Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop
Page: of 10

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  11:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce.

A little about the prototype. It was located between the CNJ's Ashley, PA yard and Wilkes-Barre along the CNJ and Lehigh Valley tracks. This was about 1 mile from where I grew up. The manual interlocking and semaphore signals were replaced as part of CNJs attempt to streamline and modernize its operations in the 50s. The new air conditioned brick tower became operational on July 8th, 1952 when this was taken.

There is an excellent website with a description of the operation and another photo of the tower at http://www.gingerb.com. Click on the Central Railroad of New Jersey and then on the word "Ashley."

I was unable to locate any plans for the tower which has been torn down. I drew my own plans using the few photos I had found. The size was estimated using 4x 8 for bricks and 36 x 80 for the doors. The interior layout was based on the location of the walls, construction practices, and my recollections of visits when growing up.

I'll take a photo tomorrow of the mockup I made to test the measurements.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  11:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

It looks like a neat project. Using the brick and door measurements should give you a very close approximation to the actual dimensions. You would need to explain that process in the documentation.

Some of the scratchbuilt structures I eventually used for the Certificate were built well before I joined the NMRA. I had made rough drawings for construction purposes, but in most cases those were thrown away after the construction. That meant I had to recreate them for the documentation. For the last few I made, once I knew I was working toward the certificate, I would make two sets of drawings. One for construction, since they tended to get roughed up during the process, and one that I kept for the paperwork.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  07:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

Should be an interesting project. Sounds like a good basis for determining the measurements.

Chuck

slimjerkins
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  07:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce - thanks for starting this thread. Although I'm not working on any awards, I find this process rather interesting.

Bruce/Don - Can you tell us what things "de-rated" your scores?

Nice work everyone

-slim

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  08:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slim,

I can share one that comes to mind. It was a kit, not a scratchbuild. I had a highly weathered corrugated roof on it, but the walls were pristine. Also, I hadn't added any scratchbuilt 'extras' to the kit. As it was, the score missed the merit level by about 7 or 8 points.

I weathered the walls, added exterior lamps, scratchbuilt a 'Bilco' cellar door, added an overhang by the loading door, and one or two other items. On re-judging, it earned a Merit Award.

BTW, if in my documentation I had said it was my intent to model the structure newly painted, the difference between the roof and the walls would never had been an issue.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  8:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good point about the plans, Bruce. The one I made has so many changes on it I need to redo it. Related to saving time on the submission, I'm trying to complete NMRA Contest Form 902 as I go through this.

Also liked your comments on judging. I'm hoping when this is finished it will qualify for a merit award. Making my own plans and being scratchbuilt should be a plus. May be when it's finished you guys can judge it and we can discuss the process.

This is the mock-up I made using scrap stryene to test the plans I made and the location. I thought the proportions looked pretty close with the exception of the roof thickness. It's been sitting on the layout for several months now.

The tower appeared to follow typical 1950s commercial construction: concrete slab floor, and concrete block walls (8x8x16) with a brick exterior. One of the bigger questions I have is on the roof construction-Im leaning toward a tar and stone roof on a metal frame.

I started by cutting the 15'x 39' slab floor from 0.060 sheet.For the brick walls I wanted to try Walthers (933-3522) brick sheets and Pikestuff 1004 Concrete block sections for the interior walls. This photo shows the finished exterior walls.

The roof sections came next. I made the 12" thick tower roof by laminating two 0.040 sheets which were easier to cut with 4x6 spacers. The tower floor was cut to model the staircase. These pieces are shown here.

These are the interior wall sections after they were cut out.

Your just about caught up to where I'm at with the project.

Chuck Davis
Norfolk, VA
http://members.cox.net/mylvrr

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  08:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks good, Chuck. Since you are doing the inside walls, I am assuming you are going to detail the interior, also?

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  10:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck D,

As the other Chuck D (wvrr) mentioned, interior decoration might be a good idea. Even some basic detailing such as a desk, chair, simulated control panel, etc. would earn a few more points - especially if you scratch built them from styrene. We have some pictures of control tower interiors here on the forum.

Bruce

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  11:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm planning to do the interior, primarily the tower, and to add lighting. No intention of going to the detail in Chuck's fan house which I love, but enough for realism and the extra points Bruce mentioned.

I planned on the control panel and have a swivel chair on order. Beside a water cooler on the ground floor (there was a baseball field about a half mile from the tower, and the operator would let us come in a get a drink of water during the summer), I'm open to suggestions. I wasn't planning on modeling the toilet area which wouldn't be seen.

I made a sketch of what I think the ground floor may have looked like and will try to post it later. I still need to sketch out the tower area to see what can fit. Anyone have an idea of what mechanical equipment would be needed? I seem to remember hearing a compressor in there.

Bruce, I tried finding the photos you mentioned using the website search function and the photo library search without success. I haven't used the search functions before, and I'm probably doing something wrong. maybe you can point me in the right direction.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  12:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

I knew Bruce detailed the interior of a tower, and I found the thread for it here:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17069

And, as for the detail in my fan house....guilty, I went overboard. And, I am doing the same on my hoist house. ;-)

Chuck

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  2:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone --

I spent a chunk of time last night out at the MR club, working on the trolley bridge. It has been on (and off - and on - and off...) the layout for a couple of years and has been handled a lot by people other than me. So a fair amount of time was spent on repairs. Then I went looking for visible glue spots, construction flaws, opportunities to add details, etc. I added a lot of weeds and grass around the base of the steel, where it is surrounded by the "concrete" roadway.

Roger gave me some of the new Buffalo Grass from Scenic Express to try and I like the look of it a lot. I just wish there were more really small tufts on the sheet - a lot of them are pretty big for what I was doing.

I did some touch-up painting, shot some Dullcoat here and there, and chalked on a lot of rust and general grime.

I forgot to take my camera. I'll add pictures on a later edit.

I hope the evaluators like it.

Don

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  5:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck for that link. That's basically what I have in mind. Can't wait to see what you do with the hoist house. Getting a merit award isn't in question with your modeling. You should enter it at Hartford this summer.

Here's the floor plan I'm working from. Forgot the door for the storage area.

Based on where the doors were, I figured the stairs would have to be L-shaped and wide. I made these 4' wide.

I've been working on the bricks for several days. Tried my favorite method of a wash after painting them Mineral red. wasn't happy with that and tried Chuck's method. As the tower was built in 1952, this will be the newest building on my layout. I like Chuck's method for older buildings. So I tried the flour method discussed on the forum. Here it is.

I really like it.

I've added the interior walls which brings the project up to date.

Onto the door, windows, and trim.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  5:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic, Chuck! I like how the brickwork came out.

The plan is to enter the hoist house at Hartford....I just have to finish it, first! Ugh.

Chuck

Ken Hamilton
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  11:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Bruce. Sometimes AP requirements can be intimidating
if you don't look at them as a one-step-at-a-time journey.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  8:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone --

Chuck D - your project is looking really nice!

Just back home from the local NMRA meeting where I had some structures evaluated. I had three ready to go but we ran into a bit of a problem in that the two regular AP evaluators were both sent off to distant corners of the world by their employers on little or no notice.

Fortunately, there are other qualified judges/evaluators in the Division and they stepped in, but I wasn't the only person with models to be evaluated and we only had time to do two of my three. (The narrow gauge bridge on my FreeMo module will be evaluated when we all get together on March 21st for our Jamboree.)

For my sixth and last superdetailed kit, I submitted my kitbash of the Rusty Stumps "Hap Hazard's Hardware Store," which I turned into The Maine Trading Post. They liked it a lot and it scored more than well enough to qualify. (98 out of 125) I posted some details in the construction thread for that model.

For my second scratchbuild structure, I had the Connellsville Trolley Bridge evaluated and it also did quite well. (104 out of 125) I also gave the detailed score breakdown in that construction thread.

If all goes well, I should have everything done by the Jamboree and be able to move on to the Rolling Stock work.

Don

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000