Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  7:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That are some fine looking trees Jos !! Ever thought of using the Mininatur 0,5mm fibers for needles intead of the fine turf ?

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  07:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Martin!
And yes I know to whom you refer to...when talking about using 0,5 mm grassfibers...( Jürgen! He's one of the best!!)
It has to do with the materials I use when making all the other "green"stuff: almost completely with course and fine turf...
So the foliage of all the plants, trees etc. are
more "uniform"- like nature( all of course from a distance)

Jos

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  08:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jos
As usual, the best. Question? Did I read correctly you are using a static gun for the ground work and the longer tree work?
Mike M

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  11:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mike,

Yes I use a static gun to add long and short grass fibers on the frames of the firtrees.
For decudious trees I still use the "wooly/decotwister"fibers first and than , depends of what kind of tree, some 6 mm and 2 mm fibers to immitate the ( small ) branches/twigs on wich the "leaves"will be glued.

Jos

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  12:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jos
excuse my ignorance. What is wooly/decotwister fiber? How do you charge the the tree. Attach the clip to the frame with wet glue.
Thanks
Mike M

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  1:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mike,

quote:
How do you charge the the tree. Attach the clip to the frame with wet glue.

Yes , just attach the clip to the frame/groundpin. The frames I make are all made of "iron"= floristic wires.
btw I only add the sprayglue from beneeth and only the branches with grassfibers.attach the fibers as quickly as you can when the glue is still wett.

I just read through this , well almost...;-) thread and found this post were we discussed this "problem"...
It was written on: Posted - 10/16/2011 : 05:04:19 AM
Well I think there is no "wooly" or"decotwister"in the USA...=(
May be ...may be I think I can help you to fibers you may could use instead of the wooly/decotwisterfibers.
These fibers belong/come from : cheap wigs!!( haloween, carnaval or parties???)...specialy the curled ones, when cut into small short 1/2 an inch pieces...
http://www.wigs-usa.com/images/3-24794-11.jpg or the black ones: http://www.wigs-usa.com/images/77-50744.jpg

Jos

ps the ladies don't look cheap... and please: focus on the wigs/ hairfibers !!!

Edited by - scotchpine on 10/24/2012 5:01:56 PM

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  7:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jos.
The large Pines look awesome.
Beat mine in looks.
Regards
Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  5:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jos, thanks once again for sharing your methods!

I have an idea that I wanted to share. Perhaps you all have used it before. But here it is anyway.
This summer I tried making some Swedish pine trees doing the frames with a variant of the bottlebrush twisting method. I took depending on the thickness of the tree 2-3 thick florist wires laying out one on a table. I then took some thinner wire cut with an appropriate length for the limbs. I then placed these over the thick wire perpendicularly and then glued them to the thick wire using ACC and accelerator. I then placed the other 1-2 wires over this and placed it all in a vise. After that I twisted it with a power drill until the branch wires are sticking out evenly all around. After that I pruned the branches. I then primed it all and added a concoction (I think I picked it up from Martin) of white glue and plaster adding this to build up the trunk. I thought this method works great doing a lot of tree frames fairly quickly.
There are some pictures below.

I hope it can give some ideas.

Thanks,
Håkan

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  6:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, should give it a shot..

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  12:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, I made some poplars and a black poplar, the branches of the finest I have used very fine steel wool 175 grams. I used to glue the sheet of hairspray:

.. I also tried to make a fir, using foliage fibers of synthetic grass and the fine turf of Woodland :

Later I also made #8203;#8203;some aquatic plants of Typha:

Greetings

Carlo

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  12:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful creation Håkan, the idea of Jos to use a drill to twist the wire is good, I'll definitely try it myself. Nice work compliments!!!

Greeting

Carlo

Edited by - Marshall61 on 11/13/2012 12:53:33 AM

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  03:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry Carlo, but the twisted wires by drill isn't Jos's idea. Hakan came up with it..

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  05:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....I'm sorry, I misunderstood the post ..... then congratulations go to Håkan for the idea ....

Greetings

Carlo

Edited by - Marshall61 on 11/13/2012 05:48:10 AM

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  09:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
H0, red leaves,Beechtree( Fagus sylvatica 'purpurea') about 11 inches.
Was very busy making- a lot, firtrees for a mrrfriend of mine so nothing about "new kind of trees" to report.

right now I am more an "armchair mrr! lol

Jos

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2013 :  5:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jos! My jaw just dropped when I saw the picture of your latest creation. Absolutely amazing work!

Those fine leaves, what have you used to model them?

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 01/27/2013 5:19:42 PM

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000