Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 153 ]  [ Total: 157 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko
Page: of 19

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  3:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

I looked at the article you’ve been following. I see why you’re using it with the detailed plans and drawings. It’s going to be an interesting model. Excuse me if you said earlier, but are you using wood or styrene?

While you won’t see judges getting out their protractors to measure angles, you do want to be reasonably accurate because that will help when you go to assemble the underframe around the train line. Additionally, ti would be difficult to impossible to fix later. Because of the simplicity of a flat car the underneath will get more scrutiny and you want to use extra care, as you’re doing.

Mike

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 02/28/2019 :  5:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim and Mike
Thanks for your replies.
Mike I am using 1/32" basswood per the Porter article for this my first car to be built. It will also be my last basswood car, all the rest will be styrene as I'm confident that it will be much easier with styrene to keep the edges square and clean. As per the article by John Porter my flat car has fishbelly sills which will also be the last fishbelly sill car I build.

Jim my judges come over from Tampa to East Orlando so my present plan is to have 2 or 3 cars ready for their trip as they will also be judging my Civil Certificate work on that same trip.

Joe
Orlando,FL

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  10:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coupler Inquiry

I am nearing the completion of my first AP Car certificate HO-scale car and was wondering what others have done wrt using a coupler that is somewhat less space consuming than the normal Kadee coupler.

Joe in Orlando

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  11:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Couplers are 'exempt' from judging.

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  3:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

What do you mean by “normal?” Kadee no. 5? They are indeed oversized and many of us have switched to their “scale coupler” with regular or whisker shank. Kadee makes “scale” boxes for the whisker coupler. (I use Kadee no. 58 and cut the “ears” off the boxes. )

Jim is quite right that couplers are not judged. However, couplers closer to scale look better and can’t hurt in the judging.

Mike

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  1:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know that couplers, trucks, axles etc. are exempt from scratch built counts. I am nearing the end of building my first AP car and was wondering is it prudent to paint and weather the above three specific items.

Joe in Orlando

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  3:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adds to the realism, go for it!

Jim

Take the red pill

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  9:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

You definitely want to weather the fronts of the wheels. The axles, wheel backs and couplers are a good idea as well. As Jim said, you want to take every reasonable opportunity to increase realism.

Mike

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  09:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the flat car I am presently building I installed Cal-Scale Air Hoses. My question is what to people normally do with the metal glad hand which extends down below the Kadee coupler? I know couplers are an exempt part but it sure does look a little weird to have a scale air hose and then the large simulated "air hose" from the coupler almost side-by-side.
thanks
Joe in Orlando

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  10:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You want to clip off the Kadee “gladhand.”

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  06:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, AFAIK couplers (with trucks and maybe other items I can't recall) are 'exempt'. Judging teams I've been on have not discussed things like Kadee gladhands, width of wheels or size of flanges in scoring. Which is not to say it's never done, or that people senior to me were not noticing those items and considering them.

I do agree that car ends look more realistic without Kadee pins, but the same can be said for wheel width.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  07:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I'm a 'senior' only in age,    and I agree with you 100%.

Jim

Take the red pill

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  10:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe one last question <G>
AAR code - is an AAR code required on a car? I reviewed a lot of the cars on my layout and most do not have an AAR code stenciled on the side of the car. All my PRR cars do have a code but it is their unique code like X28 or X36 that the PRR used and not an official AAR code.

Joe in Orlando

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  11:02:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last two cars I've decaled have included AAR codes. I can't quote the rules, but I think the codes were more important on cars where important details like auto racks in boxcars, meat rails in reefers etc. weren't easy to determine from the ground.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  11:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking at past contest winners I noticed some had the gladhands clipped, others not.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000