Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Construction of the new PRR Northern Division Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  1:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
making the foliage:

You need aquariumfilters for making the foliage.
I bought some in a well sorted aquariumshop where you can buy this kind of "filtermedium"
May be also in shops that sell stuff that is needed in/at gardenponds.I had to search some days too before I knew were to buy it!
There are , roughly, 3 kinds of filterfibers:
the white ones, on wich I think they are to thin/not strong enough for our purpose.
The light green ones. These fibers are exellent for N as HO scale .
and the blue ones. These fibers are more thick/tough than the light green ones so only using it in HO scale or big shrubs in N and HO scale scale
here are some pictures of the fibers I use:
the thick blue ones:

detail:

the lightgreen ones:

Last year just before Xmas I "discovered" these colored fibers in the same strengt as the blue ones:

detail:

To add the fibers on the frames you have to use
-sprayglue that produces a fine ( mist) of spray
-a l a r g e shoebox to collect the cutted fibers
-sharp siccors
paint out of a spraycan when using the lightgreen fibers.
and a even a larger box as the shoebox to "collect" the sprayglue that is spraying besides the frames when adding the sprayglue....

Firts start to cut the fibers in very smal pieces: about max. 1/2 inch, collect them in the shoebox without pressing them...just let them fall in it.
If cutted an amount of fibers that is enough to cover the future tree, take the frame in one hand and in the other the can with sprayglue. Hold the frame in front of the open(!!)BIGcardboardbox( using the BIG cardboardbox as a collecter for the spray that will go besides the frames)
Spray with short intervals over the frame and ONLY at the outsides/top of the twigs. This needs a little practice but you will learn it fast!
during the short "shots'of sprayglue turn,by holding the groundpin betweeen your fingers,the frame slowly.
Right after this go to the box with the collected fibers and take them carefully without squeezing them in your hand and let them fall from some inches from the top, on the frame. By tipping against the trunk/groundpin the fibers will fall down over the twigs and in the shoebox again.
If no more fibers will fall down, twist the frame between your fingers like a carousel so the fibers that were still loose/nor glued will be thrown away( so dont try/do this in Mrs 'kitchen or livingroom)
Now comes the difficult part:
modeling the fibers: I mean taking away the fibers wich are glued on the wrong place or remove to much fibers by siccors or tweezer.
also a small short haired brush dipped in terpintin( that solves the glue!) can be useful to undo the branches and trunk from fibers.
It took me about a week to learn this "skill" so please : be patient! don't give up!
Like almost everything in life : LESS IS MORE !!
here some examples:

I carefuly spray the fibers with the same blackboard spray as I did with the twigs and bottom of the trunk, without spraying/touching the white trunk/branches with the blackboardspray....
[URL=http://i.picoodle.com/e97hsc88][/URL]

Jos..

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/13/2011 5:19:32 PM

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  04:50:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I had to write this on top of this thread but thought: better late then never...
Before starting to make trees for your layout it is , of course, important to have feedback by watching the trees in real or today also the many many pictures of trees on the internet!
I often visit: www.fotocommunity.de ( sooooo many beautiful pictures about nature men art , everything you almost can imagine!)
Specialy when making a kind of tree for the first time it will be helpfull during the process of modeling the frame and the intensity of the foliage.
Back to the birch.
The birch with its black collered fibers is now ready.
Now comes the part where the fun starts..
First shape the crown of the tree by cutting the fibers that "grow" the wrong direction. Also make some vertical cuts in to dense clusters of fibers like shown in the piture:

How dense the fibers has to be is a case of try and error And a matter of taste, I think.
When finished the tuning of the shape of the tree add some fine grass fibers by using gluespray.
Spray carefully only on the outside of the shape of the tree and add some fine grassfibers with a kitchensieve.

When done , tip againt the trunk and the loose fibers will fall down . Use again a brush dipped in terpintin to remove the fibers on spots where they don't belong.
here is a picture of the added fine grassfibers( sorry it is not the birch...)

Now comes the "moment supreme"..adding the leaves.
I used for this tree NOCH leaves art. nr.: 07140 and 07142( in USA Woodland Scen.)
For an other birch tree I used my own made leaves. ( made from colored fine sawdust).
Adding the leaves is easy:
Spray the tree carefuly and only at the outside of the fibers(!) with glue and direct after that
Take a large kitchen sieve and shake it so the leaves will fall on the fibers .Hold the tree in an angle of 45 degres and turn it slowly while shaking the sieve. Put an empty shoebox beneath it to collect the leaves that weren't "abssorbed" by the tree.
Be careful...don't add to many leaves..less is more
The result(s):

detailed:

A birch with "sawdust" leaves:

also a detailed pic of it:

Finaly I spray the tree at least twice with matte varnish to eliminate the gluespray so that it can be easier to remove/blow away the dust on the trees after some? time...

Jos

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking trees and looks like a real easy way of making them , I can't wait to try some.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  07:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When making 45 trees like these they could look like the ones on these pic.:

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/13/2011 5:14:05 PM

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  07:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the fine tutorial! Really shows what can be gained from studying the real trees instead of just copying other's flaws!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

segunda_aguada
New Hire

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  10:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see segunda_aguada's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jos,
I've never seen anything like this...; absolutely fantastic trees, great technique and careful finish.
And the general view if your circuit looks awesome. Nice to see some European material as well ;-)
Congratulations; a model to follow.
Rgds,

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  11:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Antonio,

BUT I've only made the( many ) trees on this beautiful layout!
Have a look overhere: www.MO187.de
Wish I had that space and a layout that superb!!

Jos

rrkreitler
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  12:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding!

Thank you for taking the time to post the "how to". Your trees are some of the best I have ever seen. It so happens I need some Birches for an upcoming project. I will be giving your method a try.

Thanks,
Dave K in NB

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  1:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, this german layout is really beautiful and features some magnificent trees. Did you make all of them?

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  2:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Dave and Antonio.

yes I made all of them, in fact I am still making them. In november I have to finish the last order for this public layout..pffff
But I've showed only HO trees..it is possible in any scale..
Myself got some N scale modules and I "plant" also many trees on our members 'modules of our N scalemodulegroup.
Like this small tree close to a farm:

or 2 populars( Italien)

Or some scotch pines "on the rocks"

finaly my 'nickname'the scotchpine( grove den in dutch language) in scale N...

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/22/2008 2:25:31 PM

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  4:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Jos, I really appreciate the entire how to and think that I understand the basic idea but the above tree still has me scratching my head, do you use an extension of the branch tutorial you first gave use and just build out from there again and again? Pat

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  10:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pat,

I am a litlle confused/don't understand the question you asked: You mean to make the branches longer and with more twigs( = cutted loops)???

Jos

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  5:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, what I wanted to know was,are the areas I colored in red made from one continuous piece of wire, with loops left in there that you then twist and form the extra branches from or are you adding extra wire somewhere along the way to get the extra branch structure? Hope you get what I mean, Veel bedankt, Pat

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  03:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed Pat.
I use an extra third wire to lengthen the branches. If even longer or more twigs: add some more smaller/shorter wires as shown in the ( hope it makes sense? ) drawing...

and to make largr/thicker branches just add a wire at the trunk. twist/turn it one around the thick"trunkwire"and add again a new wire...:

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/24/2008 03:46:16 AM

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  7:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, now I got it thanks alot the pictures really helped great tutorial, Pat

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Construction of the new PRR Northern Division Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000