Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

Munch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  1:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent link, Jos. I will have to bookmark that one.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  07:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, the link will be very helpful for trying to shape future trees, still trying to find some of the type of filter material you used and not having much luck. Might start looking for an alternative, rope fibers with some WS netting material perhaps? I have one more petshop to visit next weekend when we go see our friends in PA and after that will let you know if I found something.
I have straightened the branches and added the second and third coats of glue and sawdust, because of the colder weather its been taking two days for it to dry fully between coats. Pat

Munch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  08:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat, have you tried pet shops, aquarium/fish shops?

rfmicro
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  09:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jos,

I used some basswood doweles to make the tree trunk using a rasp to quickly whittle it down and taper the trunk. I thyen drilled holes in the trunk for the wire branches. I then went over the trunk and branches with glue as you recommended and built up the trunk and branches. I used the blue polyfil cut into small lengths, but when I sprinkled them on the branches with the glue they attached every which way. Unless I placed each blue fiber individually on the tree branch, there was no way the blue fibers were going to attach to the treee branch correctly.

What an I doing wrong?

Regards,

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  5:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Belg/Pat, I think, like Munch wrote: try to look in aquariumshops They must have, or at least know, about that stuff...maybe not in the same color(s) but it exists in USA too!
I don't know if the woodland netting will work( I think it is to thin!) in the way I add the fibers on the branches butit is worth trying and than You have to do it like the "Woodland Scenics way"...
rfmicro
I do not know exactly what you mean but of course the fibers will not be glued like real twigs/branches...yes some will be glued like you said: every wich way..but important is not to glue to much fibers!! less is more
Did you cut them( fibers) smaller than 1 cm( about 2/5 inch)because this is important : not to big/large pieces of fibers.
only spray the glue at/on the outside of the twigs !
here an example of a HO tree with the lightblue colored thin aquariumfibers:

another one with brown fibers( bought in a flowershop just before christmas last year as a product to use in christmas decorations!!

Important is: when done the fibers: add also some very fine grassfibers over the aquariumfibers!
like overhere at this tree:

Hope it will help you both a litlle bit further to make beautiful trees tooon your layout!

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/13/2011 5:25:01 PM

rfmicro
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  5:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jos,

In looking at those beautiful examples above, it almost looks like you layer the poly fil on the branches. Mine just fall on the branches and sit there in a clump. Do you then spray glue the poly fil and then add more poly fil repeating the process until you get the fullness of the branches that yo0u are looko9ng for? That is the only way I can see this working. AND yes I did cut the Poly Fil into small pieces, a half inch or less. The poly fil I am using still clumps together after being cut to the correct size. So Iam not sure if that is correct or not as it does not appear adequate for sprinkling onto the glue soaked wire branches as individual pieces. Perhaps my individual wire branches are too small, I'll try to get a photo or two to show you what I mean.

Regards,

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  5:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Trent,

I think the problem will be that the fibers you use are to thin....
I too have to help to model the shape with my fingers and or tweezers! specialy when using the very fine/thin filterfibers.
I never use filterfibers used in kitchenventilators(??) these are to small/thin for this purpose...
Yes indeed: some pictures posting can be usefull to see what went "wrong"
I let the cutted fibers fall carefuly , starting at the top, and by tipping against the trunk/groundpin the fibers will slowly fall down over the other lower branches...

Jos

victor_creek_models
New Hire

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  2:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, Your trees are by far the BEST I've seen in my 40 years in modeling....simply incredible !
Thank you very much for the tutorial and I can't wait to try this out. I only hope mine turn out HALF as good as yours !
...ever thought about selling your trees in the USA ???

Jerry

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  6:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry!
quote:
ever thought about selling your trees in the USA ???

many times but posting it/shipping it to usa will rise the price of one HO tree ( 8-10 inches) to over USA$ 25-30 at least!!!
Now I "sell" some trees just for fun it is still a hobby you know but it is getting , sometimes, out of control!! lol
I do want to have some time left to make some scenery for my/our N scale modules about the south of our country! something like this...made last year...:

Jos

victor_creek_models
New Hire

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  7:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say is AWESOME...You've captured the natural look of trees, and shrubs to where you can almost smell them.

If you have more pictures of your modules, I'm certain that everyone here would absolutely love to see them !

Jerry

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  5:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This last scene featuring a farm in the country is really very nice, Jos.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  5:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry , et merci beaucoup Frederic!!
btw Frederic tell your friends on the french USA mrr forum( http://us.leforum.eu/t2659-Des-arbres-sensationnels.htm ) I also do other things than only making trees in my career as mrr!! lol
making Scenery is my favorite!!
I did tried to answer in your(french) language but it took me to much time( an hour!) to even write 3 or 4 sentences in your language! pff so well I did it already right now overhere...
And thanks Frederic to show the trees on "your"french mrrforum overthere!
well here some other pictures( with a lot of green stuff) in N scale:
My dream castlein N scale:

N pergola with roses

view over an ancient church( Klimmen) from 1200 AC

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 03/24/2009 6:12:11 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  6:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, these are very romantic scenes, the castle, the pergola...
You know, there would not really be problems if you posted a message in English on the French forum since many members read quite enough English, and are able to understand that not everybody speaks French.
I was glad to show your trees to my friends since they are so outstanding.
BTW, I've tried to email the Nederlands store you referred to in one of your threads (to buy polyfiber) and never got an answer. Do you know if they are still in business?

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  6:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frédéric,

Thanks

quote:
BTW, I've tried to email the Nederlands store you referred to in one of your threads (to buy polyfiber) and never got an answer.

Hang on frederic.... I will check it out tomorrow right away!

Jos

ps: I did send her an e-mail this evening so we'll have to wait...... otherwise I will make a phone call!!!!!

Edited by - scotchpine on 03/24/2009 6:51:20 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  6:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Jos.

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000