Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 194 ]  [ Total: 197 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko
Page: of 19

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  1:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,
After way to many minutes looking at the drawings in TS #17 and studying photos on-line I've decided that the end boards on my car will not extend out to the outer sides of the end boards. The drawings in TS #17 have a tremendous amount of data in them which at times makes it kinda hard to find the detail that I am looking for at the moment. BUT I am still super glad that Jim B gave me the reference to TS #17.

Joe in Orlando

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  5:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ladders,
I'm on my 3-rd scratch built car, a stock car, and as strange as it may seem I finally have a need for ladders. My flat car and Drovers caboose did not have external ladders. BurleyJim months ago pointed me to Transhed Cyclopedia #17 which had a great dimensioned drawing of a PRR stock car. I will be including this 2 page drawing in my documentation package which means my judges will have a great reference frame to evaluate my ladders (construction and detail categories). From the TS#17 drawings the ladder rungs are stated to be 15.75" apart and the width as I measured it with my dial caliper appears to be about 18.3". I can see several options for ladders and would appreciate some guidance.
Option 1. Use "Best fit" ladders from Tichy or other like vendors
Option 2. Use 0.020" wire and build my own
Option 3. Use Northeastern Scale lumber pieces and build my own
Option 4. Use Evergreen styrene rods and build my own
Option 5. A combination of options 3 and 4

thanks
Joe in Orlando

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  6:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, the Tichy ladders will be less of a headache. .020 wire still works out to 1-3/4" rod or pipe. You would need the hands of an ape to climb the ladders. .015 would look closer, but a lot of work for a brass ladder that you still have to prep, and paint. I'd go with the Tichy ladders, and be done.

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  6:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Photos Iíve seen of Mather stock car models make me think the Tichy ladders wonít work. Nor will any commercial parts Iíve seen. I think you need to use individual grab irons.

Mike

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  2:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm making progress on my PRR 128079 stock car. My question for today is what type of roof - metal, wood, or tar paper would have been on this car which was built in 1940

thanks
Joe in Orlando

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  2:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not a PRR historian, but I would be extremely surprised if they used anything but a commercial stamped steel pattern roof in 1940.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  7:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-SVL

I'm making progress on my PRR 128079 stock car. My question for today is what type of roof - metal, wood, or tar paper would have been on this car which was built in 1940

thanks
Joe in Orlando

What's the car class for that stock car?

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  11:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to my 1953 ORER the AAR class designation for my PRR 128079 stock car is "80".

Joe in Orlando

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  1:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-SVL

According to my 1953 ORER the AAR class designation for my PRR 128079 stock car is "80".

Joe in Orlando

I was hoping for the PRR class number; those begin with K and have either a number or letter after the K.

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000