Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: drailz22 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  11:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, this is my first effort using some copper 24 gauge wire which does not look bad but is too flimsy to hold the other things that need to be added, my next effort I will use some floral wire which I believe is steel core and seems to be alot firmer to hold the scenery material. Let me know what you think? Pat

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  1:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jos
Thank you or posting a terrifically detailed and documented tutorial. There is a ton of information and techniques to learn and work on.
Peter

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  1:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your a natural talent Pat!

I think the frame you've made , the first ever with this method/technic, isn't bad at all!
Actualy it is a frame of a weeping willow isn't it?
Did you use a thick wire as a core of the trunk or did you take a "bunch" of wires....'cause if not, it is difficult to length the trunk and add more branches to it.( making the trunk longer/making the whole tree higher.
I think you know what I am trying to say/write and this , the frame you are showing in the picture, is just"the first try"!
to be short: you've got the talent Pat!
When using the steel floristic wires you will see that the frame will become much stronger, specialy when using the superglue on the wires that are twisted around the thick wire of the trunk( core of the trunk)

he he, now its ME who wants to see more pictures of the results/progress of making your trees! lol

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/28/2008 1:17:41 PM

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  1:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
peterpools :
quote:
Thank you or posting a terrifically detailed and documented tutorial

thanks Peter
Your welcome sir!

Jos

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  3:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, thank you for the favorable revue of the first tree and yes it was for a weeping willow, the second attempt is for an oak and the steel wire has made a big difference.
The first one was made without a center core and the second I did use a solid core, I find it a little easier to use the center core and now just have to remember to leave enough at the bottom for the roots.
Here are both trees after the first application of sawdust. Pat

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  4:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's very nice, Pat. I'll have to try my hand at this technique too.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  4:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pat,

ohhw sweet memories! lol
exactly how I started to make the frames for 2 years!

About the roots: I'll try to post a small how to- to make/add the roots on the bottom of the trunk at the end of this week....so you don't have to model the roots first, you can add them afterwards..!! no problem..
May be next step is to use a thinner wire( core wire? ) and glue the wires with superglue: it will give the trunk more strength. Also you can make/model the trunk from wide on the bottom to small/thin at the top . I use a cheap superglue to do this( 4 X 3 ml for only 1/2 a dollar/euro!! and for each tree you use only some( big ;-) ) drops.....
may be also bend the twigs( ends of the wires) to the outside ot the shape of the tree....as if they ALL are pointing out from the hart of the trunk.In real they are placed like that because it is the most economic way to get /reach the light the atmost!!( yes there are always some exeptions but mostly they are placed in that way ;-) )
please continue! =)

Jos

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  5:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, what sort of superglue do you use? The thick one or the liquid one? I guess it's the thick one, but want to be sure.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  5:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, I use the liquid one because it 'creeps' easily between the tied twisted wires!!

Jos
ps: that's why I wrote: drops of...;-)

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/28/2008 5:29:21 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  5:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad guess...
Thanks for the answer, Jos. This is one of the clearest tutorials I have ever seen about making trees from wire and fiber.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 09/28/2008 5:53:56 PM

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  6:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, could you perhaps take my picture into Paint program like I did and draw in the changes your talking about? I want to know where the differences are so I don't keep repeating them for two years. I don't have that much patience, I think my core wire looks too fat because I wrapped two wires around it from top to bottom to help hide it, in doing so I made the base wire appear fatter than it really is. Thanks for any help, Pat

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  3:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well first the drawing how to add the wires to imm. the roots at the bottom of the trunk.
I just cut of the pin at less than 1 inch and put it in a evergreen tube that can contain the groudpin+ a bunch of wires wich will be the future roots by twisting them by 2 or 3 wires together...

Here a pic how it looks in real but upside down..

When the frame is ready:

and when covered and modelled with the sawdust( many layers!! : + painting and some weathering+ using a real small broken branch from a tree from out my garden...

Pat I will make a picture/drawing how I make a "thin" trunk asap!

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/13/2011 5:24:01 PM

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  2:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, thanks alot for the next installment of the how to and I thought for sure you were
going to just add clay putty to the bottom and then add the sawdust technique over that.
I'm think I understand now what your saying about the branches, they should be straight
out from the trunk and the filter material will represent all the little ones going in all
different directions? Do you think that I should bring the sawdust further up the branches
to cover all the twists or won't that really be seen after paint and foam leaf application?
Look forward to the next installment. Pat

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  5:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Pat , your right about this:
quote:
I should bring the sawdust further up the branches
to cover all the twists

I try to cover almost each twisted branch/twig once with sawdust.I hate to see them.... specialy on pictures !
The parts that are not twisted, the ends of the wires , those parts I dont cover with the fine sawdust. they have to look like twigs
The thicker the branch, the more layers of sawdust you have to add/glue!!that simpel!
The difficulty is: not to make to thick trunks and branches...
Only very old weathered oaks or so do have sucha trunks/branches....

quote:
I understand now what your saying about the branches, they should be straight
out from the trunk and the filter material will represent all the little ones going in all
different directions?

yes, that's it! but in the beginning try to avoid to use to much small filterfiberparts on the twigs( well: the to the outside of the shape of the tree pointed wires)
I had to make about say: >10 trees or so before I had the right" intensity" of the amount of fibers to be glued on the twigs....
Just experiment with the fibers/grassfibers with or without...dense- or just very transparant.

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/30/2008 5:17:28 PM

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  6:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a kind of "guidance" about the shape of the tree and how the branches are 'planted'on the trunk, the density of twigs etc. etc.
here is a site were you can find some silhouettes from wintertrees:( +other nice stuff!)
http://www.barrule.com/workshop/Extras/extras-real%20tree%20silhouette.htm

Jos

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000