Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

chooch.42
Section Hand

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  6:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful, Jos...these trees (in fact your whole nature-scape) look every bit as real as the ones I look at from my deck. Must go back through your thread(s) for the "How-to". Thanks for showing me / us what is possible / do-able. Bob

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  8:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a program to resize the photo but isn't there a special way of adding it to the message??

The kit included some wires which I believe were some sort of florists wires but there are covered with a fibery sort of material not smooth - not plastic. The instructions said to twist the wires and when part way up start separating some and twisting them separately and making them into branches. You will see what I have done if I can find out how to post the photo.

Angela

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  9:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well, I found the instructions on inserting the photo so here it is. I have put the putty like plaster over the wire frame. Sorry, I meant to take a photo of just the wires but I forgot...

Angela

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  11:38:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Craig and Bob! =)

Hello Angela,

I'm a litlle bit concerned about the shape of the branches/twigs...it looks like the tree did not know where to grow to..
I mean: mostly up to the sunlight ...but this tree looks like he cannot make up his mind ;-)
I think,even for O scale trees, you may/can use wires a litlle bit mor "slimm"/thin"......it all depends , of course, what kind of foliage you'll use on these wires/twigs?
Btw use caulk for adding/making/modelling the bark...so easy and flexible!
Add some acrylpaint to the caulk/ modellingpaste and put it on the trunk and branches with a soft small brus.
The last layer of this material has to be add with a stiffer shorthaired small brush so you can imm. the bark with the stiff strings of hair of the brush!
Or make a small reek(?) out of some floristic wires and pull it softly over the , still wett, paste/caulk.

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 03/12/2014 11:41:31 AM

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  12:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I changed the shapes/positions of some of the branches so now it doesn't look quite so "desparate"....and yes looks a lot better as they are pointing more to the sun...

The mixture I made up to cover it with (the brown color) is made of glue, paint and water and some of the putty stuff. The branches are a lot more flexible now and the stuff doesn't drop off.

Now, you say caulk - any particular kind? Do you just use caulk and paint??? doesn't it stay too soft?

I don't know what the wires were that were included in the kit but they look like a sort of florist wire. The kit also includes green twisted fibers sort of like aquarium fibers and some AMSI green foliage. It doesn't look very fine but we shall see. I don't have all my tree making stuff down here with me in Florida (its all back up in the frozen north...) so I'll make this with what I have and see what happens.

Once I hear back from you about the caulk I'll add a thin layer of that to the main trunk and texture it.

Thanks
Angela

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  5:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Angela,

Abaut the caulk..Oops sorry... I think I advised you the "wrong"stuff...I just recieved a message from a mrr friend from the states in wich he explains the differences between caulk and modelling paste...
here it is:
Modeling paste is similar to caulk, but not identical. The paste usually comes in a plastic jar in art stores and is not quite as thick as caulk. Caulk usually comes in a tube of some kind in a hardware store. Small tubes can be squeezed by hand for small applications. Larger cylindrical tubes are used in a caulking gun.

Caulk can be acrylic or latex or urethane or include silicone. As far as I know modeling paste is an acrylic medium with different kinds of fillers to give it different working characteristics. You can easily add acrylic colors and other materials to alter the paste, but caulk is not so easy to add things to.

I use a flexible kind of modelling paste/caulk...I'm still confused what kind of stuff it is.because i can easy add/mix acrylcolors to it!

Jos

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  8:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jos, I'll check out Michael's and Hobby Lobby and AC Moore and see what I can find. Maybe I'll check on the internet first it will be quicker that way. I'll keep you posted.

Angela

Greg Dejanovic
Section Hand

Posted - 03/14/2014 :  08:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is amazing how the tree's look I found some images that might be in line with the topic.http://karenswhimsy.com/tree-clipart.shtm Thanks for sharing Jos

Greg

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  5:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg!

It's early spring but I just want/have to make some autumn kind of shrubs....

in front a HO preiserman

Jos

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  04:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jos, I'll say it again - you are a true treeartist!!!
I'm dying to try this soon.

Angela, welcome!!
Your basic tree structure looks very good!! Now that you take it, the Jos advice, the whole thing, must look fantastic! I can't wait to see....
I am make the O scale trees soon.

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  04:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carmine!

(Large?)0 scale tree with a HO preiserman

Jos

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  10:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW!!!!!!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  10:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed. What a beauty!!

ginosega
New Hire

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  10:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, I am curious how you attached the roots to the tree trunk? Do the root wires continue up into the tree trunk, or are the roots and the tree two separate pieces?

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  10:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, your trees are AWESOME
Can anyone give me a brand of modeling paste that I should look for. There doesn't seem to be much around here and I can buy it on the internet if I know what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Angela

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000