Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 291 ]  [ Total: 293 ]  [ Newest Member: rstrats ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: fixing Diamond Scale Turntable Topic Next Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction
Page: of 49

tx28
New Hire

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  06:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit tx28's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now how do I add the fibers and leaves? What fibers? Is a static grass applicator used?

Gary G.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  5:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Gary,

The long "wig"fibres for a Birch are added by hand!
Also the 12 mm and the 2 mm. Not Litteraly but I use a strainer to spread the 12 mm regular.
Blow them aal with a hairblower down and finaly the leaves....also from out/with a strainer

Jos

tx28
New Hire

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  10:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit tx28's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On page 3 you show a group of armatures. http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23011&whichpage=3

The birch has some thick branches coming off the main trunk. They do not look like the single loops shown in the tutorials.

How were these thick branches made?

Thank you.

Gary G.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  2:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oke now I see...
Yes those birchtrees are made yeeeears ago.
Specialy for the smaller/younger ones one wire will do!
In H0 scale ,when using 0,35mm or 0,4 mm diameter, you can use 2 wires. My experience when using 0,6 mm diameter in H0 one wire will do!( 0,6 plus primer plus paint= 0,8 mm at the end so in real: about +6cm! so a "small" branch!
Btw just make a start and look for yourselve what the result(s) will be!
Just make a part of the tree: a branch and add some fibres...do this with different lengts of fibres.
So 5 or 7 "test"branches to find out how these Fibres "behave"/ look

Jos

tx28
New Hire

Posted - 01/23/2020 :  03:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit tx28's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been making test branches for scots pine using a barbecue skewer for the core. I can make a half dozen simple branches in a short time.

On them I have been testing strands from a wig, flax, hemp and human hair. So far the human hair is easiest to handle and looks best. And it is free. The barber shop and hair dresser have an unending supply.

I wash hair in an ultrasonic cleaner with dish detergent. It pulls out the lanolin and makes it easy to keep the strands separate. Wash it as you wish. Boiling it in soapy water is an option.

Plumbers flax is dipped in a mix of acrylic paint pigment and water. I get the pigment in small bottles at the building supply. It makes the flax easy to work.

And for anyone making bottle brush trees or bushes as well as trees shown in this thread, cut short strands of hemp rope and put them in boiling water. They straighten right out. No need to untwist and comb. Boil, dry, cut.

The strands of flax and hemp may also be useful on birch and willow. That I will test once I perfect my scots pines.

The pines I want to make will, in HO scale, replicate those on the edge of a pine forest where my wife's parents live. There is a mix of 20 meter, or so, pines and birch. Some are in the front yard and some across the dirt access road. I will sit on the porch and try to duplicate a bunch of them.

Maybe tilting at windmills. But that is what a lot of modeling is about.

Gary G.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2020 :  4:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ Gary G:
quote:
There is a mix of 20 meter, or so, pines and birch.

I have relatives/friends living in Kobylin and there are also alot!! of scots pine and birches!! so beautiful and BIG ones!
Please show some pictures from your - modelling- work!

jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 01/23/2020 4:57:10 PM

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2020 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A "winter"tree H0 about 20 cm/8 inches
by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/153065234@N07/]Jos Geurts[/url], on Flickr

2 0 scale trees, 10-12 inches
[/url]populieren 0 scalen[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/153065234@N07/]Jos Geurts[/url], on Flickr

and grandpoa trying to find his wallet again...
Jos Geurts, on Flickr

Jos

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: fixing Diamond Scale Turntable Topic Next Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000