Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop
Page: of 10

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  8:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

Congratulations, Chuck and Danny! You guys are both exceptional modelers in my opinion.

I will second that.

Danny,
We were just in the Loudon this past weekend and I was thinking about the actual structure.
I saw a few barns in that area that would make a nice model but nothing as nice as the one in the pictures you posted.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  1:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John and Mike. John, I will be back in that area this weekend.... my camera will be with me. Danny

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  6:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny, I had missed your post. Congratulations for your super high scores!

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  9:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your scores, Danny! That is very impressive.

Thanks for everyone's comments on my score for the hoist house. It is gratifying to know that the score I received at the national level is on par with the score at the division level.

Chuck

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  1:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crew,,, question for those who judge or have structures judged. Is siding material such as Northeastern or other manufatrures considered use of a commercial part?
Thanks in Advance Joe

Cheers!, Joe

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  2:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnhman

Crew,,, question for those who judge or have structures judged. Is siding material such as Northeastern or other manufatrures considered use of a commercial part?
Thanks in Advance Joe

Joe,

In my experience, as long as you are laying out, measuring, cutting, fitting and finishing the siding yourself (in other words doing all the work), the commercial material is considered raw material. You can make your own clapboards, for instance, from wood or styrene for additional scratchbuilding points if you want to, but the sheet stock is generally considered raw material.

If, OTOH, the siding is in a laser-cut kit, where someone else has done the engineering and layout work, it's a commercial part.

All of that said, when the paperwork phase comes around, note that the siding is from "XYZ company" and drive on. You might also consider asking your AP chair about your specific project....

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 02/06/2010 2:06:39 PM

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  6:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the many times I have judges, scribed siding is acceptable but you will get more points under construction (it is more difficult board on board) and under scratchbuilding. I have never seen it listed as a comercial product. Even plain design preservation panels are not listed as a comercial product.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  6:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys when reading judges comments on a structure I built one of the comments under the scratchbuilt section for the judges comments they mentioned that the siding was commerial even though I listed the wood p/n from Northeastern and had photos included that show the walls with and with out the window /door cutouts..

Cheers!, Joe

modorney
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  8:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck wvrr - what a great model. I especially like the detail which represents an actual mechanical assembly, as opposed to something like a machine shop with assorted unrelated tools and metal pieces on the benches. (although you can have both). I think the real winner is the hobby - these models are an inspiration to the rest of us. All of you have greatly raised the bar.

cheers,
Mike O

Euro-style modeling on a 2 by 5 foot module.

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  12:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for posting this info
i have read through the entire 9 pages and now i understand how they do the juging and everything about getting a cert.
i had heard about people getting certs. before but never took the time till now to understand what they were talking about
i know i have a long ways to go in my modeling but this is a great referance for me to come back to as well

On30 Dave
seen on G+, YOUTUBE and FB

Mike157
New Hire

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  08:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning gang!

Just logging in for the first time. My name is Mike Warner. I am a novice to the hobby (at 59 years). I run with the Genesee and Ontario N-Gineers – an N Trak group out of Rochester, NY. Let’s see if I get this right – that puts me in The Niagara Frontier Region (NFR) and The Lakeshore Division (LSD). I am reading up to start up on the Structures Achievement Program.
For those that think that you beat the proverbial dead horse on some of the threads, newbies like me are able to glean all sorts of good info on the discussions. Please keep it up.

Will join in on the conversations when I am able. BTW Is there anyone who has done their Structure certificate in N Gauge?

Mike in NY

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  09:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave & Mike,

I'm glad that you found this thread to be helpful and I certainly hope that both of you jump into the Achievement Program.

We have 'support' threads for all aspects of the Achievement Program here on the RR-L Forums. You can find out more about the rest of the threads at this link: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24676

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  10:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike there is a lot of help and information available locally to you as well.Check out the contact info at the NFR site and the ID site http://nfr-nmra.org/id/pages/frameset.html ,http://www.nfr-nmra.org/Contact.htm. You will see my contact information there as well.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  10:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First time I have posted on this thread since I am now fired up to achieve MMR. I have four Certificates of Achievement to date: Master Builder- Cars; Master Builder- Structures; Association Official; and Association Volunteer. This weekend I submitted my statement of qualifications (SOQ) for Model Railroad Author. I was pleased to learn that electronic publishing, (e.g. construction threads on this forum) can count for half of the points needed for this one. I am close to applying for Master Builder- Scenery and I ordered some "Fast Tracks" materials so I can get started on the Model Railroad Engineer- Civil certificate. That will be the required seven I need. Any ideas on helping attain this last one would be appreciated. I'm sure there are plenty already on this forum.

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  07:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike congratulations on being so far ahead of many of us. In my humble opinion Getting your masrer builder structures and Cars are the most difficult certificates to obtain. Charge on!

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000