Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  7:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite alright Jos, those letters have got me into trouble more than twice. Not sure they come out right on every computer. Sometimes I have seen the letter disappeared altogether, like Hkan. Appreciated that you found them (thanks Bob!).
Great looking tree Jos, and thank you for showing the steps. I went for the 12mm directly then the 6mm. Not half as good looking as yours but still beat the commercial trees.
My biggest problem is to not add to much foliage. I try to use your less is more approach but it is hard

Håkan

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/08/2016 :  7:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more of the same type of trees...

some big shrubs:

Jos

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  04:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos,
If you press the "Alt" key on your keyboard and meanwhile type "0229" on the numeric pad, the letter "å" will appear when you release the alt key.

This being said, your trees are still wonderful and a great source of inspiration. Thanks for your ongoing share of them.

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  1:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After seeing this thread on here and another forum, I thought it was time to give it a bit of a read. Unfortunately, I can't see most of the pictures in the first part but was able to see most pics later on. Jos, you're trees are fantastic to say the least. I will be trying this technique when my time comes to start a layout. I don't know if an American source was ever found for the fiber that you use, but I know of something that seems to be really suitable for this purpose.
https://www.barzsprayboothsupplies.com/Product/Spray-Booth-Filter-Media/20x100-14-Gram-Spray-Booth-Filter-Media-Roll
This stuff comes in a roll about 50' long. It is used in the autobody industry as exhaust filter material. If you call around to any bodyshop near you and explain what you need they will probably sell you a piece. You can also ask them to save a roll end for you.( It comes a bit longer than needed and the end usually gets discarded). When this stuff is cut up, I am sure it will work the same as the stuff you use. It sure looks the same.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  6:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic!
And I "finished" my quest to that small o...on my keyboard I have to type: AltGr and the W = å tadaa....It gives me sooo much joy to discover this( not any more) small secret!

Thanks too Ronald !
But using this type of fibers ?
I read it was/is made of fiberglass. The fibers have to be made of synthetic materials!
besides that I think it is not that healthy?

Jos

chooch.42
Section Hand

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  7:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, Hello ! Just a thought...fiberglass workers (auto-body, home insulation, etc.) are advised to wear full-coverage clothing, gloves, goggles and filter-masks to avoid inhalation and perforation injuries, particularly when separating, abrading or spreading dry (no resin applied) fibers. Think I would avoid the fiberglass. Bob C.

RonInIdaho
New Hire

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  08:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received a couple of pieces of this stuff used to pad an item I bought on ebay. While it appears to be fiberglass, it doesn't shed fibers and is soft and spongy to the touch, not raspy and prickly like building insulation. I think I'll give my little 5x5 two tone blue/white pads a try.

quote:
Originally posted by chooch.42

Jos, Hello ! Just a thought...fiberglass workers (auto-body, home insulation, etc.) are advised to wear full-coverage clothing, gloves, goggles and filter-masks to avoid inhalation and perforation injuries, particularly when separating, abrading or spreading dry (no resin applied) fibers. Think I would avoid the fiberglass. Bob C.

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  11:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While this stuff may be made of fiberglass, it is not like the fiberglass used in the auto body industry. This is very similar to what is found in furnace filers, but is not as stiff and thick. It is held together a lot looser than furnace filters as well. I cut some up into about 1mm length. I wanted to see if it gets air born like regular fiberglass. When you blow on it, it just falls straight down and does not get air born. Regular fiberglass will float around in the air for a long time. It then settles on your skin and makes you itch, because the fibers are so fine. They can also go right through a dust mask and into your lungs. I can rub this stuff on my skin and it does nothing because the fibers are much thicker. I think the health risks are minimal, but as far as how useful it is for making trees, I have no idea, but will give it a try and see what happens.Ron

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  04:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have no idea, but will give it a try and see what happens.Ron

And...any results so far?

I continued with the "artificial"fibres:the 12, 6and 2 mm grasfibres from NOCH :
Trees during wintertime( Still no snow overhere!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  08:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So nice...

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  11:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl.

Jos

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  12:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
presentationdiorama finaly completed/ready!with some H0 pinetrees

Jos

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  1:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There appears to be some kind of magic going on here. Not sure what it is'. But these trees are just too real looking to be models'..

Ted

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  1:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uitstekend!!

chooch.42
Section Hand

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  2:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just stunning, Jos...you out-do yourself...again !

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000