Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop
Page: of 10

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  12:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Chuck. Sent you a PM. How soon before you light 'er up?

-slim

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  07:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

The tower is really looking terrific. That window framing is 'spot on'!

I think all would benefit from seeing the documentation. In terms of 'judging', with out a 'calibration session' I think that the results would be all over the place.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  9:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Wow, that looks great! I agree with Bruce, though. Without some training and calibration, the judging will be all over.

Chuck

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  11:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got the tower installed on the layout.

The two LED circuits weren't balanced very well. Ended up replacing the 240 ohm resistor with 470 ohms. they were also two bright, so I added a 360 ohm resistor to the end of the circuit.

On to the paperwork.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  11:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lights look great , Chuck.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  08:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great scene, Chuck. The LV and CNJ F units look great by the tower!

Chuck

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  10:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

I need to complete the paperwork for 5 other structures before I'll have everything ready to be judged-probably sometime next month. If you think this will be helpful, I can post the write-up and some photos of a crossing tower that was judged at the MER convention in Reston last year. After the guys have a few days to look it over and maybe do their own judging, I can post the scores. As you mentioned, judging at the regional (and national) level is somewhat more conservative, probably because different teams evaluate different categories.

Chuck

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  07:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Why don't you see if you can post your write-up and the matrix scoring links off the NMRA web site so that everyone can get a feel for how scores are "calibrated" across each of the judging caegories; that should be enlightening to some here.

BTW, you got at least 2 merit awards in Reston last year - bringing anything to Hagerstown?? I like a full contest room to keep the judges busy,

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  11:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the link to the Judging Guidelines for Motive Power, Cars and Structures ONLY: http://www.nmra.com/education/achievement/pdf/2006-judging-guide-lines.pdf. Until you mentioned it, I didn't even realize it existed. You learn something new everyday!!!

Your right, the matrix is very informative and explains why I received some scores I did. After I had already completed the AP for Cars, I submitted a steam engine from a kit I was pretty proud of, and embarassed by the score it got.

Your point is well taken. Use the matrix to judge your own project (or someone else's) to get an idea where it would rank. You can always add some touches as Don and Bruce have mentioned to get a few more points.

Chuck

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  12:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These files are the paperwork I submitted with a model of a Lehigh Valley Crossing Tower at the MER convention in Reston last October.

Download Attachment: NMRA Contest Judge Form 902.LV Crossing Tower.doc
33.3 KB

Download Attachment: Form 902 Continuation LV crossing tower.doc
31.77 KB

I included these under construction photos in the documentation.

It's really slowing down. I'll include the rest and some finished photos tomorrow.

Chuck

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  1:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks, a small, but subtle item to note is that under scratchbuilding (MAX 15 pts), if you use ready made windows or doors, the max becomes 10 pts. Be aware of that piece. This is why some of the old timers opt to make their own. However, if your scratchbuilt windows and doors do not look really good, you are likely to lose more points than if you used ready made ones.
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Davis

Here's the link to the Judging Guidelines for Motive Power, Cars and Structures ONLY: http://www.nmra.com/education/achievement/pdf/2006-judging-guide-lines.pdf.
Chuck

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  11:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good point, Vic. I'll list how it was judged after I get the other photos posted.

Chuck

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are the other under construction photos.

I had to take a quick photo of the plans I used and some prototype photos. There not great, but will give you an idea of that part of the documentation.

There are fust a few more photos of the finished tower which I'll try to post a little later.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  11:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Thanks for posting the documentation and pictures on the crossing tower. Both should be a big help for those approaching the task for the first time!

One more comment on scratchbuilding windows. Indeed you can gain a a few more points in the scoring, and that might be the difference between a merit award or not. However, for those who don't want to venture into the world of window construction, take heart. I managed to avoid that completely while earning my Structures Certificate. Of course, some of my scores could have been higher....

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  11:40:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're not interested in fabricating windows, you might consider making masters and casting them. The tricks here are to do a Really, Really Good job with the master (the molds will pick up every little imperfection), carefully make the molds, then cast enough parts to give you good ones suitable for the project. You may lose some "complexity" points based on part counts, but you'll gain a multi-media project and some points for noting that the "windows were cast from molds made from original masters." Add the molds and the masters to the documentation and enjoy!

And BTW, you also will have added a new, useful technique to your arsenal....

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000