Railroad Line Forums - Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 55

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  1:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
This is the site detailing the construction of the Carrie Creek. The basic framing is simple box ladder frames modules screwed together sitting on a ledge board and contained with cleats. The peninsula sits on a couple of L-girders screwed to the ledge with legs. The shelves have legs angled back down to the baseboard.

Oops I see that I didn't put any measurements in if this is a problem i'll repost the pic.
Does anybody see anything wrong with the basic framing? There are 7 modules plus the liftout across the doorway.
Thanks, Phil
Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  11:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a image with measurements.

When you get in a hurry things get missed.
Phil

Phil Z

Edited by - Bbags on 12/24/2008 2:56:35 PM

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  11:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here is the final track plan. The orginal is posted on my cclc lites thread.
I have pondered this long enough and need to start building.

Phil

Phil Z

Edited by - Bbags on 12/24/2008 2:58:17 PM

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrie,

Looks like a very nice track plan. You have done a good job of adding some switching and can be treated as a point to point or continous run.

I am assuming that the wall with the river your wanting to put numerous bridges that cross the river. I am not sure what scale you are working in but that might be hard to pull off in HO within the 11' length.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  10:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting plan,Phil are you not worried about the 3.5% grades? I know in true logging much steeper grades were used but our little reality seems to not love much above 2%. Just a question to see if this has been explored. Pat

Edited by - Bbags on 12/24/2008 2:54:42 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  10:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil,
I added the link to this thread in the members building layouts thread as an extra incentive to get you building.
You can find it here.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22362

I also like the layout plan but I do agree with Tim that the 4 bridges might be difficult to do.
I have found through experience that sometimes what I draw on paper does not work that well when I actually start laying track.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  1:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil-

This is my "sub-benchwork"

You can see how similar it is to your plan. The difference between what you are doing and what I am doing is that I did not want the fascia to have to be dictated by a "band" across the front of the joists. So I put 1 x 2 firring strips flat on the top of the benchwork shown in the photo, and attached joists directly to the 1 x 2s. This allowed me to cut the joists varying lengths, so the front fascia will be constantly curving.

My suggestion to you would be to have a "stringer" connect the noses of all the angled supports coming up from the baseboard. Make this stringer the same height as the one you show close to the wall. That way, you can use cleats to attach your box construction benchwork both close to the wall and close to the fascia. If you are using "stick" construction for your box frames, you need to prevent them from warping over time. Cleating them to the support structure at the front and back should do the trick.

I like your trackplan. Looks like a fun layout to operate. Sorry it has taken my so long to respond to your lime kiln post.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Visit my Piedmont & East Blue Ridge Railroad
http://www.eastblueridge.com

Edited by - quarryman on 12/15/2008 1:16:06 PM

NBTrainDude
New Hire

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  1:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice benchwork Mark! That looks very similar to the benchwork I had in Ohio, before I moved to Fla then NB.

I can see that picture lol.

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  3:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading Mark's (quarryman) post on my outside supports I got to thinking (sorry Tom,) and while driving last nite I came up with this idea.

Is this something like you had in mind Mark?
One of my problems is that my work bench fits under the Hiddenbury module. So I need head room when bending over and not hit my head when sitting back up. but still low enough so that the layout isn't too high. My switching module is 48" to the bottom of the frame and that works pretty good.

Pat and Tim,
I am not understanding what it is about the 4 bridges that have you wondering. They will be 1 or 2 span small trestles. So I will have to lay that area out full size and see if it all fits.
Sounds like I will have some weather on my drive tonight so I'll close and go to bed.

Edit
Here is a pic I took out of my "office window" morning of the 17th @ 7:20am.

I see I had some salt runnels in the way

Phil

Phil Z

Edited by - Carrie Creek on 12/26/2008 8:11:19 PM

Mainframer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  5:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil has way too much time when he is driving allowing him to do all that thinking. Tonight he will have to pay more attention due to the nasty weather. That truck doesn't drive it's self all the time. Like the leg design. Looks like plenty of support and out of the way unlike my vertical legs.
Tom

Mainframer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  1:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See guys, I told you the truck could drive it's self. Phil, the road looks nice and clean, sure wish my street looked the same. A couple of days and it will all be gone. Tom

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  2:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually there are two buttons on the dash one says KC and the other says Wichita I just have to remember to push the right one
Tom, There was a sheen of dampness to the road all night and on the way to KC from Topeka I lost traction a coulpe of times just enough to make it squirrel around a little but then I had maybe all of 1000# of mail in the trailer. I left most of my weight in your fair city.
Phil

Phil Z

NBTrainDude
New Hire

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  2:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and I do really like that trackplan Phil!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  4:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip, I've just discovered this thread and I want to tell you that I find your layout plan excellent. It offers excellent scenic opportunities, in particular the many bridges required by the twinning of the track and the river will be both a pleasure to see and to build. Operation looks interesting too.
I'm just a bit reluctant about the narrow top modules with the track and the river. There's really not a lot of room for a background there and you may find difficult to model a convincing one. I think that if you could add a few inches, that would greatly help you to get a better transition between 3D scenery and the backdrop.

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  2:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, sorry about taking so long to reply
I am hoping that I can pull the transition off. I would like to have the trees, river and track all intertwine so that the trees are used like veiw blocks Lots of foreground trees to make.
I am glad that you like the plan. I won't tell how many years or designs it took to get here.
Tossi stone might still get revised againsee post in the design forum.
John, Pat, and Tim,
Here again I'm hoping to pull it off. If I can't get the 4 bridges in there we will have to make wider curves and less crossings.
Phil

Phil Z

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  3:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moderator note
If anyone wonders why I have edited many of Phil's posts it is because we were trying to help someone who was having a problem viewing Phil's pictures.

Since that problem is solved I deleted these posts so that this thread could be about Phil's new layout.

So Phil, did you start building the benchwork yet.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Page: of 55 Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000