Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 130 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: PC G47 Gondola Build Topic Next Topic: Out of the salvage yard.....
Page: of 10

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2019 :  08:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I very rarely use any air hose castings other than those from Precision Scale (Kemtron) and always in brass.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  5:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if anybody has had their cars Merit Judged lately and if so have the Merit Award Judges been lenient at all wrt the size of the brass wire used for the piping etc. of the brake system. There seems to be an absolute dirth of 0.015" and 0.022" brass wire these days. I do ave a good supply of 0.012" and some 0.019" brass wire which it looks like I'm going to have to use. Does anybody see any problem with using the 0.012" and 0.019" wire w/o being penalized?

thanks

Joe

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  7:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you're grossly out of scale, I doubt that there's a problem - they are not going to have a micrometer handy. It's by eye and by golly that looks about right. That you have it at all and it's in correct or at least plausible locations connected reasonably correct should be adequate.

I honestly never worried about using a size other than "that's looking ok".

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  11:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Martin said.

Jim

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  08:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't buy any, but I saw that Tichy brought a full rack of their phosphor bronze modeling wire to the Amherst Club show last month. They sell both pieces about 6" and pieces about 36", though the latter will be inefficient to ship safely.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  10:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

I think if you checked other modelers and the better kits you’d find variability in wire sizes used for brake rigging. For instance, the Tichy box car kit uses 0.010 wire for brake rods and 0.020 for train line and brake staff.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  6:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grab Iron Standoff
I've found some pretty good information wrt the width of grab irons; but I haven't seen any information wrt the standoff distance of the grab iron from the side of a car. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  09:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think both width and stand off distance is pretty variable and if you use the pre-formed wire or brass castings for grabs that set both of these dimensions that no one will ever argue on this dimension.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  11:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When gluing grabs in place I usually slip a scale 2” piece of styrene under the grab. The resulting standoff looks right to me.

Mike

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  2:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AB Brake kits
I'm installing my first Cal-Scale AB Brake system and need some hole. I bought the brass version of Cal-Scale brake system and am trouble drilling holes to more securely hold the various size wires I plan on using for the piping. Has anybody had success with drilling into the brass pieces of the Ca-Scale set; OR have people generally used the Cal-Scale plastic AB brake system kit?
thanks

Joe

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  8:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Drilling into a brass casting is difficult, especially for the diameter carbide drill you would use. Brass is much harder than aluminum or 'pot metal'. Use the plastic, once it's painted nobody knows or measures a Rockwell number.

Jim

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  09:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Drilling into a brass casting is difficult, especially for the diameter carbide drill you would use. Brass is much harder than aluminum or 'pot metal'. Use the plastic, once it's painted nobody knows or measures a Rockwell number.

If you're using a pin vise to drill brass, you're going to be there close to forever and will probably end up breaking a few drill bits, too. If you have a small drill press, this gets a lot easier a lot faster.

If you have the option of plastic castings that are good, go there. If they look right, then they are right.

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: PC G47 Gondola Build Topic Next Topic: Out of the salvage yard.....  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000