by Evergreen Hill Designs.

The Main Line Models kit came from an era where staples were provided for grabs and steps. I got rid of those, and used more modern detail items. I made my own jig to drill the holes for the grabs, and did a full brake system from Tichy. Other detail items I added were grabs from Tichy, steps from A-Line, trucks from Proto 2000, door hangers from SS Ltd, chain from A-Line, turnbuckles from Grandt-Line, coupler lift bars from Detail Associates, and Kadee couplers.

The EHD flat car had a laser cut under frame. The decking is done board by board. The trucks are from Rio Grande Models, the wheels are NWSL, and the couplers are Kadee. I did a full brake system from Grandt-Line. Once the basic flat car was done, I added scratchbuilt end racks and made a load of ‘chemical wood’.

I treated both of these builds as learning experiences and will not have them evaluated. I could use them as two of the four pieces of rolling stock that do not have to be evaluated – just written up and described in detail. These also represent two different types of cars – you are required to build at least four different types. I plan on building a gondola, and must build a passenger car of some type. That would give me the four different types, although I will probably have other types included in my final eight pieces of rolling stock.

I will now begin scratchbuilding additional pieces of rolling stock. Most will be HOn3.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  2:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to suggest that you have them evaluated anyway.

When I was assembling my packet for Structures where you also can have items that are not judged, I found it to be useful to have the documentation of these other items in hand whether they got merit awards of not. Some had, and some had just missed, but they were verified as existing by virtue of having been judged at some point...

And, you just might learn something, too....

I’d say that your chances are as thin as a homeopathic soup made
from the shadow of a pigeon that died of starvation…

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  11:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, they both look great!!

Looking forward to your additional cars.

jim Kellow MMR
New Hire

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  08:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vic, great looking cars. Getting this AP certificate should not be a problem for you. Really nice work.

Jim KEllow MMR

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  10:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some diagrams and pics to help.

These are pics I have collected to help me when I tackle the Cars Certificate.

Also have two scanned pics from RMC Oct 2006 and July 2007 but not sure about posting.

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  4:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,
Just catching up on these Achievement threads. Some good info and nice scratch built cars! I think I'll have to delay some of the awards while I concentrate on the layout specific awards. I am looking forward to getting started but that's true with a lot of things in my life!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  2:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Fellow Railroaders
This is the first car I have scratch built for the NMRA MB Cars certificate. I just finished it and it has not been judged yet. I have finished 5 of the certificates and this will be the sixth. Most of my modeling has been in HO at our club, the Texas Western Model Railroad club. I decided to go back to O scale as I remember it was a lot of fun building cars and structures in this scale. I'm starting to model the Westside Lumber Co. in ON30, and this is the first car modeled, caboose #1. The Westside removed the brake cylinder when they bought it from the Swyane Lumber Co. around 1940. Westside had both automatic and air brakes on their cars.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

Edited by - JoebTX on 11/26/2010 2:56:16 PM

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  2:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry. my pictures didn't post. Is there a how-to on posting pictures.
Joe Batson

Joe Batson MMR#475

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  2:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's try it again.

Joe Batson MMR#475

Edited by - JoebTX on 11/26/2010 2:41:54 PM

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  2:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some more pictures:

Joe Batson MMR#475

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Medford Refrigerator Despatch - Mystery Sides! Topic Next Topic: Logo Design Services  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000