Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko
Page: of 19

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2020 :  07:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-SVL

Thanks for the details about your tar paper. I've got 3 questions
1--Do I understand your tar paper layering / overlapping to say that there is only 1 thickness of tar paper at the very edge of the roof?

At the edges I have a 1/2 wide section that then gets double lapped with a full width section of tar paper.
quote:

2-- What did you use as the roof under the tar paper- Scale lumber or sheet styrene?

In my case, it's either scale lumber or a milled roof. Rare that I work in styrene.
quote:

3-- Did you attach your roof walkways on top of the tar paper?

I almost always have the roof walkway supports mounted to the roof prior to installing the tar paper, and when the roofing is completed, then add the actual walkway boards.

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2020 :  08:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mike,
Thanks for the photos. Your car looks great! Did you use one piece of tar paper for the entire roof? If not how wide were your strips and what scale do you model in?

Joe in Orlando

Joe,

I forgot to answer your questions. I used strips about a scale 4 wide, overlapping them a little. I model in HO.

Mike

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  9:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I would show the finished photo of an idler/reach car I just finished for my railroad. This is the first car I will get evaluated for merit, when we can get within six feet of each other, again.

Chuck

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  10:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

It ought to pass. It Looks terrific, nice underbody detail.

Jim

Take the red pill

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  10:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Chuck,

It ought to pass. It Looks terrific, nice underbody detail.

Jim

What Jim said!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  11:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very well done, Chuck.

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 04/26/2020 11:48:07 PM

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  07:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very good to me!

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  12:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Handrails etc.
I am in the process of installing handrails on my Drovers Caboose and am curious wrt how people generally attach such devices. I can see two possible methods 1) Drill holes in the car side and insert the 0.012" brass wire into hole and CA the wire on the inside of the car, or 2) form a loop in the end of the handrail wire and put a bolt and washer casting thru the hole and into the car side. Method 3) ???

thanks, getting closer to the end

Joe in Orlando

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  3:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used method #1 on the flat car you see, above.

Chuck

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  4:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

I use method 1. I learned it from an MR article in the late 80s and have done it that way ever since.

Mike

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  5:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a variation of method #1. I rarely have access to the interior.

Shape and insert brass wire into holes, wire is usually dipped in Goo 1st, withdrawn, medium viscosity CA added, re-inserted into hole. Then an nbw casting w/o the sprue (bolt) is CA'd adjacent to where the brass wire was inserted. After paint, usually good enough.

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 05/09/2020 :  09:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck, Mike and Martin for you helpful replies to my handrail inquiry. I think I'm going to stick with #1 as I'm presently in a "Get this d_m thing done mode". I started on this car about Nov. 2-nd. Martin I toyed with your idea.

Joe in Orlando

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2020 :  4:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Chuck, Mike and Martin for you helpful replies to my handrail inquiry. I think I'm going to stick with #1 as I'm presently in a "Get this d_m thing done mode". I started on this car about Nov. 2-nd. Martin I toyed with your idea.

Joe in Orlando

Being in O scale, I have the advantage of being able to reasonably achieve my variation; however, being in O scale, I almost have to add the nbw's with the wire grabs as their absence is easily seen.

krussl
New Hire

Posted - 05/14/2020 :  10:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lets try this - couple of pictures of my just completed 4 dome tank car...

3d printed Multi housing covers - and over 80 custom printed decals. builders drawings in book for judging

Kelly Russell

krussl
New Hire

Posted - 05/14/2020 :  10:34:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
current project - "Speedy" Ambroid kit - upgrading to steel frame and doing complete interior... will 3dprint the coops for the poultry side.

not sure why i did the studs on the reefer end - both sides of the walls will be covered...

Kelly Russell

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000