Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: Logo Design Services
Page: of 9

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  2:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are fine looking cars, Vic. It looks like you’re well on your way to your certificate.

George

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  2:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Vic. Both are great looking cars. What is the history on the prototype ventilated car?

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  3:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work on the cars, Vic. Is the ventilated car wood or styrene?

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  3:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chuck,
This type of ACL Ventilated car does have an interesting history. These cars were developed primarily for transporting watermelons and other perishables that did not need refrigeration. In the off season, the closed up doors could be used to transport clean dry good so they did double duty. I believe these forms of ventilated boxcars were developed by the Atlantic Coast Line railroad with ties to teh Pennsy. They were in service from the 1930's right up to the 1960's. I understand there are a few of them around still.
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Wow, Vic. Both are great looking cars. What is the history on the prototype ventilated car?

Chuck

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  3:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce, I used scribed basswood as well as other Northeastern lumber for most of the car. However, I did use styrene for the frame ends as that worked out better than any other material. It is funny that you ask, because quite frankly, after I completed the car, I was thinking this might be a pretty good build in styrene. I could actually have made the door hardware a bit more prototypical in styrene also. I do plan on doing one or more of my future projects in styrene and see how that goes. I may make stock car and wood caboose in styrene as that may prove to be a stronger material.
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Very nice work on the cars, Vic. Is the ventilated car wood or styrene?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  6:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vic,

I was just looking at my copy of the Winter 2009 Modelers' Annual, and there is an article by Robert Grzywacz on building the ACL ventilated boxcar. His was 'adapted' to 3' gauge, but it is a nice construction article including detailed drawings that would be helpful to anyone trying to scratchbuild this car.

That issue also contained a construction article on building an O-Scale boxcar out of cardstock. That is another great article for someone venturing down this path.

Finally, between the time you posted your picture yesterday afternoon and now, I saw a picture of an ACL ventilated boxcar in another magazine that I had been reading. I was going to mention where it was, but I can't find it in any magazine now. Bonnie finds that quite amusing.

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  12:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bruce et al:

I am in the process of starting my NMRA APs and the "Cars certificate" is one of the first ones I am attempting.

What I would like to build is a fleet of various narrow gauge cars such as something from RGS or Denver & Rio Grande.

Here is an example of what I am referring to: http://www.ghostdepot.com/rg/rolling%20stock/freight/freight.htm

According to the NMRA website, "at least four of the eight models must be scratch built".

With that being said, I am not having much luck finding blueprints/plans in my searches online. Does anyone have a source of where can I find blueprints/plans for such cars?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  4:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louie,

Plans can be found in many old issues of the Gazette. I will look through a few and make a list from my somewhat limited collection. There are guys here on the forum who have the complete collection of Gazette Issues.

The other great sources is the Carstens book "Slim Gauge Cars", edited by Hal Carstens, 1991. ISBN No. 911868-72-0

That book is out of print, and can be pricey on the used book market. However, you might be able to get it through the inter-library loan setup at your local public library. They can check availability through the ISBN number above.

It has plans for narrow gauge boxcars, gondolas, flat cars, stock cars, passenger cars, water cars, etc.

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  4:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The other great sources is the Carstens book "Slim Gauge Cars", edited by Hal Carstens, 1991. ISBN No. 911868-72-0

Thanks Bruce!!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  7:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louie,

BTW, what scale will you be working in?

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  8:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW, what scale will you be working in?

The motive power (Backwoods Miniatures kits) are On30. When it comes to the rolling stock/cars, either O (On30) or HO (HOn3).

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  8:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louie,

I thought I would scratchbuild in HOn3, too. I bought the Evergreen Hill Designs Carter Brothers 28' flat car kit. I though I would build it first, and make a few 'copies' of the framing while I was at it. I could then build low side gons, water cars, and even 'picnic' cars on those frames.

locolouie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  10:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I though I would build it first, and make a few 'copies' of the framing while I was at it.

Funny you should mention that...

I have a bunch of Durango Press and Grandt Line HOn3 kits and thought about making wood versions of the plastic kits to satisfy the 'scratchbuild' portion of the AP.

I also thought about scaling up the HOn3 parts to On30 to run behind the Backwoods Miniatures locos...

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  09:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louie,

You might get some ideas an plans for scratchbuilding rolling stock at these links:

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=109.0

http://members.fortunecity.com/gknowles/rr_models/wslc/wslc.htm

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  10:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lougomes

With that being said, I am not having much luck finding blueprints/plans in my searches online. Does anyone have a source of where can I find blueprints/plans for such cars?

Don't forget about the Car Builder's Cyclopedias.
Google books has two editions in PDF for free.
http://books.google.com/books?id=0UJttWHSwNYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=car builders cyclopedia
and
http://books.google.com/books?id=S5g_AAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=car builders cyclopedia#PPP2,M1
and I found this link also:
http://www.virtualrailroader.com/volume_1/carbuilders.html or
http://www.raildriver.com/products/cyclopedias.php which includes free software for printing to your scale.

These may not be the exact type or year you are interested in but are a valuable resource.
Google books also has numerous other cyclopedias.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Edited by - mabloodhound on 02/21/2009 10:27:46 AM

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: Logo Design Services  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000