Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Scenery Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 NMRA AP Scenery Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Experimental model railroading:  Matching dirt Topic Next Topic: Constructing the Conrail C&P Line
Page: of 8

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  9:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Marty, Chuck (wvrr) and I recently evaluated a member's layout for scenery. He was successful, but he had asked me to visit his layout six months before that to see if I could point out areas of weakness that would need to be addressed. Some of those included transitions between scenes and between the layout and the backdrop, 'planting' some structures that looked like they were sitting on top of the ground, checking the entire area to make sure that no glaring white spots of plaster were showing thru, and lighting. Most of those were easy, but he had no lighting. He had to retro-fit his some of his structures, and he also added some signals. For some reason the whole lighting requirement caught him by surprise. Anyway, he addressed all those things before we arrived in December.

Remembering my visit to your layout, I don't think you have much to worry about.

thanks Bruce, that's very kind. As I recall on your last visit there was precious little done - you need to stop by when you're down this way sometime.

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  10:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVSNE

When I've been an AP evaluator (I've only done Civil and Electrical, although this weekend I'm going to be helping evaluate a Prototype Modeler AP candidate) here the modeler is usually asked to leave the room while we discuss and look at things, but then the modeler can come back in and we can ask questions and the like. I guess it's become something of a tradition in our Division since most modelers will show us a around, then they simply say something like "Well, guess time for me to leave and let you get started. Let me know if you need anything."
Different strokes perhaps?

Not necessarily. I think that way is healthy, in that it gives the Team a chance to look, overlook, form opinions, discuss the effects and so on, then chat about the results with the modeler. The "Why did you do this?," "Have you considered that?," "I did that because...," and "Did you guys see this?" discussions can cement the evaluator's decisions or cause them to re-think what was done.

There may be good and valid reasons to have only one street light instead of a series of them, for instance (we had only one on the street where I grew up in the '50s rural 'burbs, but a city kid would have light everywhere). Discussion would bring this out, and might cause the Team to re-think a point total. Not having that interaction would cause the Team to miss that point.

As long as everyone understands that the process is intended to build up rather than tear down, it all works.

And as I mentioned, we all want to know how this shakes out for you! Like Bruce, I see no issues here-- you've nailed the New England in which I grew up and in which my family still lives.

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 03/27/2015 1:42:21 PM

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  1:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last night I began reading an article in the May 2008 issue of Scale Rails that was written by Larry Smith and Dan Lewis, both who are MMR-s and both who are Scenery certificate judges. Dan made the following interesting comment in the article "I usually look to see whether the modeler has taken the trouble to create root structures for trees or simply stuck the trunks into the ground." I'm presently in the process of installing trees (maybe 100+) as my last major step before I ask for my scenery work to be judged. (Ignore my Feb. 2010 post to this forum that I was within 7-10 months of being ready for judging <G>.)

I'm curious whether roots are frequently installed around large trees and if so what is used to make the root structures? Also are roots a necessity or are they something that earns the modeler a 115+ score?

thanks

Joe Brann
Orlando, FL

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, I have evaluated a number of layouts for the scenery certificate, and have never done a "root check". In fact, of the scores of trees in my yard, I think that you can see root structure on only two of them. Perhaps on a foreground tree where the base is not hidden by weeds, you should have the trunk get wider at the base.

Now, if you are modeling cypress trees...

Bruce

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  12:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have judged for Scenery but I have not done a 'root check' either. For myself, it's more of an issue of if the tree form fits into the scenery.

I have a question for those who are or have been AP chairs at the Division level. What things did you do to generate and boost interest in the AP/MMR program? Thanks in advance.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  5:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kris,
I am the AP Chair for our Division, CPD13,
http://www.trainweb.org/cpd13/
I guess I am not so good at coming up with things that boost the AP Program so much, because we have a very active division and one of our MMRs is very active in providing clinics on various aspects on scratchbuilding (includes rolling stock and structures)toward models that could be judged. Our division hosts a Popular Vote Contest every month where people bring in models and that helps generate some AP Activity. I do announce during meetings that I am very open to help someone understand different aspects about the AP and I do promote the Golden Spike venture as often as I can as well as push folks toward the "soft" categories such as Volunteer and Author, and Association Official.
For now, I consider our MMR's AP based clinics are enough.
Regards, Vic B.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  9:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Vic. I've suggested to the Division where I'm the AP Chair that we have a clinic on having models judged. Another Division where I attended were thinking of having a few models actually judged of the members could see the process and obtain a better feel for the process. Same basic ideas, just a bit different in presentation. But I'm still looking for additional ideas to increase the interest in the AP/MMR program(s). But I'll have to start implementing your idea of announcing at meetings the idea of assistance for those who may be interested. Thanks.....

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  10:44:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I did forget to say that we try to have 2 or 3 judging events for models every year to make it easier on our members. Not everyone can go to a a convention and anyway, it seems that judging at conventions can be a bit more "stringent"? Sometimes our Region Chair, Charlie Flichman, comes to these and we have even had Martin Brechbiel, the MER Contest Chair, attend these as well.
By the way, I have judged several Scenery AP's and never really focused on the tree root area unless it looked obviously bad or good. No one ever failed the Scenery AP for that kind of thing.
Regards, Vic B.

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  11:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Masking

The NMRA web site for the scenery certificate mentions "Masking" off the portion of ones layout that is not being judged. I'm curious wrt what people have used / seen in the context of masking. Do people put bed sheets etc. over the not-to-be-judged area, or do people build visual-block walls out of cardboard etc to mask off the rest of ones layout? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

joe Brann
Orlando, FL

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  12:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

I am the AP Chair for our Division (Garden State Div., NER) and we have judged three layouts for scenery recently. We have not asked the owner to mask off the area, but simply to clearly describe the area when we get there. (e.g., Everything from the left of the roundhouse to up to and including the mine...)

What I would suggest is to contact your Division's AP Chair and see if masking is necessary.

Bruce

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  11:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I agree with Bruce. I have judged several of these and have never even considered to ask the person to "mask off" the portions not being judged.
Regards, Vic B.
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Joe,

I am the AP Chair for our Division (Garden State Div., NER) and we have judged three layouts for scenery recently. We have not asked the owner to mask off the area, but simply to clearly describe the area when we get there. (e.g., Everything from the left of the roundhouse to up to and including the mine...)

What I would suggest is to contact your Division's AP Chair and see if masking is necessary.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  11:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see no reason for masking, taping or covering with sheets, trash bags, etc. Simply tell the evaluators what's "in" and what's not. If the evaluators cannot deal with that, perhaps they should not be evaluators. This isn't rocket science here....

Pete
in Michigan

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  12:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Vic, & Pete,

'Course this discussion presumes the evaluee has a layout of sufficient size as to even think about "masking, taping or covering with sheets, trash bags, etc." For those of us who are "spatially challenged," the ENTIRE layout may not be much larger than the minimum requirement of 32' in HO.

Catch y'all later.

Steve Flanigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  1:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When my evaluation happens, one boundary will be obvious - coved backdrop & post framing a bridge over the entrance to an unseniced yard. The other end will be marked with ribbon or tape.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  2:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leeflan

Bruce, Vic, & Pete,

'Course this discussion presumes the evaluee has a layout of sufficient size as to even think about "masking, taping or covering with sheets, trash bags, etc." For those of us who are "spatially challenged," the ENTIRE layout may not be much larger than the minimum requirement of 32' in HO.

Catch y'all later.

Steve Flanigan

True dat!

In which case all y'all'd best make it all good!

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Experimental model railroading:  Matching dirt Topic Next Topic: Constructing the Conrail C&P Line  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000