Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Bridge ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop
Page: of 10

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  8:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Don! March is just around the corner - not too long to wait at all!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  9:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

Made some progress this week on the trim and doors, actually alot more than I would have if Bruce hadn't started this thread.

Added the wall caps, window sills, chimney cap and flu, and finished the doors.

The interior on the ground floor is nearly complete. I added the interior walls and staircase. It's just sitting on the foundation for now until I get the lighting installed.

Started on some of the tower interior details. Thought the swivel chair looked more like a barber's chair, so I added the legs. Need to complete the desk and panel to finish that.

I think I'm down to the hardest and most complex part of the project-making the aluminum framed windows for the tower.

I was thinking of silver decals on a clear sheet. Never tried it, but a friend, Lee Turner, recommended against it. I'm going try Evergreen strips, but if anyone has some suggestions please let me know.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  10:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

I wonder how styrene covered with Bare Metal Foil would look.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

clif
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  03:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going try Evergreen strips, but if anyone has some suggestions please let me know.

Another possibility would be to make them out of styrene like your thinking, and then use a paint product the scale car enthusiasts use to create the chrome trim on their models, some or the products have your actually buffing a finish.

If you got a bright chrome finish you could use normal weathering techniques to tone it down to what you wanted.

I don't have any individual product, but have seen the products offered which create the chrome and aluminum finishes car buffs crave.

Hope this helps.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  06:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Congratulations, Don! March is just around the corner - not too long to wait at all!

Hi, Bruce and everyone --

Actually, the extra time is welcome. It gives me time to get the rails installed, add walkways, pigeons or gulls, maybe a sign, a couple of fire barrels - all of which will earn me a couple of additional points in the "Details" category.

Don

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  06:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I was thinking of silver decals on a clear sheet. Never tried it, but a friend, Lee Turner, recommended against it. I'm going try Evergreen strips, but if anyone has some suggestions please let me know."

Speaking from complete lack of experience here, just to give fair warning, but --

-- I'd be a mite worried about how well decals would adhere, long-term, to something as slick as clear plastic.

-- The aircraft modelers deal with this all the time in trying to paint complex canopies on older (WWII)aircraft. If you're near a good-sized library, you might want to read through some back issues of "Fine Scale Modeler." One method I seem to recall involves using Bare Metal Foil as a masking material - the canopy frame is then spray painted and the mask is removed.

You have a very interesting project underway. Thanks for sharing.

Don

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  07:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Here is a link to the use of Bare Metal Foil on a structure: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19664

Bruce

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  2:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas guys. I hadn't thought about the Bare Metal Foil. I have some of their Chrome finish which I used on vehicles and really like. They now have a Matte finish on their website, but none of the local shops carry it. I'll try some Dullcote on a piece and see how it looks.

Chuck

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  10:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just posted some pictures of the Connellsville Trolley bridge "as evaluated"; here's a link:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13124&whichpage=8

Don

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  3:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

Made some progress on my project after our operating session last week, and experimenting with the Bare Foil I had.

Painted the water fountain, which is the only detail on the ground floor besides the interior doors and steps, and made holes for the electrical leads. I'm holding off on gluing the foundation until the window frame is finished, and I can mark it on the inside bottom of the roof.

I used 5 yellow-glo 3mm LEDs to light the tower.

I took your recommendation and cut strips of Bare Metal foil to make the window frames. Sprayed the Chrome finish stuff I had with Dullcoat first which gave it more of an aluminum finish.

The back of the tower is the only side I didn't have a photo of. The utility room door was a guess based on the interior. Added the scuppers and downspouts, and the electric meter for some detail as this will face the front of the layout.

Tried making my own decals for the tower name on each end. Most CNJ signs had a Vermillion background.

These last photos are of the tower interior which is ready to install. Needed some proof for the judges of what it looks like. The panel is a decal made from a Word drawing depicting my layout trackage and signals at the junction.

I just need to finish the tower window frames and the NMRA write-up to complete the project. Hopefully I'll have it done by this weekend.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  5:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Chuck. I really like the accurate track schematic.

Bruce

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  7:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks terrific, Chuck!

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  09:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

I forgot to ask, how did you like using the Bare Metal Foil for this application? Do you think that it is an step up from just using aluminum paint?

Bruce

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  2:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck and Bruce,

Thanks for the nice comments. I tried the method Don mentioned first of using the foil as a mask, and then spraying the frame. I ended up with so much adhesive on both sides the window looked terrible, and efforts to remove the adhesive just made things worse.

After cutting the clear pieces to fit, adding strips to the edge cut 3" wide was just tedius, but if you mess up it's easy to just try another piece. You need a really sharp blade to make sure it doesn't pull or tear when your cutting. The only problem is the chrome finish does't hold paint or Dullcoat well. It's real easy to bub it off when your handling it. I would recommend trying their matte finish-I just noticed that Micro-Mark carries it.

For the tower frame I decided to spray it flat aluminum because both sides need to be covered.

Chuck

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  11:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally got the tower finished. I used 1"x10, 1x6, 1x4 and 1x3 strips for the frame.

It is painted flat aluminum with a coat of Dullcote to tone it down. The bottom panel was cut from 0.010 sheet and painted Grimy Black. I used 0.010 clear styrene to reinforce the frame and 0.005 for the open window.

For the tar and gravel roof is used 140 grit sandpaper. The flashing on the main roof was made by cutting and bending pieces cut from an aluminum oven tray. Dullcoat was used to tone them down. The vent pipes were cut from brass tubing and painted black.

Bruce, I should have the NMRA write-up finished in a few days. What do you think about having guys judge it? I think it would famaliarize anyone who has never done one with the forms and the judging process.

Chuck

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000