Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop
Page: of 10

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  02:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the NBWs you've added, and the weathering you did on and around them really add to the final aspect of the bridge, Don.
About the bridge keeper, let me try a quotation of one of Disney's movie : "in scare we care".

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  08:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Frederic --

Thanks for the comment! It's nice to get up in the morning and read your overnight postings.

After a rather long nap, I worked on contest models until 2 AM so I'm getting a later-than-normal start to the day. Still much to do on the script and slides for my clinic tomorrow. TOMORROW??? Ohmygawd!

Don

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  09:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don,

I have a feeling that you will do very well with that bridge!

Good luck with the clinic, too.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  09:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don, I share Bruce's standpoint about the bridge.
BTW, I went to bed at 3.15 am, and was up at 7.15 am to prepare the children's breakfast before they go to school. That would make some people angry. Not me...

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  09:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking bridge Don. I like the finishing work you have done on it gives it a nice water related feel.The weathered wood looks good as well. Jerry

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  1:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone --

Bruce, thanks for the good wishes. I hope the clinic is well received. I like doing that sort of thing and hope to have more opportunities after this first one.

Frederic, I hope you got a nap later in the day; you're too young to be getting by on 4 hours sleep.

Jerry, thanks for your comments.

I will post the detailed results of the AP evaluation on Sunday or Monday.

Don

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  9:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone --

Good news. The NG bridge did well in the evaluation and qualified for a Merit Award. The total score was 94.

Here's the breakdown:
-- Construction/Workmanship - 26 of 40.
(The score is based on Difficulty and how well you did what you set out to do. The bridge was considered to be moderately complex - compared to larger, more elaborate structures - and that limited the maximum points. Makes sense to me.)

-- Detail/Quantity and Amount - 15 of 20. They liked the seagulls and other details. I missed a couple of additional points by not adding NBW's on the underside of the bridge, which I could have easily done before I installed it. Crazy? Well, no crazier than fully detailed brake rigging.

-- Conformity/Prototype Practice - 20 of 25. I still don't really understand this one - but I'm not sure anyone does.

-- Finish and Lettering - 18 of 25.

-- Scratchbuilt - 15 of 15.

Here's a picture of the three judges hard at work (on someone else's models). There were 4 models evaluated for the AP at this session.

I could go ahead and apply for the Structure Certificate at this point but I want to overachieve a little. I am working on a B&O toolhouse in O scale for which I've drawn my own plans from an old photo.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support you've given me in this.

Don

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  10:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Don. I knew you would do well with the bridge.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  09:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Don. The bridge sure looked good from the pictures you posted. I can see why you got 94 points.

George

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  10:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go, Don! Congratulations!

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  10:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Don.
I am glad to see that all your hard work was recognized by the evaluators.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  1:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Don. It's a real neat bridge! Sounds like your division's Jamboree was more like our region's convention.

Chuck

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  6:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday Saturday March 21 eight members of the NMRA Southern Ontario AP Mentorship Group met at my house to learn about structure judging. In the group we were blessed to have two MMRs join us. To get our group going I volunteered to be the guinea pig and to have my John Randall sawmill kit judged. I was a bit unnerving to listen to the group judge my model. I was a bit disappointed that I didn’t win a merit award because of all of the hard work I put into the kit but then again I would do it again for everything that I learned. Here are some things I learned.
• Be very careful as to what model you chose to model because the more complicated the model the more points you potentially get. A building with multiple sections and therefore a more complicated roof line will earn more points than a plain box type building with a simple roof line.
• This model was designed to show off the interior but the open roof and walls, lack of shingles were not prototypical. Therefore I lost points in conformity and construction.
• The model was built a year ago constructed with some white glue and some yellow glue. The model is part of my buddy’s layout and guess what? Some parts came apart and one of the walls warped. I glued it back together but the warped walls still stayed warped. Don’t use white glue on a contest model.
• Keep everything square (the bane of my modeling) and even. ( my trusses are not even) Check everything several times. Redo it over again if it isn’t right.
• Enjoy scratch building and learn from your mistakes.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/northern6400/2009322184858_IMGP1672_opt.jpg"] IMGP1672_opt.jpg

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

railmus
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  8:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JUST NOTICED WE CROSS POSTED!

We went through quite an excellent “practice” exercise yesterday. It was very enlightening.

Our Southwestern Ontario AP mentoring group met at a member's home where we all tried our hand at judging a structure he volunteered.

As well as five “regular” members, we had two MMRs and two more qualified judges.

All of us individually worked through the judging - Construction, Detail, Conformity, Finish and Scratchbuilt.

When I first saw the structure, I was very impressed and thought it would earn merit points.

We read the NMRA guidelines for each category then openly discussed the model. After that we each came up with a score which we shared with the group. The owner was included in all discussions and evaluated his own building as well as we went along.

Many, many items were discussed and it was very important that we had four “experts” to guide us in our deliberations.

By the end of the session (about 2 hours on the one structure), we were all scoring quite closely and the final points total was also quite close.
My final comment is that I don’t think that I could have personally listened to the constructive criticism without some upset ! but this was a real learning experience for us all.
So hats off to our volunteer “guinea pig” (as he said).

We all agreed that one of the most important things you can do is pick a structure that will allow you to earn maximum points!

Edited by - railmus on 03/22/2009 8:15:28 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  8:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Don!

Chuck

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000