Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop
Page: of 10

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  5:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thought some of you would be interested on how the judging turned out on Franklin tower. After finally getting the write ups for my remaining structures finished, the guys came over to judge them. Franklin Tower got a toal of 97 points: Construction-27, Detail 15, Conformity 22, Finish 20, and Scratch built 14.

The coaling tower was also judged and received 104 pts: Const. 31, Detail 18, Conformity 22, Finish 24, and SB 9.

I used a couple of suggestions from earlier in the thread, and added (and documented) more details to a couple of structures, including making vises (following the Making Details thread)for the work benches in the roundhouse, and fire barrel platforms on my bridge. It paid off as all 7 structures got Merit Awards. John Johnson, who has gotten 1st place awards for structures and cars at the Nationals was the senior judge, so I'm really happy with the scores.

Chuck Davis

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  6:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Chuck!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  6:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Chuck.

George

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  8:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Chuck! Congratulations!!

Pete
in Michigan

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  9:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trainsforall

quote:
Originally posted by AVRR-PA

Hi, everyone --

I missed a couple of additional points by not adding NBW's on the underside of the bridge, which I could have easily done before I installed it. Crazy? Well, no crazier than fully detailed brake rigging.

Don

Don,

Congratulations!

Remember our emails about the NBW's on the cribbing of the freight station I sent you the plans on? Looks like they want something on BOTH sides . . . . even when you can't really see it! That doubles the work.

Anyway, great job on the bridge!

Joe M.
Cleveland, OH

Hi, Joe --

Sorry for not replying sooner. I missed your comment in earlier readings. Thanks for writing and yes, I do remember the cribbing for the freight station. In future, I'll do both sides of NBW's if there is any possible way the other side can/could be seen - even if it takes a dental inspection mirror. I draw the line at places that could only be seen by a judge using some kind of fiberoptic 'scope.

Don

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  10:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's great news, Chuck! Congratulations!

Chuck

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  07:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news Chuck. Now if I can just grt off my butt and get going.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  10:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, and congratulations Bruce on your article in RMC.

Attached is one of the work benches I added to the roundhouse following Bob Boudreau's advise on adding details.

I also cast some details such as exhaust hoods and left the roof off so the judges could see it. John Johnson mentioned to me that if you leave the roof off, to make sure that it fits perfectly as the judges have the option of checking the fit.

Happy modeling.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2009 :  09:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good tip on the roof, Chuck.

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Davis

Thanks guys, and congratulations Bruce on your article in RMC.

Thanks. That puts me over the top for the Author Certificate. I'm working on the paperwork now.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  10:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got back from the NMRA national convention in Hartford. I entered my hoist house in the scratchbuilt structures category and it received 109 points, overall. There was pretty stiff competition at the contest, when you consider that the top three models in this category received 113, 112, and 111 points overall. My model received an honorable mention...as did many others that were above the merit level.

34 out of 40 Construction
18 out of 20 Detail
23 out of 25 Conformity
22 out of 25 Finish
12 out of 15 Scratchbuilding

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  11:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Chuck. I could tell by looking around the Contest Room that competition was stiff!

Bruce

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  07:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I am happy to report that I have completed everything (other than to submit it)the requirements for my structures certificate.

Last month I received my last two merit awards needed at the SER/NMRA convention in Pensacola.
I had 120/125 points (Best In Show) for my E.B. Hunt's store and second overall with my Lake Loudon Grocery with 119/125 points. Both were built here on the forum.

Now for the paperwork. Danny

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  6:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations for reaching such a level, Chuck. Considering the extraordinary quality of your model, the three ones that scored higher must have been exceptional.

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  6:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, What Fredic said!! Chuck your hoist house was totally assume! That was build I had booked marked.
Now to throw my attepts in the trash,
Great going ,,,
Joe

Cheers!, Joe

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  8:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Chuck and Danny! You guys are both exceptional modelers in my opinion.

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000