Railroad Line Forums - SANTIAM PASS LITE!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Club Forums
 The Model Railroad Club Forum
 SANTIAM PASS LITE!
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Clubs in Minnesota? Topic Next Topic: Southern New Mexico N Scalers
Page: of 16

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  3:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The purpose of this thread will be to document the building of the SANTIAM PASS LITE,
Willamette Model Railroad Club's new and expanded HO layout,
featuring the COLUMBIA CASCADE AND WESTERN RAILROAD.

Following on the heels of TOPSY-TURVY?, this is the second thread, with at least one or more
additional threads planned for the future.

Please feel free to pick up and continue your thoughts, ideas and comments where TOPSY-TURVY? ended.

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Rick A
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  8:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have what could also be a wee bit more good news. The Chairwomen of the Clackamas County Commissioners has come out and said regarding this highway "I'm not sure it's enough bang for the buck--it's a lot of bucks". The chairwomen is a former highway engineer. She went on to say "State and federal standards prevent good planning, and encourage big, expensive highway's when smaller roads or other solutions would suffice.

The cost of this 4 1/2 mile highway is now beyond 1.3 billion. If it was at 1.3 billion, it would cost $55,000.00 a foot and $267,000,000.00 a mile.

The current stimulus package if it passes the senate would allocate Oregon 2 Billion dollars, $379 million would be for highway maintenance and projects. And according to one transportation offical, they would be "Small Projects".

Rick

Edited by - anbhurst on 02/06/2009 6:58:53 PM

Oliver W. Jr.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  10:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Oliver W. Jr.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. I was about to make a comment using the terms "bloated," "inefficient," and "out of touch with reality," but it might violate the "no politics" rule, so I'll just say I'm very glad you guys get to keep that incredible train room it took so long to build.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  12:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen, while I am sorry to see 'Topsy Turvy' sealed, it's also good to see this new thread start. As you know, I've been following your club's progress over the past few years and am so amazed at what you guys have accomplished. It will be fun to watch your layout come to life. It's also good to see that this highway project may never materialize! With all of that hopefully behind you, how about some pics of your progress in the club room. Your fans await!!!

Mark

Rick A
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  01:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark:

This Highway could still be a reality, don't know for sure. I'm just trying to look at the glass as half full.

Rick

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  01:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

. . .With all of that hopefully behind you, how about some pics of your progress in the club room. Your fans await!!!

To Mark & Others, . .I apologize for my extended lull-in-action here. I will endeavor to post updates regularly,
but due to several special projects which I must complete during 2009, my time will be somewhat limited until
further notice. So please, please, please be patient! Hopefully & eventually, things should get back to normal.

Also, I understand that one of our club members, Jan by name, will be providing some links in the future that
will enable those interested to access CAD drawings and possibly some other materials related to our building
process. Last night, Rick and I had the opportunity to look at these drawings and to share some observations.
These drawings are much more defined and detailed in content than the drawings posted back in
TOPSY-TURVY? .

So where do we begin?

Thanks to Dean and his electrical crew, the lighting installation has been completed. Compact florescent bulbs
rule along with a smattering of florescent tubes at the higher elevations where lighting valances grow short.
I think you will enjoy seeing how this project unwound.

Of course Dean would not have known where to go if it hadn't been for Rick and his mapping crew, and
Allen's magic laser level. Along the way, Rick's mapping crew and a few others integrated valance installa-
tion into their duties.

Below, While Rick looks on, Steve installs a plastic anchoring sleeve into the drywall.

Then he mounts a small wooden block to which the lighting valance will be fastened.

While Andy & Steve look on, it appears that Rick is following-through with a little
quality control of his own.

The last picture of this series shows how the system looks when assembled.

Allen

Edited by - anbhurst on 01/31/2009 02:25:11 AM

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  1:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shortly after installing a number of masonite valances (below), warpage was observed.
This resulted in their removal, and in giving them a generous coat of latex paint, before
continuing.

Next, light deflectors were given a try to reduce side/end glare. I haven't heard whether
these will be left in place or replaced with a more permanent type. Also note in the back-
ground that the installation of visquene to the outer, upper walls has begun. This should
provide us with a good moisture barrier, and eliminate potential drafts.

Yes, . .These are 'L' girders resting vertically, but they are not a part of the bench work.
After installation with a nail-gun, their purpose will be to provide a stand-off foundation
for mounting the backdrops to.

Below, the last picture of this sequence is of Steve as he calks the valance cracks and
openings.

More to follow!

Allen

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  6:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Below, as the valances are completed, the 'ebb'. . .

and 'flow' of the room is beginning to come together.

Below, to the left and standing on a chair, Rick assists Steve in caulking the cracks
in the valances as Norm (in the foreground) and Keith rip boards for 'L' girders.

At the same time, Frank (left) and Allen #2 (not me) install wooden strips to which
the visquene barrier will be affixed in our old adjacent layout room.

Across the way in the clubhouse workroom, Dean improvises from the Fast Tracks system
to build a crossing of his design.

That's about it for this go-round.

Each time I visit the club, I marvel at how well things are coming together. The 'benchwork boys'
are about to shift gears and move at a much more rapid pace. Hopefully, before long, Dean's cross-
ing will be laid.

Allen

tankertoad70
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  1:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice update Allen. How did the swap meet pan out for you guys?

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  1:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tankertoad70
. . .How did the swap meet pan out for you guys? . .

Don, Thanks for the compliment. Preliminary figures (around $2500) indicate that we were more successful
than last year's swapmeet. That's good news as we need the funding to maintain a vigorous building program.

I hope to see ya on Saturday.

Allen

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  9:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somehow I missed your previous updates. Great shots. I'm impressed that you've completed the lighting and valences BEFORE any benchwork! Now that's planning!!! Looks great.

Mark

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  04:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

. . .I'm impressed that you've completed the lighting and valences BEFORE any benchwork! Now that's planning!!! Looks great.

Mark, . .Thanks for your response. The appearance of the layout rooms will change in the near future
as we are planning a work-day on the 28th to paint both the lit and unlit sides of the valences. I will
try to take and to post some pictures of that event.

Allen

Rick A
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  12:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quick up-date, we are inching ever closer to starting the benchwork. A wall has been erected to enclose the Mole (Staging) area.

I need to talk to our member that did the CAD drawing of the plan to post a link to that drawing so those that have not been following along since the beginning can get an idea of where we are in the project.

Rick

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  10:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having had the pleasure of visiting during the NNGC back in Sept. I can now fully appreciate the progress you guys have made. This is going to be IMO one of the premier clubs and I can't wait to visit again. Wish I was closer. Looking good! Jerry

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  6:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry M

. . .Wish I was closer. Looking good! Jerry

Thanks for the compliments, Jerry, and you're always welcome to come and see us.
Here's a pictorial update on what's happening.

Our first set of photos has to do with the mole/staging room.

Below, looking through the main entrance door, a wall has been added to separate the mole/
staging area from the rest of the layout:

Below, the new wall (right), and the end and side walls (to the left), wrap themselves
around the heating and hot-water plants:

Below, major staging will take place along this South wall. Notice a small tunnel at the end!

Above and below, as Max (Agent 86) used to say in the Get Smart series,
. . . . . . . . . .'Missed it by that much!'
After drilling the perfect hole a few months back, we recently discovered
that our future roadbed was significantly higher.
Have no fear though; the backdrops will save our bacon!

Below, far right, at the other end of the staging room, and in the corner surrounded
by sewage pipes, our new helix will find its home:

Across from the helix and close to the opening in the new wall (below, far left),
the planned Eastbound main will find its way (tunnel) out of the staging room.

Allen

Edited by - anbhurst on 03/29/2009 7:10:22 PM

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  8:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The next area involves the building of a helix.

Below, thanks to Dean and his employer, we are using a Kreg jig to pre-drill
our helix sections.

Below are three assembled sections. When all the sections have been completed and stacked,
they will be drilled for their respective threaded rods.

The next two pictures reveal the flexibility of using this system.

Allen

Edited by - anbhurst on 03/29/2009 8:56:30 PM

Page: of 16 Previous Topic: Clubs in Minnesota? Topic Next Topic: Southern New Mexico N Scalers  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000