Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 200 ]  [ Total: 201 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Out of the salvage yard.....
Page: of 19

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2020 :  9:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had a tiring day. I completely misunderstood your options. That was on me. I reread them and I agree with Michael. Option 1 is the way to go.

I also just checked a book I have called the Best of Mainline Modeler's Freight Cars, Book 2. There are S scale plans of a Mather stock car inside the book. PM me your email address. I will scan the drawing and send it to you.

Chuck

Edited by - wvrr on 10/03/2020 9:31:14 PM

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2020 :  10:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I built the Taurus Products OSL Stock Car, it was going to be very light so what I did was to make up some rectangular shapes from lead and painted them a straw color and while the paint was wet, I snipped some Woodland Scenics Field Grass and these became hay bundles ready for the cattle. These were good enough to make up the needed weight.
Regards, Vic B.
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Joe,

I hate to see the conflict between needing it to be evaluated for merit and needing for it to run reliably. The idler car I built earlier this year has no weight in it. I plan to disguise weights on its deck when it is in operation. The other thing I could to the idler car do is glue weight to the underside after it is evaluated. But, after spending all that time detailing the underside, I really don't want to do that.

Is there any way that you can build the car so the roof or body can be removed to add the weight inside, after it is evaluated?

Chuck

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  09:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm still floundering on getting a good base to draw plans for a (Mather) Stock Car. I'm trying to get a good and consistent set of detailed measurements such as the width of the boards on the side of the car, and the widths of the various gaps between the boards on the side of the car. etc. etc. I've spent way to many hours with my dial caliper making measurements from photos of several prototype stock cars. I've also used enlarged photos, perspective corrected photos and I'm not coming up with anything that I like which makes me suspicious that my approach is not correct.

I'd be very interested in hearing from those on the list whom have built a stock car how they approached the initial effort to get a good and consistent set of detailed measurements with which to draw detailed plans to assist in the construction of their stock car and for their documentation package.

thanks
Joe in Orlando

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  09:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trainshed Cyclopedia #17 is what I used.

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  10:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Have you decided not to follow up on Chuckís offer to send you plans? I would definite use existing plans if given that option. Granted, you get additional points for drawing your own but Iím not sure the difference offsets the work.

Iíve not drawn plans for a stock car but I have for other projects. You can measure the total height of the side, measure individual boards and spaces between boards, add them up, and adjust measurements until they add up to the total height. There should be a limited variation in widths so you can adjust several widths at a time.

Remember that in the end you donít have an infinite variety of scale lumber widths and thicknesses so some compromise will probably be necessary unless you mill your own.

Are you drawing plans on a computer or by hand?

Mike

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  11:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Chuck very kindly did send me a drawing for a stock car. It only had dimensions for length, width, height above rail and wheel axle spacing. Nothing on board width, gap width etc. For some reason all dimensions, except the wheel axle spacing dimension, did not match the dimensions I made on the drawing with my metal multi-scale ruler. I do appreciate Chuck;s help

I use Cadrail for all my CAD work.

Joe in Orlando

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  11:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe, will Cadrail allow you to import an image? Iím thinking if you took a straight-on photo of the side and imported it into Cadrail and scaled it you could then draw over that. You could draw standard-sized boards and see which match the best in size and spacing when overlaid on the image.

Mike

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  2:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, Cadrail does have an Import capability but only for files with a DXF extension. I could search around for an application that would take a jpg file and convert it to a DXF file. Thanks for the creative idea.

Joe in Orlando

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  2:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's disappointing the drawing isn't helping as much as you hoped, Joe.

Michael has a good suggestion. I use 3rdPlanIt for my drawings. And, I can import images into it. But, it doesn't work the way I would like to get a properly scaled drawing. Maybe CadRail works better in this way.

Like you, I also started with a scale drawing. But, since I could not import it the way I wanted, I used the dimensions that were given and then supplemented it using calipers to determine the closest styrene materials I could use in size and then converted the styrene dimension to scale dimensions using Excel. Excel allowed me to keep a record of what material to use and the dimensions for each part.

Here is a portion of my spreadsheet for the LV Wrong Way Boxcar. Anything in yellow is a field I enter the number with. If there is no color or it is green, it is calculated.

Lines 2,3, and 4 are for entering dimensions 1 of 3 ways. Either I can either enter the number I have from my caliper on line 2 or the scale dimension in one of two ways on lines 3 or 4.

I copy those lines down onto other lines and label them as to what the dimension is from. I also listed the most common styrene dimensions to convert them to scale dimensions in lines 6 through 20.

Then, I build up my drawing in 3rdPlanIt. This is also the LV Wrong Way Boxcar. The lines are much finer in 3PI and when I print. Creating the JPG from 3PI thickens the lines as you see here. I also print out the drawing and cut out sections to use as cutting guides in my chopper. Or, I use a dimension from the spreadsheet and/or drawing to set my caliper and adjust my duplicutter.
It works great for that! I find it is a lot more accurate vs. trying to use my scale rule all the time.

It is a time consuming process. But, it really paid off in dividends in a really well planned project.

Chuck

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  2:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim Burley,
Thanks for the Trainshed reference. I only have 2 Trainshed magazines and fortunately one of then is #17. Which one of the stock cars did you replicate? There is a nice square-on photo of the MKT 47150 stock car.

Joe in Orlando

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  3:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, I don't remember, but whatever it was, I modified it with upper hatches to feed the cattle without unloading them. Now they travel in refrigerator cars. . How many of the cars have you now completed for your 'cars' certificate?

Jim

Take the red pill

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  5:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,
My first car was a flat car. My second was a Drovers Caboose i.e. a passenger car. Neither have been judged as I'm waiting to finish at least my 3-rd car before I call for judging. Car certificate will be my 7-th certificate, although my Civil certificate has not been judged yet.

Joe in Orlando

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  09:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stock car questions.

Thanks to Jim B's suggestion wrt Trainshed Cyclopedia #17 I am making progress on my stock car but now I have a couple of questions.

1. From the TS #17 drawing I can clearly see that the floor boards on the lower floor extend out to the outside of the side boards. Do they also extend out to the outside edge of the end boards?

2. I'm doing a double floor stock car. The TS #17 drawing clearly shows the locations of the cross member floor support boards. But they do not show how the upper floor is supported across the cattle door. Any help would be appreciated.

3. For the "Detail" part of the AP scoring I feel I need to put hay on both of the floors. I'm at a loss wrt what to use to represent hay and where to to purchase such an item. Again any help would be appreciated.

Joe in Orlando

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  10:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

If yoou use the forum's search function and type in "hay bale" and make sure "subject only" is selected, I found four threads. One of them is Bill Gill's:
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44358

Maybe one of the four has a suggestion that will work for you.

Chuck

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  11:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Regarding question 1, arenít the drawings detailed enough to show this?

The old way of doing things was for the end-most floor boards to cover the end sills and actually extend out a little. But on the Mather cars the end sills are not exposed ie do not extend beyond the end walls. Whatís not clear from photos Iíve seen is whether the edges of floorboards can be seen below the end sheathing (like the sides, where we can see floor board ends under the side sheathing) or if the end sheathing comes down all the way to the sill, covering the edges of floorboards. I donít have a copy of the plans to examine.

Mike

Page: of 19 Topic Next Topic: Out of the salvage yard.....  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000